Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes
  1.    #21  
    Nice ideas and uses - keep em' coming

I was planning on using this for web browsing and flash video content and playback of some digital video media if possible... definitely as an e-reader (will need to check on what the scoop is on amazon kindle products and the WebOS). Using it in the kitchen while looking up recipes on websites or on youtube. I think the dock would be a nice add on.

Similar to many here... but it's always cool to see something unknown or overlooked.

So typing on the touchpad to forums isn't that good? Someone mentioned that this website (precentral) doesn't load too well?

It is a bummer re: no silverlight/netflix support but that was known from the beginning - unless who knows? I wonder if a dual boot OS option is a possibility later on with WebOS and maybe honeycomb later...
    I evaluated the Touchpad from a straight cost/benefit view, considering that WebOS is probably dead, and how I use my Pre Plus currently. I am a heavy browser user for news and some email and the Touchpad as it is now will work fine. My wife wants to use the eReader. A Kindle would run about $130. So for the functionality currently in the Touchpad, $100 - $150 is a good deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drachen808 View Post
    what is wrong with pandora on the TP
    If you have more than like 7 stations you can't scroll to the rest of them (The screen just moves around). Seems as though the scroll bar on the channel list isn't clickable.
    Quote Originally Posted by sixfootsix View Post
    If you have more than like 7 stations you can't scroll to the rest of them (The screen just moves around). Seems as though the scroll bar on the channel list isn't clickable.
    Try double tapping on the player to bring it into focus. You should then be able to scroll up and down as much as you need. Please let me know if that works as I don't have that many stations on Pandora.
    Try to turn it into one cool Fridge Magnet or Kitchen Internet screen.

http://www.androidcentral.com/barnes...or-magnet-ever
    sorli likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by artitumis View Post
    Try double tapping on the player to bring it into focus. You should then be able to scroll up and down as much as you need. Please let me know if that works as I don't have that many stations on Pandora.
    Haha you win. Guess I just needed to reboot and reload. I swear though, I couldn't scroll though the channels before!
    ebaying it for a 75-100 dollar profit.
    To use as a backup for my IPad1, getting bored with the iOS lately.
    Hopefully all the flash video i cant get on my ipad2 which the tp doesnt come close to otherwise.
  10.    #30  
    Does anyone know how e-books purchased from amazon or barnes & noble work on webOS?

Also - anyone know if Teamviewer or how any remote desktop application work on this? (i.e. connecting to a windows PC) - There was an application that I wanted to use that requires JRE Client software installed...

I've been able to use kindle formats for PC Windows - but I had to install a program for that and then could I view them.

The magnet idea looks awesome I take it that the magnets won't affect data loss?
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    why would anyone want to replace webOS with android on the touchpad?
    I can see doing it if I had no other choice and had to have Android running on a 10" dual-core super tablet. Last I checked, the Galaxy Tab 10 isn't selling for $100 and I wouldn't pay what they are asking for those units native.

I love my TouchPad and getting an extra unit just makes since for my wife and I. Personally, I use it all the time and the spare unit will go to my wife who works-out on the porch and could use access to NAS to watch movies, catch-up on TV reruns, or otherwise. How can we go wrong??? Sorli...
    surfing adult content ofcourse.
    TravisAntonio likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    why would anyone want to replace webOS with android on the touchpad?
    Most people respect webOS as do I, but as an android user from day 1 the app selection on this thing sux. I know its only been out a couple of months but several basic apps/functions are missing from webOS in general. The saving grace is that the web browser is very good. I will also say that a lot the specifically TP developed apps that are available are very good, even better than android tablet apps in some cases.

This thing would have been a beast with more developers and of course HP not flaking out on it.

Just too clear up one thing I did have a palm III, visor, palm m130, treo180, treo 680, centro, and pre. Palm is where smart phones started and it's sad to see it go out like this.

At least I can smile at the price of my $150 32gb TP.

P.S. the PreCentral community is the best by far.
    andresmmm, JonVon and TheSpike like this.
    I plan on using it primarily for reading books and comics.

Probably some light web browsing as well.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I plan on using mine for lit web surfing,email,facebook and Twitter. I wish there was a nook app. My daughter love Skype on it .
    android tablet.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    I run my own business photographing and videographing weddings, making slideshows, and advertising, and I can happily say that the TouchPad has far exceeded my expectations and I use it daily. Here is a list of everything I use it for that I can think of off the top of my head...

For My Business:

-Keeping on Track (I had my first wedding shooting video since I got my TouchPad last weekend, and I have to say it improved everything by keeping me more organized. No more fumbling through papers or loosing place, just pull up the document containing the scheduled events with times, when they're supposed to happen and notes about what shots the customer wants, and just scroll down as the event passes. It's so much easier just being on one screen, and I save so much paper and ink!!!)
    -Scheduling (With webOS's advanced calendar, I can keep track of my scheduled meetings or when I have available to do photos or video for weddings. The best part is that you can hide certain categories so you only see the ones you need to see.)
    -Completing Forms (I save the forms I need my customers to fill out as an enlarged .jpeg to open up in the Just Draw app, and when I sit down with a customer, I can let them check the items they want to add and write little notes.)
    -Quick Access to Important Documents. (I can pull up document's regarding pricing, availability, scheduling, or available features.)
    -Grabbing Potential Customers Attention (Being able to quickly show a potential customer the quality of my work by pulling a demo reel or design rendering in the Photos/Videos app better helps them to decide whether or not to use my services.)
    -Expanding From Previous Item: Being able to show a customer the progress on their product on the big 9.5 inch screen has certainly made life easier for me. (No more burning DVD's just to show video they might want changes to. Save's me DVD's! No more printing off a graphic or image just to find out they don't like one part of it and want me to reprint it. Saves paper and ink!)
    -Wireless Printing (When it comes time to print off a form for the customer to fill out fully, I just pull the document up and print it. It's so handy!)

For Normal Day to Day Usage:

-Web surfing (works almost flawlessly on the TP, compared to other tablets)
    -Alarm Clock (gotta wake up, and the power of BEATS audio with the Pirates of the Caribbean theme or TRON theme certainly helps make a happy morning!)
    -Music player (The standard app and the TuneIn Radio app for live radio)
    -Watching movies (loaded on the TP by me)
    -I'll have heavy usage of box.net's 50gb of free storage for TP owners
    -Email
    -Facebook
    -Playing games
    (Solitaire or Crosswords before bed or when I have some free time)
    -Reading Time Magazine (after trying the 4 week trial, I'm hooked, and started reading the magazine for the first time in years)
    -Precentral App (gotta keep up on my webOS news)
    -Weather Dashboard HD (provides quick updates to the weather in the notifications bar)

-And finally, the Kindle app (there are always so many free books on Amazon's site that change very often, I just went through and added any that I could find that I had an interest in. I'm finally getting back into reading actual books! Well, you know what I mean!)

So... I'd have to say that in the almost 2 months I've had my TouchPad, I don't regret buying it one bit, and I can't wait to see what the future has for it (as long as HP stays true to their statement to "continue to support, innovate and develop the webOS App Catalog" and hopefully further OS updates to the TouchPad. We'll see... this is HP we're talking about.)

My Palm History- Palm Pilot 5000> Palm V> m105> m130> Zire 71> Sony Clie TH55> TX> Centro> Pre Plus> Pixi Plus> Pre 2
    WebOS Migrant likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by amlodipine View Post
    Does anyone know how e-books purchased from amazon or barnes & noble work on webOS?
    ebooks from Amazon load directly into the Kindle app once you sign in and download the ones you want. As for Barnes & Noble books, they aren't compatible since they use a different format, but a quick search on google will tell you how you can convert them to work on the Kindle app. I haven't tried it myself yet, but I'm sure it works fine.

My Palm History- Palm Pilot 5000> Palm V> m105> m130> Zire 71> Sony Clie TH55> TX> Centro> Pre Plus> Pixi Plus> Pre 2
    Initially:

- e-reader. Reading PDFs and other books on an iPhone gets old after awhile
    - websurfing, specifically forum posting
    - streaming media. Hulu should be interesting on this.
    - media player. I understand there are a couple of media players that can handle multiple container formats and codecs, which will be useful.
    When Resting/Working

-Browse.
    -Music.
    -Email.
    -Skype.
    -Chat.
    -Movies.
    -Windows XP + WiFi + BT Keyboard = My laptop killer
    -Ubuntu + Gnome + BT Keyboard = Also My Laptop Killer

When Working at Trakyng Games

-Send mails.
    -Annotations.
    -Payments.
    -Develop Games.
    -Edit Documents.

----------------------------------------

I haven't buy it yet, but I hope I buy it tomorrow at noon I mean today because is already 2.48AM lol, but my plan for the Touchpad is really to Develop Games and App of Trakyng Games on it. Also to make Homebrews with the T.A. Projects (I lead it).

Please wish me luck tomorrow .
    -Travis Antonio
    Trakyng Games

Devices:
    -Motorola Atrix 4G (1.5 Ghz) (CM7 Neutrino) (Tegra Hack H^LLA POWERFUL)
    -Palm Pre Plus *DEAD*
    -Palm Pre Plus (Mom).

Never forget to say Thanks, God bless you all.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast