Page 17 of 55 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 27 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
    After I Perform a full erase you said “turn your touchpad completely off” so just to be sure, I do not want to complete the steps choosing a language, setting up Wi-Fi and my webos account?
    Thank you
    Once you get used to the TouchPad and feel comfortable with preware, patching and uberkernal try the F15C kernel with these settings. It FLIES!!!! iPad 2 speed!

"Until then my kernel of choice is F15C @ 1.836 GHz and settings are as follows in govnah
    governor: Ondemand
    min freq: 192mhz
    max freq: 1.836GHz
    sampling rate: 0.01 Sec
    up threshold: 65%
    ignore nice load: false
    powersave bias: 0

I/O Scheduler: NOOP
    TCP Congestion: VENO"

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...omparison.html
    If/when HP releases another update for the touchpad, will things like preware and all of these fixes still work? Should I wait before I implement these fixes?
  4.    #324  
    Quote Originally Posted by madroxinide View Post
    If/when HP releases another update for the touchpad, will things like preware and all of these fixes still work? Should I wait before I implement these fixes?
    The devs behind preware made everything very safe for updating, which means often several patches/fixes will deactivate when a new version of webOS comes out because they are incompatible with the new version.

This is no worry, as they will remain ready to be updated, and it will show you new updates automatically as the scripts/patches/etc get updated for the new version of webOS.

In short, there's no need to really wait or worry, just use them. If an when an update happens you MAY lose some patched functionality, but this is usually extremely temporary (it took a few days to get all my patches back up and running properly after the last Pre- update I installed).

This advice MAY change if we're talking about bleeding-edge experimental kernels (you might be better off returning to stock, depending on what you're doing), but if you're playing with those you already know this ;p.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    My TP isnt getting recognized by any of the webos doctors on either of the 2 computers, ive downloaded it on.

for some reason, when it says installing novacom driver
    (download its)
    then i get a command screen,
    Command Service Failed
    Service Removed

Then I get a confirmation that the NOVAcom Driver was installed sucessfully, and I have restarted TP, and PC and still nothing.

also a lot of the time, its that webos Doctor wont load. it gets stuck on the webos Quick Install logo.

any ideas?
    Last edited by ac921ol; 08/30/2011 at 02:36 PM.
    The quality of video transmitted from Touchpad during skype calls is extremely poor, I tried different lighting positions but that didn't seem to help. Some reviews online mentioned this problem, has anyone experienced this, is this a hardware or software issue. One of the main reasons for buying this tablet was for skype calls and it's pretty unusable for this purpose .
  7.    #327  
    Quote Originally Posted by ac921ol View Post
    My TP isnt getting recognized by any of the webos doctors on either of the 2 computers, ive downloaded it on.

(download its)
    Command Service Failed
    Service Removed

Then I get a confirmation that the NOVAcom Driver was installed sucessfully, and I have restarted TP, and PC and still nothing.

also a lot of the time, its that webos Doctor wont load. it gets stuck on the webos Quick Install logo.

any ideas?
    I'd love to give you ideas but honestly, if you follow the guide it -should- work flawlessly.

If you're having problems, it goes a bit beyond as it's likely something to do with your home pc not installing the drivers correctly.

Try posting your problem on the main board and see what response you get.
    I've spent the past week and a half getting my TP where I want it. I bought two others, one for my wife, and one for my daughter. Is there any way, to clone mine, and load it on their's, then change the accounts info, or do I have to do it all manually for each device?
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    got it working, kernels was off by one letter.
    dual 1.7 here with all the tidbits, love this bad boy for the money spent on it, will be keeping any eye open for 32gig
    Hi All,

I am wondering...how does one install Chrome on the HP Touchpad? Or was that meant to be a joke on the 1st page?

Thanks,
    Rena
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    You need to set your touchpad to developer mode. In the area that says Just type, type in the following without quotes "webos20090606" Select developer mode icon. Do not type in a password! Just press submit.

Quote Originally Posted by ac921ol View Post

(download its)
    Command Service Failed
    Service Removed

any ideas?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    This guide is fantastic! Can't wait to try everything out. I'm new to WebOS but really liking it better than android (except for lack of apps). Hope HP reconsiders reviving it.
    THANKS again!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    I had excellent video when I tried it at home with very fast internet. If the internet speed is slow on either end, the quality will be poor.
    Quote Originally Posted by serena_johnston View Post
    Hi All,

I am wondering...how does one install Chrome on the HP Touchpad? Or was that meant to be a joke on the 1st page?

