Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by diamond_jigsaw View Post
    I've already doctored and bypassed my pad when I first got it. I just ran impostah and got error code PAMS9999 "Generic Fault". Do I need to doctor again, skip bypass and then go?
    Same issue
    I got transferred to a specialty area and whats happing is that I am shipping it off and will recieve it back in 10 days fully working...Ill take that.
    Mike0627 likes this.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I recently got the free nexus s and ditched my pre - til a later date but got this info.... thought it might appeal to some

Report: Sprint to get iPhone in October
    My TouchPad was working fine with the App Catalog, but I couldn't see the paid apps. I tried to fix it by clicking "Erase Apps & Data", and since that moment I can't enter a webOS account.

I remember that when I bypassed it for the first time, in the HP WEBOS ACCOUNT field, there was something like FIRST_USED... Now, it appears in blank. I tried to use Impostah, but is giving me errors. =/
    Last edited by Raulie; 08/23/2011 at 11:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    after following all of those steps, and getting to the impostah registration, it still didnt register me. so i just chatted with webos support and at first they said to take it back to the store i got it from- which isnt going to work, since it was the last one in NC and was the display at walmart.

they said after i pressed a little more into the serial number issue and the models being blocked from HP as "demo" devices, they said it could be converted to a full working production model at a repair facility. they are supposed to be sending me an email with shipping instructions shortly so i can send it in free to be converted. 5-7 business days, which I think isnt a bad time to wait considering the deal the touchpad was.

I will update when i get the email and ship it off to have it converted.
    My local Office Depot has only a demo model left -- did you guys just go in and ask for it? It says "Not for resale" on the tablet, but maybe that is out the window now.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    How do you find out if you have received a demo model?

I cant seem to log in my account or create a new one.
    Ran this process again to no avail once more After re-Doctoring it, re-bypassing and trying impostah it still came up with the PAMS9999 Generic fault code. Any suggestions?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Over 12 hours later I still have not received any email with directions on shipping to a "repair facility". I will be calling support to follow up soon. Let's hope they didn't just tell me they would fix it to appease me for the time.
    I picked up 2 demo units on saturday for relatives who wanted them, having a touchpad already. I did everything trying to take the demo off. I eventually doctored, which was successful. The problem(i'm guessing with everyone else also) was the activation.

Well yesterday my bro-in-law tried one more time activating it, and IT WORKED!!! he didn't do anything different, but for some reason it actually went through. I don't know if they finally released the demo unit serial numbers or what, but if you have a demo unit. Try just setting up an account and see if it works. I do know he used an existing webOS account, so i'm not sure if it will work on a new account.
    I still can't log in with developer account or create a simple webos account (even with impotash) in my 32gb demo touchpad, i think my serial number still locked.

Does anyone can really gide us to get an webOS account for at least get a facebook or angry birds app in this demo units, i cant return my tablet and I dont know what else i have to do.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    tech support. I'm guessing it's the final answer... Yes?? NO?

" The demo device were never intended to be sold so then will not be permitted connect to the HP webOS server to set up an account. You can however contact tech support at 877-426-3777 and set up a repair to get your demo device fixed so it will function like a consumer device so an account can be created."
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    tech support has been the final answer for me. although if you have a demo unit, I have been asked to show proof of purchase (which I have) but apparently the demo units were locked so they couldnt be activated if stolen. Will be sending mine in for "repair" which my email states is just a ROM flash, which I have also seen hasnt worked (but i havent tried yet). Im going to let them take care of it from here on out and see how it pans out. Good luck to others with demo units.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brad0627 View Post
    tech support has been the final answer for me. although if you have a demo unit, I have been asked to show proof of purchase (which I have) but apparently the demo units were locked so they couldnt be activated if stolen. Will be sending mine in for "repair" which my email states is just a ROM flash, which I have also seen hasnt worked (but i havent tried yet). Im going to let them take care of it from here on out and see how it pans out. Good luck to others with demo units.
    I think I'm going to send mine in too. I'll give them a call. Do they charge you for that?

-- Mike
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike0627 View Post
    I think I'm going to send mine in too. I'll give them a call. Do they charge you for that?

-- Mike
    no, they are sending a prepaid box to me with info on where to ship it. there were two options i had: 1) wait for the prepaid box, and send mine in to be repaired, free of charge which would take 7-10 business days to get back to me or
    2)pay $29.99 for a advance fee and have a $400 hold placed on my card and a new one would come in 2-3 business days and i would send mine in for them to keep.

i would rather wait and have it done for free, since the $149 i paid is a deal, i can wait a couple of days for it to be fully working.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brad0627 View Post
    no, they are sending a prepaid box to me with info on where to ship it. there were two options i had: 1) wait for the prepaid box, and send mine in to be repaired, free of charge which would take 7-10 business days to get back to me or
    2)pay $29.99 for a advance fee and have a $400 hold placed on my card and a new one would come in 2-3 business days and i would send mine in for them to keep.

i would rather wait and have it done for free, since the $149 i paid is a deal, i can wait a couple of days for it to be fully working.
    Got my box at 9am this morning, about 14 hours after I finalized my serial # and part # with HP over the phone. Mailed it out around 11am. cant wait to get it back so i can finally use it. Im hoping by next Tuesday/Wednesday. We will see....
    I think I might have solved the problem.

I followed the instructions in the OP and was still getting the error when trying to register a new webOS account even with Impostah. I decided to just play around with Preware and Impostah and see what stuff could be done to the touchpad. While doing so, I think I figured out how to get Impostah to register a webOS account on a demo touchpad.

These are the steps I did:

1. Follow the steps in the OP exactly. (Thanks bluepoint951)

2. When you reach the point that Impostah fails to register your new webOS account reboot your touchpad. (See OP for reboot instructions)

3. Open Preware and add the testing feeds for the touchpad (armv7) (Instructions here: Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals )

4. Tap Preware menu in top left corner and then choose "Update Feeds".

5. After feeds update, tap the magnifying glass at the top right.

6. Search for "Device Profile Service Override" (without the quotes) and install.

7. After install reboot your touchpad again.

8. After startup run Impostah again and activate a new account.

That's it. You should now get a successful activation with Impostah. You'll now have full access to the HP App Catalog and everything else that comes with having a webOS account.

I hope that helps everyone out. If you have any issues still, post them. I'll try and help.

Good luck everyone.

-Jovo55
    Last edited by jovo55; 08/25/2011 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Fix spelling error
    Quote Originally Posted by jovo55 View Post
    I think I might have solved the problem.

I followed the instructions in the OP and was still getting the error when trying to register a new webOS account even with Impostah. I decided to just play around with Preware and Impostah and see what stuff could be done to the touchpad. While doing so, I think I figured out how to get Impostah to register a webOS account on a demo touchpad.

These are the steps I did:

1. Follow the steps in the OP exactly. (Thanks bluepoint951)

2. When you reach the point that Impostah fails to register your new webOS account reboot your touchpad. (See OP for reboot instructions)

3. Open Preware and add the testing feeds for the touchpad (armv7) (Instructions here: Testing Feeds - WebOS Internals )

4. Tap Preware menu in top left corner and then choose "Update Feeds".

5. After feeds update, tap the magnifying glass at the top right.

6. Search for "Device Profile Service Override" (without the quotes) and install.

7. After install reboot your touchpad again.

8. After startup run Impostah again and activate a new account.

That's it. You should now get a successful activation with Impostah. You'll now have full access to the HP App Catalog and everything else that comes with having a webOS account.

I hope that helps everyone out. If you have any issues still, post them. I'll try and help.

Good luck everyone.

-Jovo55
    AWESOME thank you so much this worked for me.
    I had to back to preware and update Impostah after I had reboot it, and when I opened up the App Catalog and I chose United States the catalog stopped working, but after I closed it and tried it again it worked for me!
    Thank you Again
    My husband tried buying the demo touchpad at the radioshack where he works but as of monday radioshack isn't letting them sale demos. So some radioshack stores may have demos but they aren't allowed to sale them.

The reason they give is because they can't function like a normal touchpad. I just hope they change their position on this so I can finally get one.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by spongamabob View Post
    My husband tried buying the demo touchpad at the radioshack where he works but as of monday radioshack isn't letting them sale demos. So some radioshack stores may have demos but they aren't allowed to sale them.

The reason they give is because they can't function like a normal touchpad. I just hope they change their position on this so I can finally get one.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    HP told all the retailers to not sell the demo units. HP is giving credit to all the retailers for the demo units to be shipped back. Some stores have sold them to customers, but most won't now because they will get credit for sending them back. I was told today by our HP rep that they have a large shipment coming in at the beginning of the week to restock their website.

If you do get a demo unit just follow the instructions in this thread. You will have a fully functional touchpad. There is no hardware difference in the demo units, they were just flashed with a "custom demo" version of webOS which cripples features of the touchpad. I was told this was done so if a demo unit was stolen off display the thieves wouldn't be able to use it.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast