I have 4 TouchPads and 1 PalmPre using the same HP/Palm Profile:
- The Pre and TP#1 is for me, and TPs #2,3,4 are for my kids.
- TP#1 was setup to sync with my Pre. (the setup flow prompts you to select one device from the list of devices already on your profile)
- All apps that were on the Pre showed up on TP#1 (most worked; some of the PDK games did not work properly, some did).
- I purchased and installed some TouchPad optimized apps for TP#1
- TP#2 was setup to sync with TP#1.
- All apps that were on TP#1 showed up on TP#2
- I removed all email, calendar, facebook account, contacts, etc from TP#2, since those were for me only. I then added a few contacts with Skype info using HP/Palm Profile to store them. I also removed apps that my kids would not care about. So TP#2 became my template for a "Kid's TouchPad".
- TPs #3 and #4 were setup to sync with TP#2.
- All apps that were on TP#2 showed up on TP#3 and #4
- All contacts that were on TP#2 showed up on TP#3 and #4
- Later on, during the six-pack free promo code, I purchased 3 games on TP#1. I also purchased a game for my son on TP#4.
- All 4 games now showed up as "free" on all of the other TP's App Catalogs. I manually installed each one.
This is absolutely FANTASTIC. I don't have to buy 4 copies of every game for my family to enjoy. I don't have to worry about which device to purchase it on. I can 'remove' an app from a particular TP without affecting the others, and reinstall it later if desired. This beats paying $50 x 3 for a DSi game so each of my kids can play it. Now I pay an average of $5 for a top-notch game and all my kids (plus me!) can enjoy it. As a result, I have gone nuts buying as many apps as possible.
You can not do this with phones. Only WebOS 3.x devices, i.e., the TouchPad, support this.
Note: I read somewhere that developers can choose whether or not to allow their app to be installed on multiple devices with a single purchase. None of the apps I purchased had this restriction. Kudos to developers for this. It might seem like they take a hit in the short run, but it makes managing the apps for each device so simple that it encourages impulse buying like never before.
There is a maximum number of devices you are allowed to use with each Profile, but I am not sure if (1) it is 5 or 6 devices and (2) if the device count includes the Pre. Anyone know the answer to this?