Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    I just purchased two Touchpads at the firesale price for my two toddlers. I am familiar with the Apple store in the sense that if I configure all my "iDevices" with the same AppleID, apps only have to be purchased once. So for instance, if my daughter purchases a game on her iPod, my son can download the same game on his iPod for free. A message pops up stating the app was already purchased and will be downloaded for free.

Does the same hold true for the Touchpad? Should I configure both units with the same account? If so, has anyone tried this?
    probably won't be able to have both on the same account.

toddlers with a touchpad? Really?
    sorli likes this.
    I"m going through this right now... wasn't sure what to do either but used my same webOS credentials on the second one. Looks like it is automatically setting up the second one to match what was installed on the first. If this works out I will be really impressed! Downloading 3.0.2 ... will post update shortly after update finishes its thing.
    I was under the impression that you could. My Pre and Touchpad have the same account. I bought a second touchpad, and when it arrives, I plan to attempt to use the same profile.
    Wow... can't get the 3.0.2 update to download... keeps kicking me out. Are the servers that busy tonight!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyflyer View Post
    Wow... can't get the 3.0.2 update to download... keeps kicking me out. Are the servers that busy tonight!?
    must be i had soem new apps fail to download, had to reclick a few times to start them.
  7.    #7  
    Sorry, I should have used a different terminology other than toddler. My kids are 6 and 8. They both have iPods and are always wanting to play with my iPad. for $99 I got them there own tablets.

Skyflyer and Tampaguy75, let me know your outcome. I dont want both units to be identical, I just dont want to pay twice for the same app, assuming the app store will still exist.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Pretty sure you cannot use the same profile on 2 touchpads at the same time.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    With the Pre, if you log into a second Pre with your account, the original Pre will log you out and ask you to sign in again.

From a security standpoint, this makes a lot of sense-- if you stole my phone and I replace it, I don't want you continually getting my updates.

I suspect that this will be the case with the Touchpad as well-- I get where they're coming from, but it would be nice to have the apps sync across all the devices. On the other hand, I don't necessarily want my work TP syncing pictures to Facebook, for example...
  10.    #10  
    With my iPad and family iPods, all are using the same AppleID but all have different app accounts. My iPod has my Facebook account, email accounts, contacts, etc, and my wife has her own Facebook account, email accounts, contacts and the kids have thier own stuff. None of my daugher's iPod Barbie games are on my iPod and none of my iPod games are on her iPod but on app like Shazam, all I have to do is purchase it once and install on all the other devices for free since I already paid for it. Each device has its own layout, apps, settings. They do not sync with each other. The only thing that is the same is the Apple Store/AppleID account. I can log into the Apple MobileMe website and track, wipe each device individually.
    This could get interesting for all of us with multiple TP... 302 update installing now. It appears that some of the apps came over but none of the account information is set up. I am having to enter all accounts in the second TP which is great as the second TP is for my mom so I am setting up her gmail and skype accounts now and will then register that into the TP. I'm still trying to figure out what apps came over and if any of the patches and uberkernel.

I'm hoping this will be the way to go as I will be able to see/manage all my TP in webOS accounts. Next I will need to put sticky notes on all the TP telling people not to install HP Updates as that will react badly with all the patches/uberkernel!

EDIT.... What am I saying!? HP Updates!?????? Ok people... it has been a loooong weekend.
    Last edited by Skyflyer; 08/21/2011 at 07:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    probably won't be able to have both on the same account.

toddlers with a touchpad? Really?
    My neighbor kid is starting 1st grade, ipads are required for each student. If they don't have one, it's added into the years tuition. So it's only a matter of time I'm sure.
    Just think of it as high tech Leapfrog stuff
    sorli likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazybirdman View Post
    My neighbor kid is starting 1st grade, ipads are required for each student. If they don't have one, it's added into the years tuition. So it's only a matter of time I'm sure.
    Just think of it as high tech Leapfrog stuff
    must be a fancy private school!
  14.    #14  
    We are a gadget driven family. both my kids have iPod touches, kindles, PSP's and laptops. my plan is to replace their kindles with the Touchpad since there is a kindle app.
    Quote Originally Posted by mannymendez25 View Post
    Sorry, I should have used a different terminology other than toddler. My kids are 6 and 8. They both have iPods and are always wanting to play with my iPad. for $99 I got them there own tablets.

Skyflyer and Tampaguy75, let me know your outcome. I dont want both units to be identical, I just dont want to pay twice for the same app, assuming the app store will still exist.
    Personally, I think the App Catalog (and webOS development in general) will have a whole lot better chance of continuing to exist, if the flood of new TouchPad buyers aren't too cheap to mind paying a few bucks for apps on each of them...

--John
  16.    #16  
    John, that does make sense and I would agree that the more apps us users purchase, the higher chances are that developers will want to make money off of us, however, Apple allows the capablility of paying once for an app and downloading to all your devices on your account and they are making money hand over fist.

For the Touchpad to be relevant, it has to be better than the iPad not worse, in every feature and functionality and it had to be cheaper than the iPad.

I thought the Palm Pre was going to kick the iPhones but which is why i was first in line at the sprint store the day the Pre was released. But unfortunately it failed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    With the Pre, if you log into a second Pre with your account, the original Pre will log you out and ask you to sign in again.

From a security standpoint, this makes a lot of sense-- if you stole my phone and I replace it, I don't want you continually getting my updates.

I suspect that this will be the case with the Touchpad as well-- I get where they're coming from, but it would be nice to have the apps sync across all the devices. On the other hand, I don't necessarily want my work TP syncing pictures to Facebook, for example...
    You'll be wrong with the TouchPad. When you log into the profile, it will copy the existing Touchpad and download whatever apps/info are on your current profile. I know because I picked up a 16G TouchPad for my daughter early Saturday morning. Once it is setup, the devices will not share anything - that is, any apps you purchase or accounts you setup will not transfer to the other device. I'm not sure if there's an easy way to do that (for instance if apps are tied to a profile, I don't know if you can then download them on the other device - it should work, but I haven't tried it). Both TouchPad will show up in your profile with the names you assigned them.
    I have a similar (but different) question: My and my wife both have Pre- (on 2.1), each on their own profile (first day german devices). Today I managed to get 2x Pre3 and 2x TP 32GB units from the german firesale, just before the store and hotline hopelessly broke into pieces.

Its quite clear that the Pre3s could (should?) be logged into our old profiles, replacing the Pre-s. We do not have any paid apps yet, so this would mainly be for comfortably regetting the contacts. Any Pros and Cons?

What about the TPs? What are the Pros and Cons for logging them into our old profiles/creating new ones?

I somewhere read about the fact that the profile can hold primary and (multiple?) secondary devices. What is the benefit of being a primary device?

Thanks for clarifications!
    I was able to user the same WebOS profile for both of my touchpads.
    Quote Originally Posted by tampaguy75 View Post
    I was able to user the same WebOS profile for both of my touchpads.
    That's good to know, it would be short-sighted of Palm not to consider people owning more than one webOS tablet device.

Certainly shouldn't have to pay for the same app on each device. As mentioned above it's a single purchase for iPads...but also for Macs. e.g. purchase iMovie through the App Store on an iMac and it can be downloaded to a Macbook which has the same Apple User ID.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast