Page 74 of 185 FirstFirst ... 2464697071727374757677787984124174 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,480 of 3697
Like Tree1000Likes
  1. #1461  
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    I think HP has been pretty upfront about the instock situation.
    To everyone bashing HP -- feel free to cancel and walk away.
    How do you figure? They allowed thousands of people to order product they not only didn't have on hand, but hadn't even built yet. How is that good customer service let alone make logical sense? The excuse that there was "unprecedented overwhelming demand" only goes so far. This isn't rocket science. Hp knew there would be huge sales driven by the 100 dollar price point. That's why they took such a ridiculous loss. They should have shut down there website when they ran out of product. Of course you can walk away, but they really F'd this all up.
    raysgrumpy and mathewjj like this.
  2. #1462  
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    I think HP has been pretty upfront about the instock situation.
    To everyone bashing HP -- feel free to cancel and walk away.
    Um, no they haven't. The majority of posters to this thread are "bashing" HP because HP has not communicated to us if our orders are going to be fulfill, and it's taken two weeks for some kind of official answer.

    If you're upset about people bashing HP, feel free to stop looking at this thread.

    Personally, I'll continue to bash HP for being incompetent in regards to effectively communicating to it's customers and NOT cancel my order - thank you very much.
    Ordered 16GB TouchPad on 8/21/11@1135, HPO#30563xxx, WO#4408xxx
  3. reeper55's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    #1463  
    Quote Originally Posted by lafester View Post
    I think HP has been pretty upfront about the instock situation.
    To everyone bashing HP -- feel free to cancel and walk away.
    That's absurd! They have been upfront about not having any idea of what's going on, that's it!
    mathewjj likes this.
  4. #1464  
    Quote Originally Posted by bassoprofundo View Post
    ........

    It has taken us longer than anticipated to work through the high volume of orders that were received. We apologize for any uncertainty this caused, but we are now in a position to understand our ability to fulfill your order.

    ..............
    I ordered before the 8/22 4AM CST cutoff.

    HP said it would send out emails to it's customers regarding their TP orders within the next 48-hours (HP Twitter account, ~1:30PM on 9/1).

    It is now 2PM 9/3 - it's past their stated 48-hour window.

    They had two weeks to "...understand our ability to fulfill your order."

    I have no email, I am not alone. HP does not understand. HP either a) lied, b) is incompetent, c) just doesn't give a damn.

    Sigh, Look HP - I'll wait as long as I need to, a $99 tablet is a steal - just tell me *** is going on - it's a completely reasonable thing to expect, especially after two weeks.
    Ordered 16GB TouchPad on 8/21/11@1135, HPO#30563xxx, WO#4408xxx
  5. #1465  
    Quote Originally Posted by raraku View Post
    I ordered before the 8/22 4AM CST cutoff.

    HP said it would send out emails to it's customers regarding their TP orders within the next 48-hours (HP Twitter account, ~1:30PM on 9/1).

    It is now 2PM 9/3 - it's past their stated 48-hour window.

    They had two weeks to "...understand our ability to fulfill your order."

    I have no email, I am not alone. HP does not understand. HP either a) lied, b) is incompetent, c) just doesn't give a damn.

    Sigh, Look HP - I'll wait as long as I need to, a $99 tablet is a steal - just tell me *** is going on - it's a completely reasonable thing to expect, especially after two weeks.
    +1
  6. #1466  
    It seems to lack rhyme or reason why so many have heard nothing.

    HP's CS and PRPRPR $units$ $seem$ $to$ $be$ &$quot$;$full$ $of$ $sound$ $and$ $fury$ $and$ $signifying$ $nothing$.&$quot$;

    Since my confirming email on Sunday the 21st for my Saturday early evening orders, I have not heard another word from HP. That's two weeks with no further communication. At first I gave them some slack given that they were inundated. After two weeks to get things cured, there is no longer a valid excuse.
    raraku and raysgrumpy like this.
  7. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #1467  
    I completely understand HP's initial difficulties with the online firesale. They just did not expect the response they got. However, 2 weeks should be enough time to re-group and formulat/articulate a plan for moving forward. If you're going to tell one of your employees (Bryna, Twitter) to let customers know that they'll receive an email to give them status, you need to get the email out. Everytime HP seems to have an opportunity to get a handle on the situation, they wind up falling short.

