Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by -BA- View Post
    The other question I have is whether it is possible to access shares from the TP. I have a NAS drive and would dearly love to access my music from it without having to transfer files to the TP. The same for movies to be honest too.
    I used Orb to get to all my network's stuff, including the NAS and server. During setup I just added the folders I wanted Orb to see or if you're past that just open Orb Caster bringing up the Orb Control Panel. Under the User tab click on the Add button under the heading "Import local media files from:" add the folders from your NAS you wish to stream from. As long as whatever computer Orb is on can connect to the other folders you should be able to stream it on your TP through Orb.
  2.    #222  
    Quote Originally Posted by CaFe88 View Post
    a Hulu patch via Preware was added today maybe update the post to add that instead of the directions on how to do it....
    Already mentioned it in the initial post, along with a suggestion to use it instead of my directions.

I think the patch was still in testing feeds when I saw it - I'll remove the instructions fully once it's public.
    Quote Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
    Thanks.

I didn't read it all so bear with...

So, I am wondering why the OP would start a beginner's guide by teaching them to doctor? That's a bit of an advanced skill. It's not for the average user, the WebOS users are by and large, above average. Also, since the update I just did on a coworker's new unit went quickly.

Best to get them setting up their profiles, and getting favorite apps from the real APP CAT, then move on to devmode and preware. Get some patches... Then talk about the Doctor... IMO!

I just feel you'll overwhelm them and they'll walk away shaking their heads, and mount the TPs to the wall as picture frames/clocks in frustration.

Pffft...I skipped the doctor thing. Didn't even bother with it since I had already done about half the OP's guide before reading the guide. I actually used the Orb, Hulu fix and DVD ripper Handbrake but did read all of the post and even a novice could get through it. If I screw up, it's an easy fix without the doctor and it's under warranty--granted no idea when a replacement would come but...lol

I would suggest perhaps putting the doctor at the end, but I get why it's the first thing. So far I've had no need to even put it on my TP and more in likely will not be adding it. But this is just me and I have had LOADS of experience tweaking electronics!
    Quote Originally Posted by shempskidd View Post
    I'm having the same problem!
    Quite possibly has been answered as I have not gotten through the entire thread--which I do suggest that if you have a question(s) you actually read the entire thread before asking as you more in likely will find an answer in the thread--but the original post has been reworded but basically when you plug your TP into your computer don't touch it at all just let it sit there and look bored. Don't touch the USB Storage message that comes up, and if you HAVE to touch something (this is me btw always touching almost everything...) touch cancel. But basically it's a plug it into the computer and forget it for the time being thing.

I also suggest that if you're having problems with the Doctor don't bother with it. It's not a MUST to do before anything else or at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by werkx View Post
    cool. so i installed the recommended patches/apps, except for the remove tap ripple patch. i like it, and it's an immediate visual differentiator from my android tablet. i might remove it later once the novelty wears off.

anyway, got a few questions: 1) i can't find internalz in the hp app catalog as noted by developer of the internalz pro. no biggie, i can handle the pro version, just thought it was interesting that i couldn't find it; 2) within preware, i see NesEm by kalemsoft, but no description. anyone know? is this similar to superNES app from hp app catalog? 3) there is an Unknown packaged installed called 'This is a webOS application. is this part of the stock OS or was it installed as part of Preware patch/app?

by the way, i also installed the Increase Touchpad Volume booster (lite). nice.
    I like the ripple thing too.

NesEm is a Nintendo Emulator much like the SuperNES one in the HP App Catalog. BUT! YOU have to supply the roms for it as it doesn't come with any just like the SuperNES one. They are relatively easy to find if you know where to look. As I do not know how the Admins here feel about torrent stuff and am not about to start teaching people about it, you're going to have to use the almighty Google/Bing for this one kiddos!
    Quote Originally Posted by snooks570 View Post
    Not sure if this was asked and answered. I apologize if it was. Is there any way to get MSN messenger on the TP? Thank you in advance.
    Check out this post right here for the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by beaker_ View Post
    Right... bit late for that one. So... how do I break into this puppy when nothing wants to play nice. Novacom doesn't want to attach period... sounds like anther thread I guess.
    Yeah, you're going to have to do a reset in order to do anything as far as I know.
    Quote Originally Posted by vladoski View Post
    Everyone installing all 34 patches (except for choosing one ad blocker)?
    You don't HAVE to install all the patches, just the ones you wish to install. It's your TP, do with it as you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by sc00ter View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc00ter
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for the great post as I this tablet thing is so overwhelming.
    I have a question about the web browser. It seems if I want to check hotmail for some reason the touchpad doesn't work with msn (silverlight). are there any other browser options out there? thanks
    How To: Set Up Your MSN or Hotmail Email Account on the HP TouchPad | TouchPad Talk

How To: Set Up Your MSN or Hotmail Email Account On The HP TouchPad Using Microsoft Exchange | TouchPad Talk

That should get your hotmail working

thanks for your reply but I was referring to checking hotmail via the hp browser. I was successful in setting it up hotmail via the 'email set up' but since the TouchPad is shared I don't want others to be able to access my email. If I go onto hotmail.com it allows me to enter my email and password but then I get an error message from msn saying I can access my email.

At this time it would seem that the only way to see your MSN/Hotmail emails is through the email function on the TP as Windows Live offers no other way to do mobile email on any device. I have tried the home.live.com/allservices as well and have had no luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Wow, over 10,000 views and 200 comments! I figured I'd help a few people, I had no idea this post would take off like this.

