Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151621 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
    Ncinerate:

I discovered something last night/this morning you may want to add to the sticky.

Okay so I tried to update through doctor. So first it got stuck at 62% program crashed according to windows.
    Second time got 100%. (Note I read somewhere else if you are over 82%, the update took).

So my TP was stuck on the HP logo and would not turn on.

Reset "hold power button and keep pressing home button" (did not do anything).

Full erase "hold power, volume down and home button" (did not do anything).

Well, I was frustrated last night so I plugged it in (not the touchstone) and this morning it was fine asking for setup.

Since I am coming from a droid x phone (rooted), when I root/flash/etc the logo on the phone rotates at least lets me know its working and reboots quickly. The TP does not. The moral is PATIENCE, all though it may look like it is in recovery mode or wont start, plug it up, have a beer, watch a show, etc.... and then come back to it.
    I had the same issue. I couldn't for the life of my figure out why it wouldn't let me go into that USB mode. I just had to let it start back up after the "full erase" then hold the power button down and select turn off device. then after it shut down, I turned it on and held the power button and volume with the usb cable plugged in and voila.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    HP touch pad is an awesome device> It's operating speed is very fast and it is one of the fastest touch pad I have ever seen. This touch pad looks very decent than other touch pads and it is not very expensive like touch pads of Apple. It is affordable also.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Since it's not recommended to do the OS Doctor since people have been having issues, is it safe enough to do the speed up stuff or should we wait on everything?
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Can anyone please help me with this error:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Ok Drachen. You need Novacom installed - did the webos quick install program install novacom? Your touchpad is plugged into the computer and NOT in usb storage mode right?

Try rebooting your computer. If that doesnt work, try plugging the touchpad into a different usb port. If that fails, try plugging it into a usb port while webos quick install is open.

You should see the touchpad get recognized... If it's not happening let us know and we'll try and help out .
    I'm using a Macbook Pro with Lion. Novacom will not finish installing. I get a message to contact the developer. I have the newest version of Java6 sitting as the priority in utilities. And it's in dev mode.
    How do I get this to work?

Also my TP doesn't have 3 options when I plug it into my computer. It has all the updates but still no option to "just charge." It seems really odd it's a missing option when I see pictures of devices with this option.

I'm new to WebOS. I'm familiar with the other two platforms and learning the WebOS tricks. Anything you can tell me will be appreciated.
    mailtms likes this.
    Got the touchpad yesterday and was not really impressed. After reading the original post and following directions i'm liking it much more. I find it better to browse some websites like Reddit better than on my main pc!

Once preware is installed is my touchpad considered rooted?
  8.    #208  
    Quote Originally Posted by foladar View Post
    Since it's not recommended to do the OS Doctor since people have been having issues, is it safe enough to do the speed up stuff or should we wait on everything?
    Honestly, at this point I'd suggest just waiting on 3.0.2 to install on your device. It'll happen - you can probably force it in the updater by trying to update late at night, or it will happen all by itself in the next few days.

There's at least 3 reports of bricking, out of all the people using this forum and performing the basic steps to webos update using the doctor. Which that -is- a small sampling, I just don't feel right telling people to use webos doctor to update their pre to 3.0.2 if there's even a slight chance you might render the pad inoperable.

Chances are, it'd be completely safe if you performed the steps as listed. It's a risk you can choose to take.

Installing all the fixes on 3.0.0 will likely require several of them to be re-applied when you do get updated to 3.0.2.. Just wait until you are updated.
  9.    #209  
    Quote Originally Posted by sderenne View Post
    Got the touchpad yesterday and was not really impressed. After reading the original post and following directions i'm liking it much more. I find it better to browse some websites like Reddit better than on my main pc!

The touchpad is basically "rooted" right out of the box. HP/palm have always maintained webos as an extremely open platform. They aren't trying to keep you from hacking on the device or installing whatever you'd like. So, yeah, installing preware is basically considered "rooted", but you had root control the whole time (or at least once you activated developer mode).
    Quote Originally Posted by sderenne View Post
    There is no "rooting" on webOS devices because Palm(HP) allows you to access the Developer Mode openly (they don't lock it up to require "rooting"). But in essence - yes. Once you install Preware, the whole world of patching, and Homebrew is opened up without repercussions. If you ever mess it up, you can simply run the Doctor and take the device back to factory settings.
    did anyone else notice the digicamera app doesnt seem to exist...?
    Did everything up to the Hulu fix.
    For some reason the WebOS Quick Installer is not showing a tools tab so I cannot get the linux command line
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Thank you so much for this guide. My touchpad is so awesome now. This is the best $90.92 I have ever spent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterre View Post
    Did everything up to the Hulu fix.
    For some reason the WebOS Quick Installer is not showing a tools tab so I cannot get the linux command line
    That confused me too. It turns out it's a Tools menu, not a tab. So just look at the menu bar of the Quick Installer after you open it.
    Thanks that worked. It took me a few minutes to figure out to right click in the linux window to paste.
    I had to load java as well but it is working great.
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Honestly, at this point I'd suggest just waiting on 3.0.2 to install on your device. It'll happen - you can probably force it in the updater by trying to update late at night, or it will happen all by itself in the next few days.

There's at least 3 reports of bricking, out of all the people using this forum and performing the basic steps to webos update using the doctor. Which that -is- a small sampling, I just don't feel right telling people to use webos doctor to update their pre to 3.0.2 if there's even a slight chance you might render the pad inoperable.

Chances are, it'd be completely safe if you performed the steps as listed. It's a risk you can choose to take.

Installing all the fixes on 3.0.0 will likely require several of them to be re-applied when you do get updated to 3.0.2.. Just wait until you are updated.
    Both devices are already updated to 3.0.2, so it's safe enough to run the speed patches without putting doctor on the device, or should that be installed and it's safe as long as you have 3.0.2?
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I installed these I think are pretty good

Tap note light for taking notes
    Dev mode button
    Preware
    pReader
    KalemSoft Video player ( not free)
    MediPDA
    Digicamera Light

Software updated
    then some patches suggested

I like it so far just took some reading work and then boom its set up and runs great.
    Great help! Thank you all for doing this. It is appreciated.
  19.    #219  
    Quote Originally Posted by foladar View Post
    Both devices are already updated to 3.0.2, so it's safe enough to run the speed patches without putting doctor on the device, or should that be installed and it's safe as long as you have 3.0.2?
    Yes, totally safe once you have 3.0.2. Patch away!
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    a Hulu patch via Preware was added today maybe update the post to add that instead of the directions on how to do it....