    They know that their customers are very anxious about the status of their orders. They're getting feedback from Twitter, Facebook, Precentral, etc. While this sale might turn out to be just what webOS needed to gain a foothold in the market, I have serious doubts about HP doing anything with it based on their current inability to handle something as simple as communicating to their customer base via email. If I were an enterprise customer, or potential enterprise customer, this situation, and its continued mismanagement would have me seriously considering another service provider.

    I know the $99 or $149 TP is an amazing deal. However, it was HP's idea to offer it, not mine. It is their responsibility to figure out what needs to be done and accomplish that in a timely manner. You cannot get mad at your customers for expecting basic service and information. Granted these are extrodinary circumstances. However, HP has now had enough time to collect themselves, and should be doing a better job. Most people are just asking to be re-assured that their orders will be honored, and to be given a realistic estimate of delivery.

    HP...Come on man
  8. #1468  
    @BrynaAtHP has gone silent........

    Nothing since Sept 1

    #staycoolmybabies
    raraku likes this.
  9. #1469  
    For people who don't have an Android phone, but have a linux box somewhere (a Touchpad perhaps), here's a script to scrape the hp status page. It'll store the result and sends off an email if anything changes. Customize it to your needs. You need to have sendmail/postfix configured for the email sending to work as is.

    Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what you do with this script, but be nice and don't break the hp server.

    Also, I don't usually program in perl, so...don't judge me

    To run it every 6 hours:
    Code:
    0 */6 * * *  /path/to/the/script/monitor.pl WEBORDERID > /dev/null
    Code:
    #!/usr/bin/perl -w
    
    use WWW::Mechanize;
    use HTML::TreeBuilder;
    use HTML::TableContentParser;
    use HTML::TagFilter;
    use Data::Compare;
    
    use Storable;
    
    #       Simple Email Function
    #       ($to, $from, $subject, $message)
    sub sendEmail
    {
            my ($to, $from, $subject, $message) = @_;
            my $sendmail = '/usr/lib/sendmail';
            open(MAIL, "|$sendmail -oi -t");
            print MAIL "From: $from\n";
            print MAIL "To: $to\n";
            print MAIL "Subject: $subject\n\n";
            print MAIL "$message\n";
            close(MAIL);
    }
    
    $num_args = $#ARGV + 1;
    if ($num_args != 1) {
            print "Usage: monitor.pl order_id\n";
            exit;
    }
    
    $order_id = $ARGV[0];
    $filename = "monitor_result_$order_id";
    
    my $tf = HTML::TagFilter->new();
    $tf->deny_tags({ a => { all => [] }, tt => { all => []}, img => {all => []} });
    
    $url = 'https://h20497.www2.hp.com/os/public.tcl?po=&orderno=&webno=' . $order_id . '&attn=&delvno=&reqField=po_date&podate=08%2F21%2F2011&display.x=43&display.y=6&sort=a-po';
    $m = WWW::Mechanize->new( autocheck => 1 );
    $m->get($url);
    
    $c = $m->content;
    $c =~ m{<table .*? summary=.Main Body.>(.*?)</table>}s
    or die "Can't find the population table\n";
    $t = $1;
    @outer = $t =~ m{<table .*? summary=.Main Body.>(.*?)</table>}gs;
    shift @outer;
    
    $t = "<html><body><table>$t</table></body></html>";
    
    $tcp = HTML::TableContentParser->new;
    my $tree = HTML::TreeBuilder->new;
    $tables = $tcp->parse($t);
    
    $index = 0;
    
