Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Like many people I recently bought a touchpad.

At first, the accelerometer worked alright, and I could change from portrait to landscape mode. However, after using the device for a while, updating to 3.0.2 and restarting multiple times, I can not change the rotation of the screen and I am permanently in portrait mode. Videos do still show in landscape though.

Any ideas as to what is causing this or how it can be fixed? Thanks.
    is rotation lock turned on?
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    TravisAntonio likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    is rotation lock turned on?
    I suppose I didn't mention it, but of course it isn't. First thing I checked.
    Doctor Doctor
    Quote Originally Posted by alakalaka99 View Post
    I suppose I didn't mention it, but of course it isn't. First thing I checked.
    Go to Device Info. From the File Menu, select "Diagnostics..." Give the Compass and Screen test a try.
    Last edited by IICODECll; 08/22/2011 at 02:16 AM. Reason: *** Added screen test.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by IICODECll View Post
    Go to Device Info. From the File Menu, select "Diagnostics..." Give the Compass and Screen test a try.
    Tried most of the tests including Screen and Compass. No response on the compass test, and the Screen tests, the first and second went fine, but no response on the rotating portion. The diagnostics seem to tell you that something is wrong, but no clue as to why or how to fix it...
  7.    #7  
    I just ran the WebOS Doctor program, reinstalled everything, and still no screen rotate. Is it likely that my accelerometer is just broken? How often does this happen?
    bad guess, certain apps run only in portrait mode. Reset procedure?
    Just received mine this morning, exact same problems. Stuck on landscape.. It will shortly turn to portrait when the tablet is turned, but will turn back immediately.
    The diagnostics have the same results, compass fails, and the orientation screen test fails.
    Have downloaded a seismograph app, which shows the Y&Z axis function, however the X axis fails.
    Any solution or next step I can take? I have an Android Tablet to work in landscape, would like to use WebOS in portrait.

Thanks in advanced, good to become part of a new community!
    Contact HP for warranty repair/replacement.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    524 Global Posts
    I kind of wish the accelerometer didn't work. It's far too sensitive for my liking. Good thing there's rotation lock!
    Last edited by Tikerz; 08/30/2011 at 02:57 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikerz View Post
    I kind of wish the accelerometer didn't work. It's far to sensitive for my liking. Good thing there's rotation lock!
    Yeah I am pretty much always in portrait rotation lock. Setting up the wifes last night, can't rotation lock on initial setup and in 3.0.0 I thought I was gonna go insane every time the screen rotated.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Contact HP for warranty repair/replacement.
    Bought it in France, I am from the Netherlands.. Does HP have worldwide warranty?
    It's worth giving them a call. They may not cover all of the shipping or something if you are in an "unsupported" country. But they are a worldwide retailer, so no reason not to call.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    My 32 GB just arrived with accelerometer defect as well. Landscape is completely upside down and portrait seems to go to one side only (in the one side that portrait doesn't work, tilting it a little left or right will make it go to landscape in the opposite side).

It really sucks that I had waited all this time for my TouchPad to arrive broken like this

Obviously it's under warranty but I don't know if I want to wait the weeks it'll take to ship this out, repair, and the ship back. I'm thinking of just let it go and just forget about accelerometer at all and do manual lock-unlock in whatever orientation I need it to.

This is really irritating
    Quote Originally Posted by Newcron View Post
    My 32 GB just arrived with accelerometer defect as well. Landscape is completely upside down and portrait seems to go to one side only (in the one side that portrait doesn't work, tilting it a little left or right will make it go to landscape in the opposite side).

It really sucks that I had waited all this time for my TouchPad to arrive broken like this

Obviously it's under warranty but I don't know if I want to wait the weeks it'll take to ship this out, repair, and the ship back. I'm thinking of just let it go and just forget about accelerometer at all and do manual lock-unlock in whatever orientation I need it to.

This is really irritating
    If you can manually lock and unlock in any orientation needed this doesn't sound like the accelerometer being broken. Did you do the diagnostic test?

Also HP has been doing awesome on turn around time free overnight shipping and what not.
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If you can manually lock and unlock in any orientation needed this doesn't sound like the accelerometer being broken. Did you do the diagnostic test?

Also HP has been doing awesome on turn around time free overnight shipping and what not.
    I can do it but I have to do lock and unlock while it being upside down. For instance, when I want it to go landscape, I put it in landscape and the screen will go upside down. I then lock the orientation that way (clock at the bottom left, since the screen is upside down) and then I had to flip it around to use it in landscape. I think that qualifies as broken.

Yeah, I may end up doing that anyway. It's just so upsetting right now because I've been waiting anxiously for ten days and then received something that's not working well.

Edit: Yes, I did the diagnostic test. The first flip is good, the second one it had no response.
  18.    #18  
    Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

It seems like a fairly rare occasion, and even after live chatting with an HP rep for an hour I couldn't figure it out. I ended up sending mine back to HP last Thursday, and it should arrive by the end of next week if their 7-10 business day estimate is accurate. I'll report back my findings.
    Just got off the phone with HP-Netherlands..
    Not quite sure they even know what a touchpad is. But anyway, the lady told me if I didn't purchase a travel care plan or something alike with the laptop I need to go back to France.
    Well, it's not a laptop, but she said it counts for all the products. Weird that a huge company like HP doesn't have world wide warranty, I know Asus and many other companies do not care about where you have bought the machine.
    Anyway, I will get in contact with Fnac.com, from where I bought it, to get an exchange.
    I am living in france just now, so if you need a middleman or french address. I'm happy to help... as long as your paying the costs lol.

Oh and where in france did you get it ? I had to order mine from canada
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast