Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By balla2g2
  1.    #1  
    Guys,

I've been wanting to get a TouchPad for a while, but decided to wait until Christmas. Now with news that they have been discontinued... I mean, is it really worth it now? Will there still be support, and more importantly, updates to the software?

Thanks
    Its $99 - $149 with a one year warrenty. I say what do you have to lose. If you get one year out of it you are doing good. Don't eat fast food for two months and you see how fast you get $99 dollars back
    considering there are digital photo frames with crapper screens and lower resolutions that sell for higher than $99, I'd say this is a good buy.

Regardless of updates, you have a good web browser and email client that you can view photos and watch movies on.

Expect only to get that much out of it and you will be happy. For $99 it cannot be beat, thats why there is this firesale craze. However, the devs at HP keep saying webOS will not go away and they will continue to work on it. Take from that what you will.
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    For $99 bucks it's the best tablet bang for the buck. Just remember, you ARE buying a discontinued device, so expect that level of support. Besides, even if WebOS bites the dust, there's already a team porting a version of Android for it...
    *nod*

Let the techblogs convince you: $99 isn't a good deal for an unsupported tablet computer, with a meager app ecosystem.

Let me tell you: $99 is a ****ing steal for for any of the following - a mobile webbrowser / email client with flash; Kindle e-reader; MP3 Jukebox with Beats Audio; Angry Birds arcade...instead you're getting one with everything built in.

I think your deal is airtight.

Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    $99, new in the box with 1 year warranty! Better than a $250 Nook!

Better than a $99 Chinese, or off-brand, resistive-screen Android tablet!

It runs WebOs! It's 1.2ghz! It's the size of an iPad!

They're also looking to port Android to it, hopefully, which may add better long-run support of the hardware via community (crossing fingers for CM7/CM8 support)
    Last edited by Kujila; 08/22/2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: changed my wording
    The main thing is what do you intend to do with it? Do you just need a go between of a phone and a PC?
  8.    #8  
    Well, I do have a nookcolor that I use for surfing the web, checking email, and reading books while I'm sitting on the couch at home. So, yeah......I think this is worth it!!

Thanks everyone for the thoughts and advice!
    The question is not 'should I buy', rather it's 'CAN I buy'. My guess is no, unless they are planning on losing 200 bucks + a unit for a second run. Or you can buy one for original retail on Ebay.

Interesting stat of the day.... last week prior to the pricedrop, there were about 500 or so Touchpads on eBay. Now, over 3k.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I was looking everywhere yesterday for a Tocuhpad and could not find one. Is there any way to get one now at the fire sale price? Thanks
    [i'm new to the community so if i'm quoting old info please correct me...]

but aren't there still issues with the Kindle app?

that seems to be the impression that i'm getting from reading some old threads and something that i read from a launch-day TP review.

Quote Originally Posted by LocalH210 View Post
    Let me tell you: $99 is a ****ing steal for for any of the following - a mobile webbrowser / email client with flash; Kindle e-reader; MP3 Jukebox with Beats Audio; Angry Birds arcade...instead you're getting one with everything built in.

I think your deal is airtight.

I haven't used Kindle a lot but never had issues with it. I think people complained initially that you can't side load books to it. That meaning you can't buy a book from B&N and load into that app. This is true of ALL Kindle apps regardless of device. Other complaints of kindle in general include inability to rent/borrow books with the app. If your local library had ebook checkouts kindle won't work. Nook will but B&N did not publish an app and at this point probably won't. Best bet for that cause is to see if someone releases an app that conforms to epub standards. Long story short Kindle kinda sucks cause its like Apple... it works with what it wants to work with and thats about it.

</rant>
    Quote Originally Posted by professionalbum View Post
    I haven't used Kindle a lot but never had issues with it. I think people complained initially that you can't side load books to it. That meaning you can't buy a book from B&N and load into that app. This is true of ALL Kindle apps regardless of device. Other complaints of kindle in general include inability to rent/borrow books with the app. If your local library had ebook checkouts kindle won't work. Nook will but B&N did not publish an app and at this point probably won't. Best bet for that cause is to see if someone releases an app that conforms to epub standards. Long story short Kindle kinda sucks cause its like Apple... it works with what it wants to work with and thats about it.

</rant>
    OK...thanks.