Page 11 of 37 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516 21 ... LastLast
Like Tree67Likes
    Is that an official Facebook page?
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Yes
    Strange. Doesn't follow the general Facebook business page feel
    Quote Originally Posted by qdejesus View Post
    Just got off the phone with OnSale (after an hour wait) and they stated that if you did not receive a confirmation for shipment yet, that they have your order on a waiting list. They are currently in contact with their supplier (hp?) trying to fulfill their waiting list orders. The customer rep. said they their website crashed during the time they had stock, so that is why so many orders went through. Well there you have it guys........

FYI I called 888-760-0300

The part about their website crashing doesn't make sense to me for those orders that were placed through Amazon.com. My husband is a seller on Amazon and he has to list how many of each product he has available when he creates or updates the listing. With that said, it seems like they listed WAY more product than they actually had, which I feel is unethical on their part. Unless I am totally off on what I know about selling on Amazon, I will definitely be giving them a negative review if my order is canceled.
    Quote Originally Posted by spite View Post
    The part about their website crashing doesn't make sense to me for those orders that were placed through Amazon.com. My husband is a seller on Amazon and he has to list how many of each product he has available when he creates or updates the listing. With that said, it seems like they listed WAY more product than they actually had, which I feel is unethical on their part. Unless I am totally off on what I know about selling on Amazon, I will definitely be giving them a negative review if my order is canceled.
    Even if they listed quantity, when their site started having issues it could have been that their total orders went over what was their in stock quantity.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Even if they listed quantity, when their site started having issues it could have been that their total orders went over what was their in stock quantity.
    Except that the order is placed through Amazon.com, who has the quantity information. So that would mean Amazon.com would have crashed in order to cause an error, in which case Amazon should/would be on top of contacting all of the customers whose orders will not be fulfilled and refunding as necessary.

Something just feels sketchy about this, but at the same time I don't understand why a company would legitimately dig itself into such a hole. Ugh.
    Last edited by spite; 08/23/2011 at 01:22 PM.
    So okay, OnSale my have had a crash. Whatever.

What gets me is that HP also oversold.

What I'm getting out of this is that both OnSale and HP sold more units than either had in stock. Is this right? THAT is what seems fishy to me. How many other places "oversold"?
    It was explained to me by someone else who sells on Amazon that there is a sort of automated program which sellers can use to "add" more quantity when it gets low, even if you don't physically have it, with the assumption that for most products on a normal day, you'll be able to get more quantity to cover it (let's say you have 100 salt shakers and sell 102, no big deal).

One of the reasons for this is so your store doesn't disappear off the Amazon listing. The other is so you don't have to spend time returning to Amazon and continuously adding more stock for things you frequently sell and restock, especially if you sell hundreds of products on Amazon. You don't want to have to go to Amazon and add exactly 10 TouchPads and exactly 8 iMacs and some exact quantity of hundreds of other products every time the weekly delivery comes. That can get tedious, and as recently as Friday afternoon, when most people get off work for the weekend, nobody was expecting to run out of TouchPad inventory any time soon.

While the OnSale thing was going, it was being watched that every time inventory got down to around 200, another 1,000 were added. The most likely situation is some staffer left this automated inventory increasing software switched on. The vast majority of OnSale customers are not getting TouchPads.

EDIT: Sorry for all the edits, I wanted to make sure it was making sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboladdade View Post
    It was explained to me by someone else who sells on Amazon that there is a sort of automated program which sellers can use to "add" more quantity when it gets low, even if you don't physically have it, with the assumption that for most products on a normal day, you'll be able to get more quantity to cover it (let's say you have 100 salt shakers and sell 102, no big deal).

One of the reasons for this is so your store doesn't disappear off the Amazon listing. The other is so you don't have to remember to keep coming back and adding more stock for things you frequently sell restock, especially if you sell hundreds of products on Amazon. You don't want to have to go to Amazon and add exactly 10 TouchPads and exactly 8 iMacs and some exact quantity of hundreds of other products every time the weekly delivery comes. That can get tedious, and as recently as Friday afternoon, when most people get off work for the weekend, nobody was expecting to run out of TouchPad inventory any time soon.

While the OnSale thing was going, it was being watched that every time inventory got down to around 200, another 1,000 were added. The most likely situation is some staffer left this thing automated inventory increasing software switched on. The vast majority of OnSale customers are not getting TouchPads.
    That would explain why mid-purchase it told me they were sold out, then they weren't a minute later.

One of the reasons for this is so your store doesn't disappear off the Amazon listing. The other is so you don't have to spend time returning to Amazon and continuously adding more stock for things you frequently sell and restock, especially if you sell hundreds of products on Amazon. You don't want to have to go to Amazon and add exactly 10 TouchPads and exactly 8 iMacs and some exact quantity of hundreds of other products every time the weekly delivery comes. That can get tedious, and as recently as Friday afternoon, when most people get off work for the weekend, nobody was expecting to run out of TouchPad inventory any time soon.