Thanks,
    Rena

It appears to be running under Ubuntu

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...-touchpad.html

Not for the faint of heart.
    Masspark likes this.
    This is info is probably all included in the touchpad help, but non owners may be interested in the online user guide:

http://www.hpwebos.com/us/support/ha...ouchPad_UG.pdf
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    someone please help, I use grooveshark to play music on my TP but everytime it goes to sleep the music stop...it wasnt like that at first then all of sudden it started doing that...WHAT DO I DO TO MAKE IT PLAY MUSIC EVEN WHEN THE SCREEN IS OFF? PLEASE PLEASE!
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeman7 View Post
    I'm using a Macbook Pro with Lion. Novacom will not finish installing. I get a message to contact the developer. I have the newest version of Java6 sitting as the priority in utilities. And it's in dev mode.
    How do I get this to work?

Also my TP doesn't have 3 options when I plug it into my computer. It has all the updates but still no option to "just charge." It seems really odd it's a missing option when I see pictures of devices with this option.

I'm new to WebOS. I'm familiar with the other two platforms and learning the WebOS tricks. Anything you can tell me will be appreciated.
    To whom it may concern:
    I posted these concerns earlier and never did see it work on my expensive MacBook Pro. I borrowed my sisters little, old, cheap Dell and everything worked like a charm without a hitch.
  18.    #338  
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TouchDroid? View Post
    It appears to be running under Ubuntu

Not for the faint of heart.
    Yeah, I explained that with some work, some effort, and some reading you -could- get chrome running on your touchpad .

I could actually explain a fairly easy way to do it though...... This isn't ideal (it's better to make a specific partition etc), but this will get ubuntu up and working in the EASIEST way in the next couple minutes without any meta-doctoring or linux-knowledge if you REALLY want to do it. Everything will run fast and you'll get a kick out of it. If you decide you want to REALLY utilize ubuntu to the -max- you can easily reverse this process and go through the -harder- steps to get things set up properly on a big partition (that goes beyond the scope of this guide though).

Do this, of course, AT YOUR OWN RISK. This should be -completely safe- but don't get mad if you manage to botch my instructions and need to use webOS doctor to fix your touchpad.

The way we're going to set this up is to run Ubuntu out of a -file-, rather than partitioning a drive etc. There are some downsides to this method (limited space being a big one), but for someone who wants to try out ubuntu on touchpad this is the easiest AND easiest-reversible way to do it.

By the time you're done performing these steps you'll be running Ubuntu with a graphical environment, libreoffice, and of course chrome. You'll also have room to install some other stuff if you want to experiment, it's nice. Follow each step EXACTLY!

So, first you need to download 3 programs from preware. At the moment, these programs are in the TESTING feeds, so you'll have to activate testing feeds in preware. You can find instructions on how to do that here:

http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/Testing_Feeds

Now that your testing feed is installed, go into preware and install:

Xserver
    Xterm
    Xecutah

Now, open up Xecutah on your touchpad.

Xecutah will bring up a window that shows xserver and xterm. Tap on xserver first. That'll load a gray window. Minimize that window temporarily (either using the center home button or with a finger swipe), go back to the card running xecutah, and tap Xterm.

Now minimize xecutah again and go back to your Xserver window (the one that was previously gray). Now it'll be a terminal window showing you root on your touchpad. (you can also perform these steps in webos quick install by going to tools/LinuxCommandline, but in this case I want to get you familiar with xterm).

Now that you're at a terminal command-line, type each of the following lines, followed by hitting the enter key. Bear in mind, some of these actions take a good long time, so don't panic if things don't seem to be moving along - it takes awhile to set up a nearly 2 gigabyte file. Just use the command and set the touchpad aside while it does it's work.

Here are your commands:

cd /media/cryptofs

dd if=/dev/zero of=ubuntu.img bs=1024 count=1900000

mkfs.ext3 -F -b 1024 ubuntu.img 1900000

mkdir /media/ext3fs

mount -o loop /media/cryptofs/ubuntu.img /media/ext3fs

What you've done here is create a file 1.9gigabytes in size (remember, touchpad cannot handle files over 2gb in size). This file has then been mounted and will be used as a virtual "harddrive" for ubuntu.

I'm not including instructions here on how to auto-mount this drive at boot-up. If you reboot your touchpad you will need to mount the drive again before you can load ubuntu (by using that last command above, the "mount -o loop /media/cryptofs/ubuntu.img /media/ext3fs" command, in a linux command line).

If you decide you want to keep using ubuntu regularly (read: heavily) I -highly- suggest you go through the HARDER installation and set up a proper partitioned drive as explained here:

For a casual user, the system I've just lined out will work just fine, just remember to mount the drive before using ubuntu if you have rebooted. I leave it this way to make testing and eventual removal of ubuntu trivial .

So, if you've followed this guide EXACTLY, you now have a file created and mounted ready for ubuntu. Close your xterm/xserver/xecutah cards. Now go into preware and install ubuntu chroot. As it installs, it will automatically populate the file you created for it.

Finally, open back up xecutah. tap on xserver. Minimize xserver to a card and go back to xecutah, select xterm. Minimize xterm and go back to xecutah, select UBUNTU.

Minimize xecutah, go back to the XSERVER/XTERM window.

You're finally here - staring at ubuntu on a command line!!!!! Just a couple more things to do and we'll be set up. Type:

apt-get update

Hit enter and watch as your computer updates apt-get. Once it finishes, type:

apt-get install synaptic

Hit enter. This will install the synaptic package manager - this will make it easier to install things once you're actually in a graphical OS. That comes next. Type:

apt-get install lxde

Hit enter. It'll take awhile to install lxde. Once it finishes, type:

lxsession

Hit enter. TADA! You're in LXDE!!!!! Now you can tap the little globe on the bottom-left and it'll pull up a full blown chrome window, ready for use. Do that now.

There's one problem with chrome, you need to get scroll working for your touchscreen. To do this, go to this website:

http://www.chromeextensions.org/appe...g/chrometouch/

Scroll down and install the -newest- version of chrometouch (it'll be right near the bottom). Once you've done that, you can easily scroll and utilize your touchscreen to navigate chrome. YAY!

Now that you're finished setting up chrome, you can set up anything else you'd like. Tap on the little arrow at the bottom left and it'll pull up a menu with various applications, preferences, etc. If you tap on preferences, you'll find the synaptic package manager. Load this up! Now you can search for packages. This makes it easy to find and install things like libreoffice, gimp, etc.

You're done! Enjoy Ubuntu .

When you're -done- enjoying ubuntu and want to reverse this whole process, you can simply uninstall ubuntu in preware, then go back into a terminal window (whether it's xterm as explained above, or webos quick install). Now type:

rm /media/cryptofs/ubuntu.img

That'll delete the file you created to house ubuntu, along with everything inside it that you've installed/downloaded/etc.

On one quick sidenote as well - if you are using a bluetooth keyboard and want a FULLSCREEN option for ubuntu, go into preware and download tweaks. It'll allow you to tweak things for fullscreen mode with no virtual keyboard. There's also a way to use a built in touch-screen keyboard in ubuntu etc, but I haven't personally messed with it so I'll leave instructions out of this guide.

Thanks to rennat, DTZ, and the whole webos internalz crew for making a guide like this possible . I've cribbed info from all of you and I've hopefully put it in a simple format for someone coming into this blind.

FURTHER READING:
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/UbuntuChroot
    Last edited by ncinerate; 10/11/2011 at 10:09 PM.
    blakeman7 likes this.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I have the most annoying problem with a most basic thing but it's stopping me from starting with installing Ubuntu! Help if you can. I don't have Xserve, Xterm, Xecutah, or UbuntuChroot!. I do have an error message in my Preware app when I update feeds. I have all the Preware apps you would expect to find but I don't have the 4 important ones for Ubuntu.
    Please can someone help with some real know how? I know it has to do with something I did initially with webosquickinstall. I followed the guide to a T and when I saw the error log in Preware I redid the install process. How can I fix this? I prefer a response from a pro user.
  20.    #340  
    Quote Originally Posted by blakeman View Post
    I have the most annoying problem with a most basic thing but it's stopping me from starting with installing Ubuntu! Help if you can. I don't have Xserve, Xterm, Xecutah, or UbuntuChroot!. I do have an error message in my Preware app when I update feeds. I have all the Preware apps you would expect to find but I don't have the 4 important ones for Ubuntu.
    Please can someone help with some real know how? I know it has to do with something I did initially with webosquickinstall. I followed the guide to a T and when I saw the error log in Preware I redid the install process. How can I fix this? I prefer a response from a pro user.
    You know, I've had testing feeds enabled so long that I often forget lots of programs are still -in- testing feeds.

Activate webOS testing feeds and you'll find all the programs you need. This link explains how:

Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals
    blakeman7 likes this.