Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree13Likes
    Great board you guys have here!

By chance I happened into a Radio Shack today asking about an HP Touchpad. They had recently received a 32GB ("not for resale") demo tablet they had not put on display due to their selling out of retail touchpads. The unit was still new, unopened in box. They sold it to me for $149 with the understanding it has the HP demo program on it but that all else was identical to the regular retail models. Charging it as I write this the Touchpad does seem to be just as described.

My question - Does anyone know how I can jail break this tablet to get the demo program out? As it charges I note soon after I stop using it, the tablet automatically goes into demo mode. Interesting screensaver but this could get old!

Please be very specific about steps as this is my first experience with a tablet and WebOS. If it makes a difference, my pc and laptop run WIndows 7.

Thanks in advance.
    jailbreak not needed. Use the palm provided bypass tool. Start reading here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ctivation.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    jailbreak not needed. Use the palm provided bypass tool. Start reading here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ctivation.html
    Thanks!
    unless something is wrong with the demo unit that ya'll bought nothing needs to be done except webOS doctor. Just run the doctor and to get rid of DEMO os and youre done. sign in or create a new webOs account. Im a manager at radioshack and bought two demo units. They are both working perfectly fine after doctoring. I was told by HP that all serials for the demo units had been unlocked since the afternoon of monday 8/22 due to the high amount of demo units sold.
    SO MAD right now. I was at an Office Depot that had three demo units. I specifically asked if they were for sale and she told me that they were not functional as regular Touchpads. I said I found it unlikely that they had specfically designed demos with different internals. WHY ARE ELECTRONICS STORE EMPLOYEES SO STUPID....sigh. Sorry, this quest for a Touchpad has driven me a bit insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo55 View Post
    HP told all the retailers to not sell the demo units. HP is giving credit to all the retailers for the demo units to be shipped back. Some stores have sold them to customers, but most won't now because they will get credit for sending them back. I was told today by our HP rep that they have a large shipment coming in at the beginning of the week to restock their website.

If you do get a demo unit just follow the instructions in this thread. You will have a fully functional touchpad. There is no hardware difference in the demo units, they were just flashed with a "custom demo" version of webOS which cripples features of the touchpad. I was told this was done so if a demo unit was stolen off display the thieves wouldn't be able to use it.
    I'm hoping they change their mind. The manager said he wouldn't sell it to anyone else if they did. I was there for hours while he called different managers and stores to get permission to sell it. And when he finally got permission, the computer system wouldn't let him sell it. Nobody wants to get fired so we left it as that.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Again , the demo units are somewhat different.
    These units are locked withOUT a palm profile account or access to entering an account. Even if you doctor and use the bypass tool there will be no access to the HP App Store. There is a method around the forums somewhere to get around that. It make take a few attempts but it does eventually work.
    Here is the way to create a Webos account on a Demo.....I just tried it, and it is woring like a champ....(unfortunately, it is feeding into my Angry Bird Addiction)

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ivation-2.html

P.S. Big Ups to Jovo55 for the posting
    need help.. Ok I downloaded in your first steps, you said click the file by the same name.. I believe you mean the webos3.0.2 zip file. There is a lot of files there but nothing that my win 7 will run.. So please help me.. What file exactly do I run on my pc. Because it cannot be a jar or tar or zip.. I have run win zip. the only installers I see are 2 nova msi files. And the 86 one ran but I see no program to actually start.
    thans jovo 55 but this still doesnt work for me

I get an error that says invalid device model PAMS3041 saying invalid device model, no product SKU available

This error came up before using impostah and after your instructions so nothing has changed

what eles can i do?

i ran the all feed and the armv7 feed, and verieifed that both updated and rebooted several times
    Last edited by sweetlude; 08/29/2011 at 11:50 PM.
    ezrastone

Try just continuing with the instructions. If you just bought the touchpad, then you probably already have the 3.0.2 upgrade. The one I bought last week did.
    Tried to buy a demo unit at several local Staples stores and one Office Depot, but even after explaining I was aware of the demo software and how to follow the instructions here to get around that (and convincing them I knew more about the TP than they did), they were very reluctant to sell one since they did not know how to process the sale. (Demo unit not in the system.)
    Help> I downloaded the webos doctor but I cannot get find a Jar file after I unzip the download.
    what am I doing wrong on my PC because I cannot get webos to run?
    I've created a tutorial based on bluepoint951's instructions and my own. This should help anyone who is having issues with a demo unit.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...tail-unit.html
    Quote Originally Posted by casiouser View Post
    Again , the demo units are somewhat different.
    These units are locked withOUT a palm profile account or access to entering an account. Even if you doctor and use the bypass tool there will be no access to the HP App Store. There is a method around the forums somewhere to get around that. It make take a few attempts but it does eventually work.
    Hate to say it but this is simply not true. I purchased a demo unit from Staples. Once the serial numbers were unlocked by HP I was able to sign into my existing profile and have full access to the app catalog and have purchased several paid apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by ezrastone View Post
    Help> I downloaded the webos doctor but I cannot get find a Jar file after I unzip the download.
    what am I doing wrong on my PC because I cannot get webos to run?
    reinstall novacom and make sure your java is up to date. If they are installed correctly and you have changed the zip file to a .jar extension the file should not and will not unzip. I actually had to switch computers as I couldn't get my laptop to run the doctor correctly.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Thank you so much for the well written directions. I set up a friend's device with this and it worked without a hitch.
    War Eagle!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123