While the OnSale thing was going, it was being watched that every time inventory got down to around 200, another 1,000 were added. The most likely situation is some staffer left this automated inventory increasing software switched on. The vast majority of OnSale customers are not getting TouchPads.
    That sounds completely reasonable unfortunately... which is why I'm sad now.
    Quote Originally Posted by un_designer View Post
    That sounds completely reasonable unfortunately...
    I agree, and wanted to spell that out so people don't call and email OnSale staff with harsh words, because it's pretty understandable what happened, however unfortunate.
    I agree, and wanted to spell that out so people don't call and email OnSale staff with harsh words, because it's pretty understandable what happened, however unfortunate.
    It makes complete sense, however I think there's no way nobody was watching their sale numbers. It was up for a few hours, I doubt they overshot by that much when they finally pulled it.
    Global Posts
    340 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    All my money is tied up via pre-authorization for this, so it will end up being canceled in like 3 more days and then all the touchpads will be out the door elsewhere
    This (quote above) and the fact that online shipping websites are actually expected to be able to manage their stock, process orders, and ship products.

If I went to an accountant who does taxes and paid him/her to do my taxes I would expect the accountant to do my taxes. In fact, I shouldn't even have to worry about it or think about it. If I wanted to stress over taxes, I'd do them myself. Instead I've paid a professional who knows how to do taxes to do what they advertise they can do. If I had my accountant take my check, wait past the tax deadline, then come up with some story about how he/she can't really do taxes, it would be unacceptable and unethical.

If I order a Touchpad form an online company like onSale and Amazon, I expect them to have what they sell and actually send me the product. If they can't manage inventory and process and ship a purchase they they need to go paint houses or do something else. It's reasonable to expect a company who holds themself out there as a place to buy things to actually do their job. I'm not asking them to practice medicine or something else they aren't supposed to know how to do, I'm just expecting them to sell and ship the products that they advertise. I'm asking them to do the one thing they say they can do. Like the taxes, I shouldn't have to worry about it and I shouldn't have to deal with the missed deadline (in this case the lost opportunity to buy from someplace else).

And, even if there was a glitch or error, don't be contacting me on 8/24 about it when I placed the order on 8/21. It doesn't take three days to tell me they can't send me something...

Ok, I'm done for now...
    Late '08 MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 500 GB HD 7200; Mid 2011 MacBook Air 11" 1.6GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD; 32GB iPhone 4; 32GB WiFi iPad 2 (White); Apple TV; Nikon D300; AND (Hopefully) a 16GB HP Touchpad from the fire sale! TWITTER: @RobT43
    MercuryCrest and JirafaBo like this.
    so how are we going to get our money back?
    Quote Originally Posted by Synthes View Post
    It makes complete sense, however I think there's no way nobody was watching their sale numbers. It was up for a few hours, I doubt they overshot by that much when they finally pulled it.
    I'm not sure that I would find a few hour delay for anyone at OnSale to notice this happening in the middle of a beautiful summer Sunday afternoon all that hard to believe. You might ask, "why, then, did they drop the price to $99 on Sunday?" My answer to that would be, somebody probably just logged in from home around lunch-time and switched the price, went out and enjoyed the afternoon, came back home and had a minor heart attack.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I talked with Ares at OnSale this morning (after a 47min wait) and she provided me with my UPS Ground tracking # for the (1) 16gb I ordered at 5:07pm EST on Sunday. She also stated that I was the first of 60 calls she'd taken today who's order wasn't being cancelled.
    I ordered my Touchpad at around 3:00 PM PST on Sunday and still have yet to receive a UPS Tracking Number if they won't comply or fill in the order they should at least refund our money.
    so one thing we have learned from all this, is that most electronic shops have sucky inventory tracking.

my amazon onsale order is in limbo.

my costcentral order the same, but at least i got this for them this morning:

We would like to thank you for your recent order of an HP Touchpad.

Due to an overwhelming response to this item, we will require additional time to process and ship these orders. If you chose expedited shipping, your order will ship via that method however it will still take additional time to process your order. Rest assured we are working as quickly as possible to process your order.

We received tens of thousands of orders for the HP Touchpads. We have restructured our support team to help with the processing of these orders. In order to allow our support staff to work on processing these order, we ask that you please refrain from contacting us for the status of your order. Once your order has been processed and shipped, you will automatically receive an email with tracking information. If we should encounter an issue with your order, you will be contacted directly.

If you have concerns if you order has been received; you may log into your CostCentral.com account and your order should appear in your order history.

We do apologize for the delay and rest assured your order will be filled as soon as possible and that your credit card will not be charged until your order is ready to ship.

We appreciate your business and your patience while we work to process and fill every customers order.

The CostCentral.com Team
    unfortunately, it doesnt say if I will get one.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I've now passed the time when I'd normally get an order canceled. My charger will probably be done processing soon, and they are almost past their shipping dates. I also have missed out on other opportunities as others have. Our accounts indicate nothing, no emails, amazon still looks good, I understand that issues do happen, but in all honesty, in the end, when you charge a buyer and they don't know whether they are getting their product, it kind of becomes a concern... On sale has a great rating so it's obviously a decent company, but... They could kill that rep buy doing this... The best way to make it up to us is just get some from HP and send them 1day shipping.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe View Post
    so one thing we have learned from all this, is that most electronic shops have sucky inventory tracking.

my amazon onsale order is in limbo.

my costcentral order the same, but at least i got this for them this morning:

unfortunately, it doesnt say if I will get one.
    At least you aren't being charged... That's what's frustrating those who ordered this via amazon and onsale.

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive