Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
    • internet browsing while going to sleep or at school when my classes suddenly cancel
    • videos/movies - i watch korean variety shows weekly & religiously so this will be VERY handy.
    • games - not much of a game player, but once in a while i'll play something
    • email
    • skype - my dad's working in another country so this will be my go-to app.
    • travel - hello?! this plays movies & has wifi!

i have an itouch and i'll admit that I don't play games or use the apps very much. i've wanted the ipad when it came out, but i tried my brother's for half a day and i realized that i don't want to spend $$$ on it. For $99 freaking dollars, this is beyond hell of a steal and a bargain so this is why I snatched one up. Can't wait until it gets here!
    MercuryCrest likes this.
    Got one ordered in the fire sale, can't wait for it to arrive.

Using it for:

Mainly internet browsing and email.
    Be great for watching movies when travelling.
    Also the free box.net 50gb account is worth the $99!
    Giving both of them to my parents, hopefully can get Android on them first.
    Quote Originally Posted by neller2000 View Post
    Giving both of them to my parents, hopefully can get Android on them first.
    This makes me sad and angry. webOS deserves so much better than this.
  5.    #45  
    Excellent suggestions and ideas - I know this is helping everyone out...

* Does anyone know if teamviewer standalone client (for remote desktop) can be used? Or will I have to log in via web access only?

* I have a software that needs JRE (java runtime environment) to be installed (I see windows / mac versions) - and the file I need to launch and load is a .JNLP file.

Otherwise, I need to figure out the way to get a good RDP application like teamviewer (which worked great on other machines like android phones / windows pc's;laptops) to do this.
    Quote Originally Posted by amlodipine View Post
    Excellent suggestions and ideas - I know this is helping everyone out...

* Does anyone know if teamviewer standalone client (for remote desktop) can be used? Or will I have to log in via web access only?

* I have a software that needs JRE (java runtime environment) to be installed (I see windows / mac versions) - and the file I need to launch and load is a .JNLP file.

Otherwise, I need to figure out the way to get a good RDP application like teamviewer (which worked great on other machines like android phones / windows pc's;laptops) to do this.
    there is a mobile teamviewer webpage that works.

https://wa103.teamviewer.com/p/
    I'm waiting for Android.
    digital picture frame.
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaimepar View Post
    there is a mobile teamviewer webpage that works.

https://wa103.teamviewer.com/p/

Great thanks for that link - and now if anyone can confirm about getting JRE (Java runtime environment) to access .JNLP files that would be sweet to know.
    i was lucky enough to order a 32gb version off Amazon sunday nite after unsuccesfully trying to get one from HP from sat evening to Sun 2 AM. (what a frustrating exercise in futility that was!)

my primary interest in getting a TP is i'm a gadget geek and am curious to try webOS. if i can get the TP to work with my corporate VPN and can find a viable RDP app for this, then I can use this as a backup support device for when i'm on-call. otherwise, most of the time, i'll be using the tablet primarily as a movie player for at-home use, maybe some light internet browsing, internet radio maybe also.
    got 3 this weekend. 2 for my kids and 1 for myself:

Khan Academy
    ereader - no Nook app?
    skyping
    email browsing
    Honestly? I have no idea Speaking as someone with an iPad and two Android tablets already! At this money it was impossible not to pick one up as a curiosity. My main use case for tablets is slobbing around on the sofa dipping into the interwebs and watching videos on. Have recently promoted the iPad to my primary device after relegating the Galaxy Tab (screen too small, I used to convince myself it was worth the extra portability) and after a brief sojourn with a 150 quid 10" Android cheapy. If the Touchpad ends up doing better at this, then it'll become my primary, if not, for the money it'll give me entertainment as a device to tinker and play with. All good fun either way.
    1. Put Android or Ubuntu On it.
    2. Use it at the brains of a hobby rocket.
  14.    #54  
    Thanks for the continued ideas and suggestions - I am really looking forward to trying out webos more with some of these points... feel free to share if you'd like.
    pr0n?

Just kidding. Mainly internet surfing, reading forums, etc, particularly before sleep. I can't remember how many times I've dropped my laptop because I fell asleep while net surfing. That sure gets the adrenalin going. Good thing the floor's carpeted.

Hmm, maybe an XBMC remote, too?
    got it for my wife to use for grad school, and for our kids on long road trips
    let's see..
    basically replacing my phone and my laptop while I am at home

emails
    webs
    instant messaging
    music

and webOS works just great on those activities.
    My original intentions were for my wife to have an ereader and myself to have a tablet to share photos and play around with. We've been playing with it and my wife thinks that she'll still get her own eReader but this will be a good start!
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Hello all, first post, looks like a friendly kind of place

I picked my 32Gb model up in the fire sale on a whim and have been pleasantly surprised by it. I have an old laptop and a newish desktop so I thought it would fit in the middle somewhere as a mobile browser/news reader/email/eReader kind of deal.

Handy for my 6yo daughter too who I wouldn't want to trust with a more expensive device.

I have an iPod Touch which I like and have a fair number of apps (mostly time-wasters) so the lack of them (relatively) on here really doesn't bother me. It would be nice to have some audio stuff on there so I can control my various music tech as I can see it being useful as a MIDI controller (the iTouch apps are good for this but the thing is just so small ...) ... maybe in the future ...

Coming from the iOS universe and being a bit of a techie (20 years of software development) it was nice to install the Preware, update with performance patches and give the overclocking a go with minimal fuss ... Nice.

The browser seems very functional and mobile browsing of Flash-heavy sites is a welcome luxury

I converted some video today and the playback was good so that is going to be useful, the PDFs I have seem to render really nicely and it's making my recent Kindle purchase look a bit silly.

Android? Maybe in the future, dunno. It would be nice to see how far the WebOS can be pushed first.

I may even have to get my coding skills out and have a hack myself, I feel inspired.

$150? Bargain.
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    At first I was going to port android on here once that was available but after using webOS for a few days with my touchpad I don't think I want to anymore I love webOS now.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast