Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    So I'm one of those new users that stared at my computer screen last night refreshing store pages that sold the TP and managed to snag a 32GB one. Now I have a week to wait. But while I'm waiting, I'd like to know how downloading is like on the TouchPad. Like dowloading .zips, .rars, .pdfs, video files, etc. The only other mobile device I have experience with in downloading things is the iPod touch, and that experience flat out sucks. So is it easy to download files using the TP browser? How are they stored? Are they easily accessible to a computer? Thanks.
  2. #2  
    It'll download any file, in my experience, except MP3 and MP4 files.

    Music and video automatically streams, which is kind of a pain. I'd rather it gave an option.

    Anyway, when it downloads, a pane slides in from the side to display progress. You can close that pane (or even the browser entirely) and it'll continue. It just downloads to the downloads folder on the USB partition, so as soon as you plug it into the computer they're easy to access.

    Unfortunately, you will need a third party file manager to browse the directories from the Touchpad itself though.
  3. #3  
    multi mod from preware (if its available for touchpad yet, I don't know) allows you to download or stream, your choice.

    isn't internalz pro available?
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    It'll download any file, in my experience, except MP3 and MP4 files.

    Music and video automatically streams, which is kind of a pain. I'd rather it gave an option.

    Anyway, when it downloads, a pane slides in from the side to display progress. You can close that pane (or even the browser entirely) and it'll continue. It just downloads to the downloads folder on the USB partition, so as soon as you plug it into the computer they're easy to access.

    Unfortunately, you will need a third party file manager to browse the directories from the Touchpad itself though.
    theres a patch in preware to force them to save, no real need to listen to them via a link, most will d/l then play them in an app.

    users can also use their FREE for LIFE 50gb box.net account to store files and access whenever required.
  5. #5  
    not all video files will stream, the unsupported ones(like xvid or mvk) will download but will play if you have a 3rd party app like Kamelsoft media player
  6. #6  
    pdfs download in the browser and if you dont clear the downloads you can always access them in the browser or through a file manager app like Internalz. Zip files will download but have no easy way to unzip them on the device.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    theres a patch in preware to force them to save, no real need to listen to them via a link, most will d/l then play them in an app.

    users can also use their FREE for LIFE 50gb box.net account to store files and access whenever required.
    I downloaded the patch from Preware that adds a "Download Link" option when you press and hold a link for a video file that can be (normally) be downloaded from any browser on your laptop via right-clicking on the link. Now, when I press and hold the video download link on a webpage, the "Download Link" option does appear...but when I click "Download Link"...nothing happens.

    Help, plz?

    Much thanks!
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    pdfs download in the browser and if you dont clear the downloads you can always access them in the browser or through a file manager app like Internalz. Zip files will download but have no easy way to unzip them on the device.
    There is a zip/unzip patch for the pre- so I'm hoping that it will be there for the TP. Check out preware and see. I don't have access yet.
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by markdanielmiller View Post
    I downloaded the patch from Preware that adds a "Download Link" option when you press and hold a link for a video file that can be (normally) be downloaded from any browser on your laptop via right-clicking on the link. Now, when I press and hold the video download link on a webpage, the "Download Link" option does appear...but when I click "Download Link"...nothing happens.

    Help, plz?

    Much thanks!
    I am experiencing the same problem. Nothing happens after clicking the Download Link. No files are downloaded to the downloads folder or any other easily accessible directory on the device. So Bumping this encase someone has found a solution.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by markdanielmiller View Post
    I downloaded the patch from Preware that adds a "Download Link" option when you press and hold a link for a video file that can be (normally) be downloaded from any browser on your laptop via right-clicking on the link. Now, when I press and hold the video download link on a webpage, the "Download Link" option does appear...but when I click "Download Link"...nothing happens.

    Help, plz?

    Much thanks!
    I have the same problem, I can't even get it to work for pictures.
    Could someone tell me if webOS allows you to download from direct download sites like rapidshare, mediafire, megaupload, etc.? I tried to check around but couldn't get an answer. Also is there a way to download torrents on your touchpad?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by tgainar View Post
    I am experiencing the same problem. Nothing happens after clicking the Download Link. No files are downloaded to the downloads folder or any other easily accessible directory on the device. So Bumping this encase someone has found a solution.
    +1 same here :-(
  12. #12  
    Does that add download link patch really do anything? I can't download mp3 either.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by 3FLi View Post
    I have the same problem, I can't even get it to work for pictures.
    Could someone tell me if webOS allows you to download from direct download sites like rapidshare, mediafire, megaupload, etc.? I tried to check around but couldn't get an answer. Also is there a way to download torrents on your touchpad?
    It ends up in the media/internal/downloads folder.
    You can browse to it with thinfileviewer or internalz.
    I tried downloading an mkv file from mediafire and all I got was garbage on the screen. Another video download from another site pointing to a mediafire link actually started playing the video on the TP's mediaplayer.
    I was able to download another mkv file from megaupload, then played it using kalemsoft media player and opening the file from the downloads directory in the kalemsoft "Local Media" directory.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by gergev View Post
    It ends up in the media/internal/downloads folder.
    You can browse to it with thinfileviewer or internalz.

    Hmm...any time I try to DL an mp3 or video file, I instantly get a "MIME type" error - so it never even has a chance to download there. Any suggestions?
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by W3idbrewer View Post
    Hmm...any time I try to DL an mp3 or video file, I instantly get a "MIME type" error - so it never even has a chance to download there. Any suggestions?
    +1 I'm with him^...... Anybody know of a solution?
    Regards,

    CJ

    pre-/touchpad 32g / pre 3
  16. #16  
    what's the name of the patch to add a download option in the browser? Is it compatible with 3.0.4?

    also any free alternative to kalemsoft to play different video types.
  17. #17  
    any way to download an IPK file?
  18. T-Pad's Avatar
    Posts
    327 Posts
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
    pdfs download in the browser and if you dont clear the downloads you can always access them in the browser or through a file manager app like Internalz. Zip files will download but have no easy way to unzip them on the device.
    What is the official way for deleting downloaded files whose MIME-type is not recognized? As far as I know there's no file manager except in Preware.

    I have some .do and .html files which were downloaded instead of PDFs - is there a patch available which word download the real files?
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
  19. #19  
    Ironically the HP pdfs from the earnings call would not open in quick office and adobe. I opened a card for ubuntu and downloaded them in firefox ubuntu. Then I could read them in Quickoffice or Picsel.
  20. #20  
    I just purchased this touchpad a month ago and I'm about ready to throw it out the window. I cannot complete not even one download successfully.! I don't understand. Please offer some advice. First time owning electronic device. Thank you Debby Kennedy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions