Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewT3 View Post
    I think you are being wildly optimistic. Any app sales bump from these tablets will be done in a few weeks. Most will end up running android, in the "gadget museum" or sitting on Grandma's desk collecting dust.

    Developers who want a last splash will be done by November. The rest have left already. If there is a licensee of WebOS, and they do a rush job to get a product to market in a year (hugely unlikely), they will find that they have to start from scratch with developers and carry the baggage of two previous WebOS launch failures.

    No, it's dead. Enjoy the cheap hardware.
    And you underestimate the power of the computer and OS illiterate. A few hackers (and myself) will install Android on these tablets. That's about it. The rest will keep webOS on it. As an example I have 26 employees and myself. I am the only one out of the whole bunch who even knows how to install an operating system. Everyone comes to me when they have a computer problem. I am also the only one that uses Linux on my computers (dual boot). Computer illiterate folks make up over 90% of the population. They will make up 90% of the Touchpad buyers also. Of the twenty or so folks who tried to get a Touchpad while I was in Best Buy, only three of us knew about porting Android to it. The rest didn't know and didn't care. WebOS has some time left but that time is slowly running out.
  2. #22  
    it's definitely catchy and get webos out there. A buddy of mine who's been hemming and hawing on android vs ipad, decides today to get the $99 from amazon. He never even heard of webos before. I didn't even try to convince him - he just saw my fb post.

    What better advertising campaign?! My apps have jumped on downloads. And i'll bet many people who ordered online haven't even opened/gotten there's yet!
  3. #23  
    how much do these tablets really cost to build? Here's some no-name android one for $89? At that price I'd rather get a TP (returned orig and bought 3 now at firesale price for friends).

    View Android Nextbook™ 7" Tablet and eBook Reader Deals at Big Lots
  4. #24  
    A ~1million user install base is simply not enough. A HUGE percentage of that comes from the fire sale, so even if you forget about the small total numbers, their willingness to invest into apps will be far less than the average consumer.

    Why should HP care about this? @ $100 you could pretty much sell out any half decent tablet, of course you'd be losing money and not taking care of business. If they couldn't get by with a $399 price tag, what was the sweet spot for consumers to care? A profit losing $299?

    The problem will always be how to get consumers interested in buying WebOS tablets @ a reasonable, profitable price. Now that they sold out via a fire sale, could they suddenly raise the price to $399 and have the same traction? I doubt it; they'd be collecting dust at best buy while a line collected behind the iPad displays.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    how much do these tablets really cost to build? Here's some no-name android one for $89? At that price I'd rather get a TP (returned orig and bought 3 now at firesale price for friends).

    View Android Nextbook™ 7" Tablet and eBook Reader Deals at Big Lots
    Are you serious? It has a WVGA resistive touch screen, don't know what the CPU is but it's probably a sub 1 GHZ single core. So.. of course you'd get a touch pad over that but nobody is going to throw truckloads of cash in the garbage to provide you a cheap profitless good tablet.

    Edit: Business insider puts the manufacturing cost of the iPad 2 @ $325. The touchpad has to be in that ballpark.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    Are you serious? It has a WVGA resistive touch screen, don't know what the CPU is but it's probably a sub 1 GHZ single core. So.. of course you'd get a touch pad over that but nobody is going to throw truckloads of cash in the garbage to provide you a cheap profitless good tablet.

    Edit: Business insider puts the manufacturing cost of the iPad 2 @ $325. The touchpad has to be in that ballpark.
    Touchpad cost was something like $312 for the 32GB and $299 for the 16GB.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    it's definitely catchy and get webos out there. A buddy of mine who's been hemming and hawing on android vs ipad, decides today to get the $99 from amazon. He never even heard of webos before. I didn't even try to convince him - he just saw my fb post.

    What better advertising campaign?! My apps have jumped on downloads. And i'll bet many people who ordered online haven't even opened/gotten there's yet!
    Well I hope you guys (developers) stay around until HP decides what they will do with the software. My wife purchased $14 in apps today. I have purchased a lot more (I think I'm up to $50 or more) and will continue to buy from you guys as long as the Touchpad is supported.
  8. #28  
    this firesale is bananas!!!...i mean the touchpad is cheaper than a nook!...wow i dont kno what to think!!...actually theres nothing to think about just buy like theres no tomorrow lol...
  9. #29  
    Guys, all this talk about HP now doing a 180 and decides on keeping everything going after the fire sale, not happening. They already knew it would sell out and fast at that price. They planned that, there, $99, gone and cutting at least some losses.

    You're acting as if these huge numbers of tablets sold means anything. They don't. They mean that HP got rid of them and can now discontinue them, as well as all their other hardware, as already planned.
  10. #30  
    Yeah HP is done with tablets/Phones. this firesale will cost them millions . Now you want them to spend billions again to try again after losing an unfanthomable amount of money. they said it. there cutting there losses and are done with it. People need to just read the words and not try to create what is not there. We should all be appreciatve. We got decent tablets for $99 even if the OS is done. Still $99 and you can put Android or whatever on it . Worth every penny.
    Last edited by VaccPalm; 08/22/2011 at 11:44 AM.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Yeah HP is done with tablets/Phones. this firesale will cost them millions . Now you want them to spend billions again to try again after losing an unfanthomable amount of money. they said it. there cutting there losses and are done with it. People need to just read the words and not try to create what is not there. We should all be appreciatve. We got decent tablets for $99 even if the OS is done. Still $99 and you can put Android or whatever on it . Worth every penny.
    Man I respect your opinion but what is the point of going around ****ing in everybody else's cherios? Can't you just be happy that people got a deal and leave it at that. What is the point of spreading all the doom and gloom? We all know what was said by that moron of a ceo. There's no point in trying to rub everybody's face in it. I am happy for the gift and I hope the software doesn't get killed off by small minded idiots like Leo.
  12.    #32  
    Everyone take a breath. Ok exhale. The point of this thread is this:

    HP's fire sale is working against what everyone thought. They actually increased the user base for webOS. I say if that's what it takes extend the fire sale. Get a few more million folks using it and talking about it. They already wasted millions of dollars trying to do this with advertising and training. Take that money and dump it into some more devices for a limited time. If their goal is to licence it and increase the developer pool, what better way of doing that from a position of strength then having 2-4 million hungry webOS users behind you. That plan makes more since then losing 12 billion dollars in market value and not gaining anything in return.
  13. #33  
    I bet HP price Touchpads at 100 because they thought it STILL wouldnt sell. Shoot at 200 it still would have flew off the shelves.
  14. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #34  
    HP losing billions of market cap has to do with Wall Street thinking that (1) they overpaid for Autonomy and (2) uncertainty of PC business would dampen HP's PC sales.

    It has NOTHING to do webos.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by tasogare View Post
    I believe it's called a "loss leader." Sony did this with the PS3 and Microsoft with the XBox. Once people have the hardware, they are locked on that ecosystem and consume the more profitable software.
    that would be fine IFF they positioned this price offering as a loss leader and marketed it as such. Instead they announced the DEATH of Palm/WebOS and people know this as a FIRESALE -- completely the wrong and opposite effect to a loss leader... NEGATIVE marketing value, not positive...

    Yes they made the same, and MORE SERIOUS mistake of announcing the exit of their $30B PC business (a third of HP's annual revenue)... they are just battle 1000 for destroying themselves...
  16. #36  
    I was just wondering how many thousands more do they have sitting in a factory that just require final assembly? If demand is still high enough and to avoid the risk of ****ing off people for not fulfilling orders, would HP consider continuing assembly?
  17. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    A ~1million user install base is simply not enough. A HUGE percentage of that comes from the fire sale, so even if you forget about the small total numbers, their willingness to invest into apps will be far less than the average consumer.
    I don't necessaily agree with your statement. The "fire Sale" enabled many to buy something that they normally would not or could not afford. Now that the device is in their hands, I expect people to explore the App Store. Just because people wouldn't or couldn't pay $500 - $600 for a device, doesn't translate into not being interested in buying some relatively inexpensive apps.
  18. #38  
    If HP were to release a Touchpad 4G (64gb) "limited edition" at a reasonable price and sell it direct, I'll buy at least one. What's the chance of that? Probably nil. What's a reasonable price? For me, it would be $500. The margin would be better than PSD's PC margins.
    Dan Donovan
  19. #39  
    well i gotta ask,, i know i know there was a post about the cost of parts and what not.. but does anyone really really know how much the largest PC builder seller in the world actually paid for these things? Think about it, volume in any business is usually the mark for cost... Based on the what HP has done in the past, with volume of different products, are we sure the cost per unit is as high as what we think it is.. just a thought
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by mysterfix View Post
    It sounds messed up to say it but this fire sale might just be the thing that saves WebOS from a slow painful death. Having this many people on webos is going to be a big incentive for developers and maybe even HP to stick with it and hopefully breath new life into it.
    But that's just the thing. Let's say--and this is WILDLY optimistic--that HP manages to end up with a full 1 million TouchPads in users' hands following the fire sale. I'd say, somewhere in the low- to mid-100s of thousands is more likely, but let's say it's a million.

    That is NOT a significant market for developers. Sorry, but it's just not. Particularly when it's a DEAD market, with no new users coming in the foreseeable future. Developers are looking at iOS with 100+ million users and Android with 100+ users, and even WP7 with a few million but a decent enough outlook for future growth, and seeing THOSE as significant markets.

    Come on, folks, a million users is nothing. A drop in the bucket. Not nearly enough to entice major developers to port apps to webOS. And I doubt even hardcore niche webOS devs will stick around.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions