Like Tree7Likes
  • 4 Post By Turboladdade
  • 1 Post By Turboladdade
  • 2 Post By nick15
  1.    #1  
    Hello my name is Dan and I just bought a firesale TouchPad

I've never used a webOS device before, I'm an Apple user, Mac and iOS developer, and its deliciously ironic that the only mobile OS that has even remotely sparked my interest outside of iOS is webOS. And now I have my very own TouchPad!

So far I really am enjoying this TouchPad very much, although I would say the OS more than the available apps and the hardware itself. I hope webOS continues and HP seriously makes an effort to continue development, license to other manufacturers and/or sell it outright.

I just wanted to chime in to say hello and express my growing excitement for webOS and I hope to learn a lot! Wish it was under better circumstances but I'm hopeful for the future... I've read a suggestion elsewhere that this is a semi-devious plot by HP to get hundreds of thousands of webOS devices into customer hands very quickly, in order to entice third party licensees.
    Last edited by Turboladdade; 08/21/2011 at 08:40 PM.
    Welcome to WebOS - glad to have you with us!

Check out the Homebrew programs - especially WebOS QuickInstall and Preware.

(I just bought 6 myself - for family and friends! I've had mine since launch day.)
    be sure to run the update app and update to webos 3.0.2. Preware for sure! welcome new TP owners!!
    Welcome to the club.....where membership has it's privileges
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2˘ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Hiya, Turboladdade.....welcome to the community i ordered mine on Friday nite after sitting 30mins on the phone and online chat for an HP rep. Hopefully, this firesale get developers from other OS's to port their artwork over to webOS land.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    be sure to run the update app and update to webos 3.0.2. Preware for sure! welcome new TP owners!!
    Yup, did the update so far. Wasn't sure about Preware, havne't done that yet. I'm not a fan of jailbraking so wasn't sure if that was like the same thing. Like 99% of problems iPhone users have somehow always seem to involve jailbraking. Is Preware like the same thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboladdade View Post
    Yup, did the update so far. Wasn't sure about Preware, havne't done that yet. I'm not a fan of jailbraking so wasn't sure if that was like the same thing. Like 99% of problems iPhone users have somehow always seem to involve jailbraking. Is Preware like the same thing?
    Preware doesn't require jailbreaking, just entering developer mode.
    hello and whale come, an app dev, v nice, new blood to possibly bring us the missing apps we require and required from day 1, lots of resources on the forums here as mentioned.

yeah the OS is smart and works well, no plot by HP btw, genious plans dont mess up your company name and leave you in ruin/debt.

if your a budding dev then check out a lot of posts for wanted apps, not just the "i want port of xyz game" but the people who use and want to use their touchpads at work seriously, were still screaming for RDP/VNC/Office Solutions and working/compatible citrix/vpn's + loooots more.

anyhoo, enjoy your TPads.
    Check out "Preware Homebrew Documentation" in the app cat. It's a great way to get started with the Homebrew scene and support them.

Also make sure you sign in to all your synergy accounts available on the Touchpad. Go to the Settings tab in the launcher and then accounts. it's a wonderful option which keeps you connected to all your online services.
    HOWDY! I'm also an Apple Addict, having used a Mac fr a good two decades (out of the three consecutive decades I've lived!). But the iOS... not so much.

What draws me to the webOS is because it's an underdog OS like the (classic) Mac OS was back in the halcyon days of Apple fandom. I mean, to me, both the Mac and webOS are the little secret of mine... while everyone is swimming in the sea of crap, I'm kicking it up with the small group of others who know the secret too.

Also consider that the webOS (and the Palm Pre) was what the iPhone and iOS COULD have been, seeing that (IIRC) Jon Rubenstein was once in charge of iPhone development at Apple before he left... apparently part of the reason for Jon's departure was because he and Jobs got into a fight over the value of a physical keyboard. Jon wanted the iPhone to have it, Jobs said no, and it was Jobs way or the highway...

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your new Touchpad and I hope that it's enough to convince you that perhaps the iOS is maybe a bit lacking (I mean, what else could have made this lifelong Apple fanatic be less fanatic about Apple??) :P
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by nick15 View Post
    HOWDY! I'm also an Apple Addict, having used a Mac fr a good two decades (out of the three consecutive decades I've lived!). But the iOS... not so much.

What draws me to the webOS is because it's an underdog OS like the (classic) Mac OS was back in the halcyon days of Apple fandom. I mean, to me, both the Mac and webOS are the little secret of mine... while everyone is swimming in the sea of crap, I'm kicking it up with the small group of others who know the secret too.

Also consider that the webOS (and the Palm Pre) was what the iPhone and iOS COULD have been, seeing that (IIRC) Jon Rubenstein was once in charge of iPhone development at Apple before he left... apparently part of the reason for Jon's departure was because he and Jobs got into a fight over the value of a physical keyboard. Jon wanted the iPhone to have it, Jobs said no, and it was Jobs way or the highway...

Anyways, I hope you enjoy your new Touchpad and I hope that it's enough to convince you that perhaps the iOS is maybe a bit lacking (I mean, what else could have made this lifelong Apple fanatic be less fanatic about Apple??) :P
    I also go back far with Apple, however I do love iOS very much.

That said, after two days with TouchPad, there are plenty of areas where iOS could learn from webOS.

I've always heard people say that webOS multitasks so much "better" than iOS and Android. I think that's the wrong way to describe it. iOS's multitasking services under the hood are pretty damn good. There are lots of great APIs for devs to tap into, not just to multitask, but also to properly manage the users's device and keep it running as über-efficiently as possible. Apple is really anal about battery life and controlling untamed processes and such.

On the other hand, I would describe webOS as having a better multitasking interface. The whole cards thing, flipping through open apps and open "cards" is really a delight. Feels somewhere in between using iOS and using a full desktop OS. More flexible, data-oriented and unconstrained than iOS's mini-dock.

While I'm not super fluent with the webOS SDK so far, I can say right off the bat it doesn't hold a candle to Xcode. Part of the reason there are so many great iOS apps is the quality, robustness and refinement of Xcode. I am willing to bet that part of the reason there is a dearth of apps on the HP App Catalog is that the SDK is intimidating and unwieldy to those used to Xcode (which would be pretty much everybody). The first thing I thought when launching some of the tools was "ugh..." You guys can place that blame squarely on HP.

Anyways, I'm very excited to be exploring this new platform!
    blackfireball5 likes this.
    I also go back far with Apple, however I do love iOS very much.

That said, after two days with TouchPad, there are plenty of areas where iOS could learn from webOS.

I've always heard people say that webOS multitasks so much "better" than iOS and Android. I think that's the wrong way to describe it. iOS's multitasking services under the hood are pretty damn good. There are lots of great APIs for devs to tap into, not just to multitask, but also to properly manage the users's device and keep it running as über-efficiently as possible. Apple is really anal about battery life and controlling untamed processes and such.

On the other hand, I would describe webOS as having a better multitasking interface. The whole cards thing, flipping through open apps and open "cards" is really a delight. Feels somewhere in between using iOS and using a full desktop OS. More flexible, data-oriented and unconstrained than iOS's mini-dock.

While I'm not super fluent with the webOS SDK so far, I can say right off the bat it doesn't hold a candle to Xcode. Part of the reason there are so many great iOS apps is the quality, robustness and refinement of Xcode. I am willing to bet that part of the reason there is a dearth of apps on the HP App Catalog is that the SDK is intimidating and unwieldy to those used to Xcode (which would be pretty much everybody). The first thing I thought when launching some of the tools was "ugh..." You guys can place that blame squarely on HP.

Anyways, I'm very excited to be exploring this new platform!

