1.    #1  
    Couldn't get the Canuck Quick Install to work in Lion with my TP. Never could find it connected.

So I see one way to get PreWare installed OTA is with terminal access. Any idea how to get into the command line on the TP?
    Global Posts
    163 Global Posts
    The only way right now is to install Xecutah, XServer and XTerm. It works just fine, but requires 3 clicks, instead of 1. They're all available from Preware.
    Bell Pre since August 27 2009
    HP Touchpad since July 1 2011
    Development/Design contribution to:
    are those 3 on the test feeds, because the dont show up
    Quote Originally Posted by globex View Post
    The only way right now is to install Xecutah, XServer and XTerm. It works just fine, but requires 3 clicks, instead of 1. They're all available from Preware.
    I think they're trying to install Preware.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    I think they're trying to install Preware.
    Yes. I'm trying to install PreWare over the air. The QuickInstaller is useless for me in OS X Lion: it never finds a connected device. So I need to install PreWare untethered. One way is supposed to be through the command line.

Any idea how I can get access to the command line on the TouchPad?

PreWare install through terminal instructions:

Installing Preware from Terminal, Novaterm or WebOS Quick Install "Linux Commandline"

If you have access to the command line of your webOS Device or emulator using Terminal, Novaterm, or other techniques, you can install Preware by typing three lines. This technique is always the shortest and in many ways the simplest, but if you are in any way unsure of operating at the Linux command line, please use either of the methods described above.

cd /tmp
    wget http://bit.ly/preware-bootstrap
    sh preware-bootstrap
  6.    #6  
    QuickInstall failing under Lion. Never finds connected device. Looking for alternative PreWare installation method. OTA? Command line access in webOS possible? Or using Palm SDK?
    I'm trying to install SDLTerminal from preware and it keeps hanging on the install, even after reboot.
    You can download the ipk from the SDLterminal thread on the forum, and install it through internalz..
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $SDLTerminal$ $does$ $not$ $work$ $on$ $TP$ $yet$.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
  10.    #10  
    I can't get PreWare installed on my TouchPad because QuickInstall doesn't work. It won't recognize any connected device.

I just got a message from someone saying to go through the Palm SDK, and then reinstall the Novacom drivers from the File menu. I'm going to try this and report back.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Also, try rebooting the Touchpad while it is connected to the computer with QuickInstall running...had to do that for my Veer.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Quote Originally Posted by lovepre100 View Post
    Couldn't get the Canuck Quick Install to work in Lion with my TP. Never could find it connected.

So I see one way to get PreWare installed OTA is with terminal access. Any idea how to get into the command line on the TP?
    silly question, but did you put it in developer mode first?
    phones& video calls->##3386633#-> talk->toggle to on->submit->reboot

If so you could also try a reinstall of the novacom drivers.
    in wqi:
    file->reinstall novacom

Hope you get preware working. Happy homebrewing :-)
    Global Posts
    118 Global Posts
    I also had a bit of trouble with my Lion system finding my touchpad, but it seemed like it was alleviated when I did the system update to 3.0.2. Have you updated? Also, you can try downloading the latest sdk which will include the latest novacom drivers.
    Any idea how I can get access to the command line on the TouchPad?
    Installing Preware from Terminal, Novaterm or WebOS Quick Install "Linux Commandline"
    Installing Preware from the 'Linux comanline' is chicken and egg problem. How do you get one before the other. To accesss the comman line, you need Xecutah. But, to download Xecutah, you need Preware first. What is needed is a 'tool' that allows access to the 'Linux commandline' but does not need Preware to be installed.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    I can't get PreWare installed on my TouchPad because QuickInstall doesn't work. It won't recognize any connected device.

I just got a message from someone saying to go through the Palm SDK, and then reinstall the Novacom drivers from the File menu. I'm going to try this and report back.
    If WebOS Quick Install isn't working, the first place you should go is the WOSQI official thread.

The simple fact of the matter is the current version of WOSQI will work on pretty well any Windows, Mac or Ubuntu computer, however, as not all computers are alike, setup can be rocky.

The official WOSQI thread is full of posts from people who encounter errors and posts of solutions that work for individuals. To make things even easier for people, I've even created a comprehensive step-by-step guide in the for of an app available for all on the App Catalog. It specifically includes an interactive problem troubleshooter for situations like this. And in fact, installing the SDK is one of the last-ditch options (as users generally don't want the 200MB+ download, nor all the extra stuff the SDK installs).

And on another point that's been raised in this thread, it's worth noting that every other alternative way to install Preware will require a novacom connection (which is what's currently listing no devices as detected). So in general, if WOSQI isn't working, the alternatives won't work either. And conversely, if after you install the SDK novacom gets fixed, then WOSQI will work again.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook