Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By millertime
  1.    #1  
    I've got an iPad so maybe I should know this for sure, but can iOS and Android make and take calls on their tablet OS? If not, this is a KILLER feature for webos!! I didn't realize how much I would love it until I paired my old Pre- in another room, and I made a call just off my contacts on the touchpad. Then I browse a website and touch the 1800 number, and make the call on the touchpad while I'm doing other things as well on the Touchpad with the phone app minimized.
    If I was writing reviews of the platform, this would have been a HUGE plus for the Touchpad. It is an incredible feature.
    I was waiting for the Touchpad 4G before purchasing a touchpad, and I was all ready to buy the moment it was for sale ( I travel a lot and really want a 4G tablet). I was as shocked as anyone when I read the news on Thursday. HP is unbelievably dumb to give up on this platform. The problem was simply that 99% of the world has no idea how awesome the Touchpad really is to use. Sure, apps open slowly and it sometimes lags to inputs, but I've had no random reboots yet (I had two the first time I used a Touchpad right after release before the update). It will take a new owner who puts real, serious resources on this I bet six months to fix the app opening speed and lag issues by improving the javascript implementation in the core OS.
    Elegant is the word that most describes the Touchpad and WebOS 3.0 to me. The "fingerprint magnet" description on every review is ridiculous. Everyone should get a case for their tablet anyway so you should never see the back, and my iPad screen is just as much of a "fingerprint magnet" as the Touchpad. The iPad screen is always covered with fingerprints.
    Sukiyaki and gbp like this.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    You mean with Skype right?

If so then yes, its awesome! (but both iPad and android tablets have this as well)
    No, he means with a webOS phone. You can connect it via bluetooth and make calls from your touchpad.
    Quote Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
    You mean with Skype right?

If so then yes, its awesome! (but both iPad and android tablets have this as well)
    I believe he is referring to to webOS phone and tablet paining. You can actually take and receive phone calls when your Touchpad is paired to a webOS phone. It is awesome. I get home from work slap my pre on the touchstone and then can make and receive calls from my Touchpad when in bluetooth mode. SMS was supposed to be on the next Veer update and pre3.
    I want to make a video call like in a SF movie like Blade Runner where you can see the person you talk to, but no one I know has the HP TouchPad!
    you don't need someone with touchpad to make video calls. Just sync your skype accout nd you can call anyone in ur skype contacts list
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    wait wait wait. your saying its works paired with a pre-? i thought it only paired with a webOS2.x phone for those features!

please tell me that wasnt a typo and that there's another thing to love about my pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by pablopatel View Post
    wait wait wait. your saying its works paired with a pre-? i thought it only paired with a webOS2.x phone for those features!

please tell me that wasnt a typo and that there's another thing to love about my pre-
    just open up bluetooth on both the pre and touchpad then pair. it pairs with any web os device but does not support the text messaging which was supposed to come to the veer and pre 3
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    i guess I can take a hit on the no texting thing, if im atleast gaining calling abilities. its way better than the zero support i thought I was gonna get for my pre-. Thanks for the info and reply!

ohh pre-....had it since launch day, and now it gains a bit more of the "spark"
    I really hope someone figures out a way to get this functionality working between the Touchpad and Android.
    if the pre3's ever see the light of day (nice and cheap) just to dump stock i could find out just how awesome, until then ill have to be envious of the OP.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLastOne View Post
    I really hope someone figures out a way to get this functionality working between the Touchpad and Android.
    Actually, one review of the TouchPad (can't remember, it was a while ago) mentioned that call forwarding to the TouchPad from a cell phone will work for most any bluetooth capable phone. You might want to try pairing your Android phone with the TouchPad and report back to us.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    hmm i tried doing that bluetooth pairing with my android and it didnt work
    Quote Originally Posted by premoney View Post
    Doesn't surprise me. My brother's Evo couldn't connect to the UConnect bluetooth in my car. Crashed his phone a number of times

There are multiple Bluetooth options under the connection preferences. Have you looked under them?
    Quote Originally Posted by premoney View Post
    One reviewer on AnandTech's review claimed that the Touchpad can be registered as a Bluetooth headset for pretty much any phone. Might not be able to use the TouchPad's dialer app, but it still might be a great speakerphone. Could you maybe try that?
    This is absolutely my favorite feature. I'm using a FrankenPre (Sprint comm board in Pre+), running WebOS 2.1, and it works great.