The key difference between the webOS and the iOS is that Apple has put years into refining the tools to make iOS apps and so forth, as well as Jobs obsessive (to a benefit) desire to "make it work". That's the Apple I remember from back it the day and the Apple I love(d). The webOS SDKs are obviously inferior (no debate there) simply because Palm and HP did not put the manpower necessary to make it right (Palm due to lack of resources, HP due to unwillingness to spend the resources). So obviously XCode is going to be far more refined than the webOS SDKs, simply because this IS a problem you can simply toss money on and make it got away.

But my ire with the iOS has nothing to do with the things it does right (which obviously is a lot seeing that Apple has seen the kind of success with it that 1996 Apple and MacOS 8 could only dream of). It's actually more abut the things I think Apple does wrong.

For example: people complain about the Touchpad's lack of spit-and-polish and how it should have been more like the iPad... but have we forgotten how bare bones and pathetic the first iPhone was? The Apple I remember wouldn't have released a product that their competitors could do in spades (no copy and paste, no user installable apps, no folders, no MMS, no video recording) AND THEN throw in some vapid feature as a way to say "look at the little birdy!" and make you forget that the $499 device lacked standard features that could be found on a $99 phone. Worse, it took Apple about 3 years to finally bring it to a level equal to what was available on the PALM(/GARNET) OS 5 five years prior (albeit not counting the classic Apple "look and feel"). And there are STILL plenty that I feel the iOS is lacking... no sideloading of apps, no external memory expansion, technically "illegal" hacking and homebrew to help fill in those gaps.... That ain't right, but I will admit that Apple is "wrong" all the way to the bank.

The is more to my gripe with the iOS, but it is basically: yes, the iOS does what it does well... but there is so much more that it can do which I feel is important to have, but I feel that Apple has the gall to say "yeah, you don't need that, because we say so"... only until they finally realize "there's a REASON why it exists" and they finally put it in. I mean, even if the Terminal, Darwin layer and CLI are practically hidden from view, it's STILL there in MacOS X, versus on the iOS where Apple says "you don't need it and you'll void your warantee if you try to install it... not that you could".

Who know what the iOS will look like in five years. Maybe I'll feel that Apple FINALLY got it right and they release an iPhone Pro (just like how there is a Pro version of the Mac and MacBook AND pro tools installed in MacOS X as STANDARD). But currently... the webOS is "getting it right" for me and my mobile needs right now. It's almost like the reason why something doesn't exist on the webOS is because no one got around to it yet, while its lack on the iOS is because Apple says it shouldn't. I mean, again, there is NO reason why there is no file system on the iOS (as far as I'm aware) or any of the other kinds of tools that come preinstalled on MacOS X.

I guess then its more of a philosophical issue than anything else... or something. Or maybe it's because I want my mobile devices to do everything my desktop can, versus be some kind of dumbed down device, and I feel the iOS fails to deliver that even thought I feel it should, while I feel the webOS is the closest one to meet my demands. Am I so out of touch to feel that mobiles should equal desktops in power, usability, functionality and productivity? Again, the iOS does what it does great, but it's not the full featured OS I'd like it to be. .... I'm too sleepy now, can't think straight, but I'm sure you get my drift.

Oh, and concerning multitasking... I think most people are talking about the visible multitasking versus internal multitasking. I mean, maybe if iOS utelized the webOS interface style, the iOS could do it more efficiently than the webOS could. But it doesn't, and probably won't. And when are they going to release MultiFinder on the iOS? It's, what, twenty-four years overdue. :P
    Last edited by nick15; 08/22/2011 at 04:33 AM. Reason: added stuff
    Neliel and echan228 like this.
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    my name is fred and the TouchPad has brought me back into the fold. I started with a palm pilot, then a palm treo 700, then a 755, then i went to windows mobile.

this thing is awesome! i have it set to stream audio/video from my pc, hulu works, spotify works, facebook is awesome! homebrew is what i remember about the old treo community and good to see it lives on with webOS.