webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Camera not working...
Camera not working...

Old 08/22/2011, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi , Just got a touchpad , I have tried to install the Camera app and all I get is a black screen . I first tried it after I installed preware and had added quite a few patches and also overclocked it ... The app would open to the first screen and the Camera button would pop up but the screen just stay black. So I did some searching about the problem and didn't come up with much. So I took off the patches an overclocking and tried again.. still no joy... So i did a full reset and tried to install it without anything else added ... Still getting black screen ... Have not had a chance to video Skype anyone , but the audio test call works . Anybody have a similar experience or have any advice or info ?
27scoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 09:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Man no help at all ?
Old 08/22/2011, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Just a lil bit ?
Old 08/22/2011, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

maybe some of the guys that just bought 17 online and are bragging about them can sell you one for $400.
Copene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 09:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

It's been a busy day, a lot of threads have been dropping off before anyone sees 'em. Wish I could help you, but I don't have a TouchPad yet.
Old 08/22/2011, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 27scoob View Post
Just a lil bit ?

My camera is VERY dark too. Make sure you are in a well lit area.
jcohengd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/22/2011, 09:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I will try that ... waiting on a friend to try Skype
Old 08/22/2011, 09:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

No joy .... call kept dropping and no video...
Old 08/23/2011, 07:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

I guess I will have to try tech support ...
Old 08/23/2011, 08:41 AM   #10 (permalink)

Skype video calls have been known to only work when the other party is on a PC. I tried to call my wife on her Epic 4G and it didnt work.

Not sure why your camera app isnt working. Try another app or reinstall that one.
Old 08/24/2011, 08:51 AM   #11 (permalink)

Well I got the camera app to work had to several restarts on the device to get it to work . So if you have the same problem try that. Also in my research I have read that if you have an overclocking kernel it can cause it not to work also , so heads up on that. Thanks everybody for the help and input. Cheers...

Too bad about the to to to Skype .. that is silly that it only works with a p.c and not other devices...

Last edited by 27scoob; 08/24/2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: p.s.
Old 08/24/2011, 08:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

Did you upgrade your webOS software? Go to your "Updates" and download 3.0.2 version. That's a must needed upgrade right after you buy your TouchPad
hirenpathak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/07/2011, 08:26 PM   #13 (permalink)

I updated SW after unboxing (had 2/3 battery so I did not give a full charge on open), added apps including a couple free camera apps & set up Skype. No camera function in any app. Thought I might have to send in for repair

After reading the web, I put the TP on the Touchstone overnight for full charge. Then again from these threads did a shutdown and restart. The camera then worked! Whew.

Won't work for everyone but possibly a few.
TheKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/07/2012, 07:29 PM   #14 (permalink)

I need assistance with getting the mojo camera to function on my touchpad. This occurred when i sent it to the techies at HP because a startup problem . That issue was fixed but it came back with no video or camera functioning. Chatting with them does not resolve problem.
bombero54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/09/2012, 12:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

Please start a new thread rather than bumping one that's a year old. Anyway, can you be more specific? Which camera app are you using, the one with 3.0.4+ or a third party one? If you're using the stock version, do you see just the camera logo or a blank screen? Any camera controls?
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2012, 02:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMMan View Post
Please start a new thread rather than bumping one that's a year old.
discouraged from waking up old threads that pertain to your topic? Wow. That's new for me.

Anyway, I am on 3.0.5 and experiencing the same problem. It appears something from homebrew or preware has knocked out my camera. I'd just gotten back from HP for repair of the camera and it worked. I reinstalled HB & PW last night and the cam is gone again. The app starts but fails to start the camera. Happens in 3rd party cam apps, too.

there's a patch somewhere breaking the camera. A complete format and web os doc couldn't bring it back the first time. At some point I guess I'll try to work backwards removing PW & HB to see if it comes back.
c_w_j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/24/2012, 05:11 PM   #17 (permalink)

I'm having a similar problem, but not as extensively -- my camera works when I just start the camera, but I cannot send video in Skype. And that was calling a pc.

I have some patches, as well as UberKernal. I wonder, like c_w_j, if something there broke the camera in Skype.
Old 12/01/2012, 07:21 PM   #18 (permalink)

Hi,
Same issue here. Was working some time ago, not working now, same symptoms.
To tell the thruth, I installed tonight CM9 and the camera patch, and I had a "can't connect to camera" message while it's supposed to work properly.
Went back to WebOS and that's when I noticed my camera was not working anymore...
gillesc is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0