Page 19 of 55 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122232429 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurlbrrw View Post
    Hello all,

I'm having trouble joining the homebrew fun. I've downloaded the webos quick installer on my mac but for some odd reason it fails when it tries to install the novacom driver. The screenshot is attached. I've tried restarting both my TP and my mac and it still won't work. Any ideas?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowshutter View Post
    Started to do the same thing tonight and had the same error message. I feel like I've had this issue before on one occasion with my Pre but can't for the life of me remember how I overcame it other than sheer determination and further attempts. Any help would greatly be appreciated!
    I had the same problem (I think) when I tried to install WebOS QI on my Mac (Lion). I couldn't get it to work, got frustrated and moved onto my Win 7 after some nasty words.

Anyway, there are some threads out there but I think with the Mac - since it doesn't have the driver (?), you need to install Palm_webOS_SDK (the latest version) and then it will recognize the install.

EDIT: This should be the link you want:
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r..._download.html

Install the SDK-PDK and then run your installation on WebOSQI. Plenty of post on how to get it to work if you need more details. :-]

Good Luck.
    Rena
    Last edited by serena_johnston; 08/31/2011 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Added Link
    Quote Originally Posted by serena_johnston View Post
    I had the same problem (I think) when I tried to install WebOS QI on my Mac (Lion). I couldn't get it to work, got frustrated and moved onto my Win 7 after some nasty words.

Anyway, there are some threads out there but I think with the Mac - since it doesn't have the driver (?), you need to install Palm_webOS_SDK (the latest version) and then it will recognize the install.

EDIT: This should be the link you want:
    https://developer.palm.com/content/r..._download.html

Install the SDK-PDK and then run your installation on WebOSQI. Plenty of post on how to get it to work if you need more details. :-]

Good Luck.
    Rena
    I had the same problem with my MacBook Pro running webosquickinstall. I borrowed a little cheap Windows 7 Dell Netbook and had no problem. Do make sure you're in Dev mode on your Touchpad.
    Can you please tell me one important thing? When typing in command line in the terminal do you need spaces?
    For example in this command dd if=/dev/zero of=ubuntu.img bs=1024 count=1900000
    do you hit space after dd, after zero, after img etc...?
    After the first line cd/media/cryptofs I'm seeing a "Not Found" message.
  4.    #364  
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeman7 View Post
    Can you please tell me one important thing? When typing in command line in the terminal do you need spaces?
    For example in this command dd if=/dev/zero of=ubuntu.img bs=1024 count=1900000
    do you hit space after dd, after zero, after img etc...?
    After the first line cd/media/cryptofs I'm seeing a "Not Found" message.
    Yes, there are some spaces in there. Same problem with your second question.

cd /media/cryptofs

NOT cd/media/cryptofs

see the difference?

If you're at all unsure, you can cut/paste the lines directly into a command line using webOS quick install.
    blakeman7 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post

cd /media/cryptofs

NOT cd/media/cryptofs

see the difference?

If you're at all unsure, you can cut/paste the lines directly into a command line using webOS quick install.
    Great idea! Thank you for that idea. Doing the first couple command lines added something to my Touchpad that now gives me an error message when Preware does its feeds update.
    It says "unable to open saved packages database. Transaction failure code 1 unable to open a transaction to the database." Before using terminal I didn't have any error codes in Preware.
    I was thinking about fishing around using a file manager to see what I can find and delete. Its probably a bad idea but I hate the error codes.
    Did I corrupt something?

Update:
    I found the problem. Preware works without errors now.
    I'm having trouble using Webos quickinstall for the Ubuntu code. I copied and pasted all of the code hitting enter after each line and it failed to execute. It let me paste in each line but nothing happened. Do I redo it or do I restart my Touchpad and then add the last line?
    Last edited by blakeman7; 09/01/2011 at 12:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    The questions I am getting asked constantly are answered in my new ZDNet article.
    James Kendrick
    Technology Blogger - ZDNet Mobile News
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
    det66 and vella_ like this.
    Very good, thanks! This should help a lot of the new guys/gals with Touchpads.
    Nice! I especially like the descriptions of the patches (not always in preware) though I don't know if I would suggest the hulu fix quite yet, I am giving it another week to flush out anymore issues. Otherwise great article!
    Amazing compilation! Thanks so much for pulling this together.

I noticed there is a typo in your write-up for Ubuntu - twice you use "ldxe" instead of "lxde" - other than that, it is perfect.
    Nice thanks.

sent from my thunderbolt
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts

cd /media/cryptofs

NOT cd/media/cryptofs

see the difference?

What am I missing here? I entered all the code in the command line terminal and hit enter after each entry and nothings happening. Isn't it suppose to install and load after the last entry?
  12.    #372  
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeman View Post
    What am I missing here? I entered all the code in the command line terminal and hit enter after each entry and nothings happening. Isn't it suppose to install and load after the last entry?
    There was a typo... It's

apt-get install lxde
    lxsession

what part are you stuck at?
    I mentioned a few video problems I had but I went and updated the software again (the first time it said I was updated but apparently was not). Now both the Touchplayer and Hulu work great (I did have to re install the Hulu fix).
    Really interesting post, i can watch movies in great quality with Handbrake!!! i love my 129€ Touchpad!! thanks.

cd /media/cryptofs

NOT cd/media/cryptofs

see the difference?

I got all the way up to type lxsession and the virtual keyboard vanished! It vanished toward the end of the unpacking. In fact my keyboard vanished completely from my touchpad and wouldn't pop up in any app. I closed XServer and restarted it but still no keyboard. Everything is installed and unpacked.
    I had to restart my Touchpad. Now I have keyboard but no Ubuntu. I tried opening XServer and typing lxsession but it's obviously not the right command.
    What do I do? Do I type the last line mount -o loop /media/cryptofs/ubuntu.img /media/ext3fs
    and then proceed? I'm concerned about skipping the lxsession step.
    Do I start back at webosDoctor and start from scratch?
    Last edited by blakeman7; 09/01/2011 at 01:23 PM.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I'm wondering if I did something wrong on the install. Although Preware works well, I can't find many of the patches and fixes that are suggested. Am I missing feeds?
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeman7 View Post
    I got all the way up to type lxsession and the virtual keyboard vanished! It vanished toward the end of the unpacking. In fact my keyboard vanished completely from my touchpad and wouldn't pop up in any app. I closed XServer and restarted it but still no keyboard. Everything is installed and unpacked.
    I had to restart my Touchpad. Now I have keyboard but no Ubuntu. I tried opening XServer and typing lxsession but it's obviously not the right command.
    What do I do? Do I type the last line mount -o loop /media/cryptofs/ubuntu.img /media/ext3fs
    and then proceed? I'm concerned about skipping the lxsession step.
    Do I start back at webosDoctor and start from scratch?
    No, just do a luna restart. I had the same thing happen to me.

the problem now is the keyboard is in the way and i cant see the task bar or hit any of its icons
    Quote Originally Posted by peteostro View Post
    No, just do a luna restart. I had the same thing happen to me.

the problem now is the keyboard is in the way and i cant see the task bar or hit any of its icons
    Hmm didn't realize in webOS you can change the keyboard size.. cool:

The onscreen keyboard has a feature that allows you to change the sizes of the keyboard to fit your usage. With the keyboard up just hold your finger on the key icon (bottom left of the keyboard) and a popup will launch and show you different sizes.
    If you like to see more screen and less keyboard, use the XS size keyboard, and L size keyboard for those with big thumbs like me.
    I didn't have the advanced reset options installed before I did the Ubuntu unpack and bafore losing the keyboard. Now to get the luna restart button installed I have to do a restart so I lose all my Ubuntu work?
    Quote Originally Posted by peteostro View Post
    Hmm didn't realize in webOS you can change the keyboard size.. cool:

The onscreen keyboard has a feature that allows you to change the sizes of the keyboard to fit your usage. With the keyboard up just hold your finger on the key icon (bottom left of the keyboard) and a popup will launch and show you different sizes.
    If you like to see more screen and less keyboard, use the XS size keyboard, and L size keyboard for those with big thumbs like me.
    Nice, but the button is on the bottom right not left