Page 10 of 55 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 20 ... LastLast
Like Tree309Likes
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    When importing photos should I just drag and drop them into the them dcim folder? I was going to put in some of my favs for exibition mode.
    CBS is available via PlayOn...
    Just got my new TP.

When I try to download WebDoctor I keep getting a message saying the serial number is not valid.
    Last edited by mikegold; 08/26/2011 at 11:57 AM.
    Hello all, TP newbie here -- I have a Mac OSX.5 Leopard and downloaded the webOS program, got the TP in developer mode, plugged it into my computer and tried to launch webOS, and it appears in the dock for a second then vanishes. This would seem like I don't have Java, or updated Java, but my updates are up-to-date and I see Java v. 6xx in my list of programs. What the heck am I doing wrong? (I am relatively unschooled in Mac innards as well, even though I have solid PC geek cred, so go easy on me....)

Thanks in advance!
    mailtms likes this.
    I have a question about the orb streaming. I have a lot of .Mkv files for movies on my pc. Can orb stream all types of movie files or just certain ones?
  6.    #186  
    Quote Originally Posted by Willup View Post
    I have a question about the orb streaming. I have a lot of .Mkv files for movies on my pc. Can orb stream all types of movie files or just certain ones?
    It can stream most types of videos, and probably even mkv, but everything I'm reading says .mkv performance is lacking - it sounds like you're better off streaming smaller files more geared towards average players and resolutions.

Also bear in mind, on the typical upstream bandwidth we have here, you won't be streaming in high definition anyway . I have pretty damn good quality on my stream, but it is clearly not high def.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Thanks OP for this EXCELLENT guide! I'm new to webOS and tablets and this has been a great guide to getting the tablet to where I need it to be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    I was having trouble using the ##LOGS## thing from the dialer (kept getting an error about not having items paired) and discovered you can access the same screen another way:

Settings (same screen as you use to get to your apps, far right tab) -> Device Info
    Click the upper left-hand corner (Device Info) and select "Diagnostics"
    Click the upper left-hand corner again (Diagnostics) and select "Collect Logs"
    Click "Change Logging Levels" and switch to minimal

I hope this helps anyone else like me who was having trouble with the ##LOGS## route (or maybe doesn't want to install Skype for whatever reason).
    Quote Originally Posted by nep301 View Post
    The number to dial is actually ##LOGS#, without the extra # at the end.
    LMAO! I did the same thing. I kept typing the extra # and could not get it work. Finally after 4 hours of playing around I realized my error. Hopefully someone who does the same thing comes across your post before wasting a bunch of their time.
    necij likes this.
  8.    #188  
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisjpopp View Post
    One of the questions I have been asking has been "How do I put a DVD on my HP Touchpad"?

Sure, there's digital copies that are included these days with your Blu-Ray DVD combo pack or via iTunes. But if you have a old copy of Aladdin that your daughter wants to watch ad nausuem, what do you do then?

Are there suggestions for software from the community, perhaps a compass for those that are green?

Type in DVD on Touchpad and you get a lot of sites that look the same and probably are the same company. But with the LARGE amount of new Touchpad users that are looking for answers I have to ask if many of those websites are not what they seem and can be dangerous (malware, trojans, etc).

Another problem with a learning curve that we as a community can help with is the fact that these software packages say "Android" or "iPod" or "iPhone" but Touchpad is not listed because of the lack of time on the market and I don't see those software packages getting updates to list TP as a choice when asking "Where do you want your movie?".

I'm more than happy to help the community (are we "webOS'ers? touchstoners? stoners? subject for another thread) by creating tutorials with pretty pictures...
    If you want to rip or create a file that will play beautifully on the touchpad, here's what you do:

First, get your hands on handbrake, it's free and you can find it here:

HandBrake

Now run handbrake and pop in the DVD you want to rip. A dialog box will pop up asking you if you want to rip the DVD.

Now you need to set up your settings to properly rip this for your touchpad. Recommended settings are:

Preset = IPAD (it's on the right hand side of the handbrake window)

Now click on the various tabs under OUTPUT SETTINGS (PRESET: IPAD), you want to adjust several settings for a perfect touchpad rip.

Under audio tab:
    Audio (mixdown tab) = stereo

Under picture tab:

Anamorphic = none

Under advanced tab:

Maximum B frames = 0
    Framerate = same as source

Now set a destination file for your ripped file and start ripping. Tada, a perfect rip specifically ripped for your touchpad that will take advantage of it's native resolution etc. You can do the same thing with any other video file you might have to make it touchpad-compatible. It also saves quite a bit of space - a nearly 600 megabyte 1080P mkv file will wind up being cut down to roughly 100-120 megabytes. That allows you to store an insane amount of video if you utilize this method to encode your videos (on a 32 gig touchpad that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 26 hours -straight- worth of video at the highest possible quality the touchpad can play).
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    It can stream most types of videos, and probably even mkv, but everything I'm reading says .mkv performance is lacking - it sounds like you're better off streaming smaller files more geared towards average players and resolutions.

Also bear in mind, on the typical upstream bandwidth we have here, you won't be streaming in high definition anyway . I have pretty damn good quality on my stream, but it is clearly not high def.
    Thanks for the info sadly about 40% of my videos are .mkv at 720p or greater. I will still give it a shot to see how things go lol.
    If you want to rip or create a file that will play beautifully on the touchpad, here's what you do:

First, get your hands on handbrake, it's free and you can find it here:

HandBrake

Now run handbrake and pop in the DVD you want to rip. A dialog box will pop up asking you if you want to rip the DVD.

Now you need to set up your settings to properly rip this for your touchpad. Recommended settings are:

Preset = IPAD (it's on the right hand side of the handbrake window)

Now click on the various tabs under OUTPUT SETTINGS (PRESET: IPAD), you want to adjust several settings for a perfect touchpad rip.

Under audio tab:
    Audio (mixdown tab) = stereo

Under picture tab:

Anamorphic = none

Under advanced tab:

Maximum B frames = 0
    Framerate = same as source

Now set a destination file for your ripped file and start ripping. Tada, a perfect rip specifically ripped for your touchpad that will take advantage of it's native resolution etc. You can do the same thing with any other video file you might have to make it touchpad-compatible. It also saves quite a bit of space - a nearly 600 megabyte 1080P mkv file will wind up being cut down to roughly 100-120 megabytes. That allows you to store an insane amount of video if you utilize this method to encode your videos (on a 32 gig touchpad that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 26 hours -straight- worth of video at the highest possible quality the touchpad can play).
    Even better I will convert my mkvs Thanks for all the information guys!! New to this forum and already enjoying the quick responses and help!
    Does anyone have a link to the highest bitrate / quality / dimensions that the TouchPad can play without stuttering?

Obviously, there's no point in going past 1024 wide or 768 high (so, 16:9 HD should be converted to no higher than 1024x576), but can the TP reliably play high-bitrate videos at 1024x576? Are there any tricks for getting the perfect-looking video?

I'm not interested in knowing about preset names, I'm interested in encoding parameters... Maybe someone with Handbrake can tell me what the actual parameters are for the iPad setting?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegold View Post
    Just got my new TP.

When I try to download WebDoctor I keep getting a message saying the serial number is not valid.
    i'm getting the same issue here. this is getting a little frustrating. It won't update from OTA and now I can't get the Webdoctor to download...
  13.    #193  
    Quote Originally Posted by pandorazboxx View Post
    i'm getting the same issue here. this is getting a little frustrating. It won't update from OTA and now I can't get the Webdoctor to download...
    Try downloading it manually here:

Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    Try downloading it manually here:

Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    Much obliged. this should be added to the OP.
    never mind I'm a dummy and somehow I kept skipping over that part on the OP. Thanks though!
  16.    #196  
    Quote Originally Posted by pandorazboxx View Post
    Much obliged. this should be added to the OP.
    Way ahead of ya ;p.

Added it as soon as you raised the issue. I really look forward to palm's servers getting a bit more in-line and updating people normally. WebOS doctor can cause some gray hairs from time to time.

Remember to perform a full erase before running it, and be fully charged. Failure to follow the procedures could make for an annoying process of recovery .
    Quote Originally Posted by Krenster View Post
    Hello all, TP newbie here -- I have a Mac OSX.5 Leopard and downloaded the webOS program, got the TP in developer mode, plugged it into my computer and tried to launch webOS, and it appears in the dock for a second then vanishes. This would seem like I don't have Java, or updated Java, but my updates are up-to-date and I see Java v. 6xx in my list of programs. What the heck am I doing wrong? (I am relatively unschooled in Mac innards as well, even though I have solid PC geek cred, so go easy on me....)

Thanks in advance!
    If you go into Applications/Utilities/Java Preferences on your Mac and open it you'll see the versions of Java that are installed. You can drag the Java SE 6 to the top of the list which will give that version highest priority. Worked for me so hopefully that helps you too.
  18.    #198  
    In light of several threads having issues with webOS doctor I went ahead and updated the original thread to reflect this and recommend avoiding webOS doctor until there's been some resolution to those people's issues.
    Thanks a lot. I am new to WebOS (I'm a French Android user), the guide helped me like big time.
  20.    #200  
    Wow, over 10,000 views and 200 comments! I figured I'd help a few people, I had no idea this post would take off like this.

Thanks everyone for your kind words!
    fredewins likes this.