Thanks everyone for your kind words!
    The original post was sweet and encouraged me to join the forum. I am a Droid tablet and phone user who is just now getting into webos thanks to the fire sale. These boards are great.

I'll say this. Rooting and customizing the Touchpad seems quite a bit simpler than Droid
    Quick Orb question -- All of my streamed videos off the home computer to my TP have the final minute or two cut off. These are 22min TV episodes (and I know they're complete at home). Any ideas on what's causing this or how to fix it?
    I downloaded the touchplayer and loaded it via WebosQuick installer.

When I play an avi file (from the TP hdd) the video is just colored blobs. The audio is fine. Anyone else having this problem?
    Is there a setting to change?
    Thanks a bunch Ncinerate,

This guide is the best thing (next to the Touchpad deal itself :-)). Very helpful info in a concise, entertaining manner for newbies like me. Kudos to everyone else's comments on additional stuff. I am going to keep coming back to this thread again and again. Made me more confident of the WebOS now. Thanks again.
    I have gotten the 'invalid' serial number. Downloaded the 3.0.2 WebOsDoctor from webos internals (using the link provided). What downloads iz a zip file. I unzip it, and there appears to be no instalation file.

I used the search feature to see if this has been covered, using multiple variations of terms, but got no hits. I appologize if this has been covered already.

Can someone help?

Nevermind: Renamed to a .jar file and worked. IDN why Vista (i know) insisted this was a zip file.
    Last edited by john31874; 08/27/2011 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Problem Solved
    Hey, I tried searching around, but how does using using the developer mode affect a Warranty ? I know HP gives the 1 year to all these $99 touchpads, and wasn't sure how this would affect that or not... if it doesn't affect the warrantys then I'd be all for it... if it does affect it, I might just hold off for a little.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    Big ups for posting this!
    First off I want to say hello to all, and thank you for this post, for the most part it has ben very helpful.

I have read over the op and did exactly what is says to do.
    I am having a few issues im hoping someone here can help me with

The section that tlaks about the uber kernel:
    While you're in preware, there are other things you might consider doing. For example, you'll find the uberkernel there (which allows overclocking to 1.5ghz - a speed supported by the processor) and govna, a program which will allow you to actually perform this speed upgrade. I will not specifically walk you through how to use govna to set up uberkernel, you will need to do a little work and at least read about the potential risks. It's incredibly safe at this clock level (the same exact chip is already clocked to this speed stock in other devices), but I'll still leave it up to you.

Relevant reading:
    WebOS Internals Uber-Kernel

I read the included links, installed the kernel just fine, rebooted as asked, then installed govnah

In the ops statement it says it allows overclocking to 1.5g, when i open govnah and select alm default the max frequency is 1.188ghz not the 1.5ghz. even when I look around at the custom profile the max setting is only 1.188ghz. How do I get it to 1.5ghz as noted in the op?

The other i am having is one of the suggested patch's is the "increase touch sensitivity and smoothness"
    I click on it and hit install, and all i get is the "error installing" message. when i click the log i have no idea what i am looking at, most everything says "nothing interesting" but the postinst shows>unable to run command: ipkg_offline_root=/media/cryptofs/apps/bin/sh/media/cryptofs/apps/usr/lib/ipkg/info/org.webosinternals.patches.misc-increase-touch-sensitivity-and-smoothness.postinst 2>&1
    then in dark red print it shows-reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! assume -r? [n]
    apply anyway? [n]
    2 out of 2 hunks ignored--saving rejects to file etc/palm/luna.conf.re

then under the "remove" header it shows>
    removing package org.webosinternals.patches.misc-increase-touch-sensitivity-and-smoothness from root
    (offline root mode: not running org.webosinternals.patches.misc-increase-touch-sensitivity-and-smoothness.prerm)

Hopefully you guys will know all what that means.
    This patch seems to be one of if not the most important patch to do, and I cant get it to install. all the other patches listed in the op installed just fine.

Thanks for any help you can give me
    Hitch
    I get an error on some of the patches. Like the touch sensitivity one. Any ideas why?
    "The section that tlaks about the uber kernel:
    While you're in preware, there are other things you might consider doing. For example, you'll find the uberkernel there (which allows overclocking to 1.5ghz - a speed supported by the processor) and govna, a program which will allow you to actually perform this speed upgrade. I will not specifically walk you through how to use govna to set up uberkernel, you will need to do a little work and at least read about the potential risks. It's incredibly safe at this clock level (the same exact chip is already clocked to this speed stock in other devices), but I'll still leave it up to you.

Relevant reading:
    WebOS Internals Uber-Kernel

I read the included links, installed the kernel just fine, rebooted as asked, then installed govnah

In the ops statement it says it allows overclocking to 1.5g, when i open govnah and select alm default the max frequency is 1.188ghz not the 1.5ghz. even when I look around at the custom profile the max setting is only 1.188ghz. How do I get it to 1.5ghz as noted in the op?"

I had the same problem. I solved it by uninstalling Uberkernel, luna reset, and then reinstall Uberkernal. Hope that helps.
    Last edited by toaste; 08/27/2011 at 02:21 PM. Reason: clarity of response
    accidentally deleting apps.

Hi,
    al
    After I installed preware witht he recommended patches, now, when I hold my finger on the app, I get a little x on the upper left hand side, where an app can get deleted.

The problem is that my kid can accidentally delete the app, is there any way to disable this, or do you know which app enabled this feature?

I don't remember this feature there before I installed preware and the recommended installs.