    @headers = ();
    @values = ();
    
    
    for $t (@$tables) {
            for $r (@{$t->{rows}}) {
                    $index++;
                    if ($index == 1 ) { next; }
                    for $c (@{$r->{cells}}) {
                            $cell = $tf->filter($c->{data});
                            $cell =~ s/<br>/ /g;
                            $cell =~ s/&nbsp;/ /g;
                            if($index == 2) {
                                    push(@headers, $cell);
                            }else{
                                    push(@values, $cell);
                            }
                    }  
            }
    }
    
    my %result;
    @result{@headers} = @values;
    
    $result_str = "";
    
    foreach $k (sort keys %result) { $result_str .= sprintf("%22s=> %s\n", $k, $result{$k}); }
    
    print $result_str;
    print "\n";
    
    if(-e $filename) {
            %prev_result = %{ retrieve($filename) };
            if(Compare(\%prev_result, \%result)) {
                    print "The current result is identical to the previous one.\n";
                    print "Nothing to be done. See you in a bit.\n";
            }else{
                    print "The current result is not identical to the previous one.\n";
                    sendEmail('YOURNAME <YOUREMAIL>', 'Monitor Bot <monitorbot@somwhere.com>', "HP #$order_id Status: Changed", $result_str);
                    print "Email Notification Sent.\n";
            }
    }else{
            print "First run. Storing result\n";
            sendEmail('YOURNAME <YOUREMAIL>', 'Monitor Bot <monitorbot@somwhere.com>', "HP #$order_id Status: New", $result_str);
            print "Email Notification Sent.\n";
    }
    
    store(\%result, $filename);
  10. #1470  
    Quote Originally Posted by memyselfandi View Post
    Show me a product below 400 bucks that has the touchpads specs and a 9.7 inch screen....
    How about this:
    10.1" LED backlit LCD @1024x600 res
    Dual core 1GHz Cortex-A9 / NVidia Tegra 2
    512MB RAM
    16GB internal storage
    1080p video decode and encode
    1.3 megapixel camera
    802.11b/g/n
    Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    MicroSD slot
    USB (slave)
    USB host
    HDMI out
    3650MAh battery

    These are the specs for the Viewsonic gTablet, which frequently goes for $279 and occasionally as low as $239. In fact it went on sale for $239 on woot on the 21st (go figure, had I not ordered the TP already, I would've bought one at that price).

    Note that there are already MANY custom Android firmwares for this device (in fact the stock firmware is crap, the device is totally transformed by reflashing).

    Yes, the TP has it beat on the screen res, and the screen quality, but the Tegra 2 in the GT balances that out nicely.
    The MicroSD slot, USB Host port, and HDMI output are all enormous bonuses the TP doesn't have.
    The TP wins hard with double the RAM and battery capacity though.
  11. #1471  
    Quote Originally Posted by glabifrons View Post
    How about this:
    10.1" LED backlit LCD @1024x600 res
    Dual core 1GHz Cortex-A9 / NVidia Tegra 2
    512MB RAM
    16GB internal storage
    1080p video decode and encode
    1.3 megapixel camera
    802.11b/g/n
    Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR
    MicroSD slot
    USB (slave)
    USB host
    HDMI out
    3650MAh battery

    These are the specs for the Viewsonic gTablet, which frequently goes for $279 and occasionally as low as $239. In fact it went on sale for $239 on woot on the 21st (go figure, had I not ordered the TP already, I would've bought one at that price).

    Note that there are already MANY custom Android firmwares for this device (in fact the stock firmware is crap, the device is totally transformed by reflashing).

    Yes, the TP has it beat on the screen res, and the screen quality, but the Tegra 2 in the GT balances that out nicely.
    The MicroSD slot, USB Host port, and HDMI output are all enormous bonuses the TP doesn't have.
    The TP wins hard with double the RAM and battery capacity though.

    The gtablet isn't really a daily driver with any ROM to be completely honest. If you want hardware acceleration you have to use a froyo rom which is rather awful on a tablet. Plus the screen sucks. It has virtually no good viewing angles besides straight on.

    Yes, there are honeycomb ports, but they're still very much beta and there's a lot of work yet to be done.

    The touchpad with WebOS is so much more polished. Yes, it may lack the plethora of apps, but some of the better Android ones aren't usable on the gtablet due to lack of true hardware acceleration and other factors that make them sluggish or simply inoperable.

    I would have to disagree in saying they balance out nicely. The TP is really a superior device in every category (aside from the custom ROM aspect).

    /end two cents
  12. #1472  
    I have a Viewsonic G-Tablet and an HP Touchpad. There is not comparision between the two, the TP wins hands down (build quality, image/screen quaility, OS stability).
  13. vreihen's Avatar
    Posts
    495 Posts
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    #1473  
    Quote Originally Posted by staycoolmybabies View Post
    @BrynaAtHP has gone silent........

    Nothing since Sept 1

    #staycoolmybabies
    Maybe it's just me showing my age, but has anyone confirmed that the Twitter account being quoted is actually an official communications source by HP? Referring to paying customers as "my babies" isn't language that you would expect to see in an official corporate communication from a business the size of HP, which leaves me wondering if BrynaAtHP is either a joke by an iPad owner or else an HP phone operator who has little official news beyond what we already know?????
    Sent from my Etch-a-Sketch.

    #staycoolmybabies
  14. #1474  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Maybe it's just me showing my age, but has anyone confirmed that the Twitter account being quoted is actually an official communications source by HP? Referring to paying customers as "my babies" isn't language that you would expect to see in an official corporate communication from a business the size of HP, which leaves me wondering if BrynaAtHP is either a joke by an iPad owner or else an HP phone operator who has little official news beyond what we already know?????
    Well she's been tweeting about HP since at least January and is listed as a "social media manager". I'm sure it's legitimate, it's just she can only relay what she's told, she's not making decisions. Probably more in the know than a customer service rep but it seems like no one knows a whole lot (or isn't willing to say).
  15. #1475  
    Quote Originally Posted by tweak41 View Post
    The gtablet isn't really a daily driver with any ROM to be completely honest. If you want hardware acceleration you have to use a froyo rom which is rather awful on a tablet. Plus the screen sucks. It has virtually no good viewing angles besides straight on.

    Yes, there are honeycomb ports, but they're still very much beta and there's a lot of work yet to be done.

    The touchpad with WebOS is so much more polished. Yes, it may lack the plethora of apps, but some of the better Android ones aren't usable on the gtablet due to lack of true hardware acceleration and other factors that make them sluggish or simply inoperable.

    I would have to disagree in saying they balance out nicely. The TP is really a superior device in every category (aside from the custom ROM aspect).

    /end two cents
    I actually had a long conversation with a coworker who bought a gTablet from woot some time back about that very topic. He had basically the same statements about the firmware (he's planning to downgrade back to froyo for the video acceleration), except he pointed out that the Honeycomb port is getting *very* close to having hardware acceleration (NVidia is far friendlier to open-source devs than any of the other vendors).

    For those who plan on installing one of the Android ports on their TPs, it'll be a *very* long wait before the 1st one is usable, and full hardware acceleration is unlikely (from what I understand, I hope I'm wrong).

    As far as the viewing angles go, I handled one for about 10 minutes (admittedly brief time) and I didn't think it was as bad as the reviews state (he didn't either). Besides, do you *really* use a tablet at sharp angles? (I've never seen my wife user her iPad at any angle other than straight-on)

    What I meant about balancing out is the Tegra2 has a very powerful GPU that is very well supported and supportable (see NVidia comment above). I'm unsure of how the Snapdragon compares with the Tegra2 (from CPU aspect) though.

    I've only seen the TP's UI in youtube videos so far, and agree that the UI appears to be extremely nice... possibly even on par with the Nokia N9s! This was actually the reason I decided to place an order (I had never even looked into the TP before as I thought the price was absurd).

    I'm actually hoping for a MeeGo port (just because I'm very familiar (and happy) with Maemo and would like to hack around with it) but from what I've seen, I think I'll still be quite happy with the stock OS (with tweaks, of course).


    All of the above aside, I was merely responding to the statement insinuating that there were no other tablets with equivalent specs for under $400. The statement didn't indicate they had to be WebOS tablets, as that would be a given.
  16. #1476  
    Clamor for HP TouchPads turns nasty Bryna Corcoran

    #staycoolmybabies

    OH, here's what happened:

    K, pulling a #BailWhale and getting off Twitter. I've inbox-bombed HP peeps for answers to some of your most FAQs - specially you SMB peeps.
    @BrynaAtHP 2 days ago
    Last edited by staycoolmybabies; 09/03/2011 at 04:19 PM.
    raraku likes this.
  17. #1477  
    Quote Originally Posted by vreihen View Post
    Maybe it's just me showing my age, but has anyone confirmed that the Twitter account being quoted is actually an official communications source by HP? Referring to paying customers as "my babies" isn't language that you would expect to see in an official corporate communication from a business the size of HP, which leaves me wondering if BrynaAtHP is either a joke by an iPad owner or else an HP phone operator who has little official news beyond what we already know?????
    Yeah, while unsaid, it's kind of a running joke. After reading your post it came to me as to what's going on at HP. Sometime in January of this year, HP was taken over by a bunch of clowns. At this point, it's the only "reasonable" explanation.

    Leaves a business it's a top player in, buys a company for 1.2 billion dollars, goes through the R&D to develop brand new products for bought company's OS, then produces products only to end production shortly thereafter to take a 100,000 million dollar loss saying it's going to focus on enterprise and software, then has a fire sale of discontinued products just to demonstrate how poor it's enterprise hardware and software is.

    I'm telling you, there was a clown takeover.
    Ordered 16GB TouchPad on 8/21/11@1135, HPO#30563xxx, WO#4408xxx
    fwinst and CDINCA like this.
  18. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #1478  
    Quote Originally Posted by raraku View Post
    Yeah, while unsaid, it's kind of a running joke. After reading your post it came to me as to what's going on at HP. Sometime in January of this year, HP was taken over by a bunch of clowns. At this point, it's the only "reasonable" explanation.

    Leaves a business it's a top player in, buys a company for 1.2 billion dollars, goes through the R&D to develop brand new products for bought company's OS, then produces products only to end production shortly thereafter to take a 100,000 million dollar loss saying it's going to focus on enterprise and software, then has a fire sale of discontinued products just to demonstrate how poor it's enterprise hardware and software is.

    I'm telling you, there was a clown takeover.
    LOL. It must be great to watch Leo and his entire executive staff arrive in one tiny car. Squirting flowers, bucket full of confetti to throw on the cubicle workers. Heh, what a great visual.
    Yes I Did, raraku and qrious like this.
  19. #1479  
    Quote Originally Posted by fwinst View Post
    I decided to try this for S & G's. It's always fun to try new apps. When I put in the info (cut & paste) that you have on your post, my status page is stuck on "Refreshing Monitor Status...". When you put in your HP order #, are you typing 030512345, or 30512345? Any other suggestions?
    I put the HP order number as 30512345. Just replaced the XXXXXXX with the 30512345.
    And ofcourse, when I pasted the url, I had to put double quotes in this forum, you only want to copy paste the url WITHOUT the double quotes. Try restarting the phone too. Its a generic monitoring app, so I had to play around little bit.
  20. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    844 Global Posts
    #1480  
    Quote Originally Posted by javacocoon View Post
    I put the HP order number as 30512345. Just replaced the XXXXXXX with the 30512345.
    Tried that, not working. :-/

    EDIT: got it. Thanks
    Last edited by fwinst; 09/03/2011 at 05:08 PM.

Posting Permissions