Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By rubenfan
  • 1 Post By Kujila
  • 1 Post By Maestro1
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By Maestro1
  1.    #1  
    1) sell a webos tablet in 2011 (checked)
    2) be number 2 tablet in 2011 (checked - with the firesale)
    3) get webos to people's hand (checked - see above)
    4) continue to grow webos platform (checked)
    5) continue to grow their appcatalog(checked. with a surge of new users, I don't see why developers don't want to get on board)

They delivar their promise 100%!!! How can you get mad at them ?
    This is a win win for everybody.
    1) cheap tablet for everyone
    2) hp too... sure they take a lose on the hardware but it is just a write off for them and at the same time, they grows their userbase.

I don't see any negative about this move.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Derp, let's randomly drop the price to $99 so stupid consumers will mass stores and go buy it so people who genuinely yearn for a TouchPad are left out.

Didn't "DELIVAR"

Also they murdered Palm, and then murdered everything Palm worked for all these years.
    dong1225 likes this.
    was one of their promises to kill off a great mobile OS?
    dong1225 likes this.
    they didn't promise NOT to destroy the webOS brand, so that's a bonus.

they promised a summer release, but they didn't mention that it would be a release of smelly bovine methane...
    Trekker likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    Derp, let's randomly drop the price to $99 so stupid consumers will mass stores and go buy it so people who genuinely yearn for a TouchPad are left out.

Didn't "DELIVAR"

Also they murdered Palm, and then murdered everything Palm worked for all these years.
    yup for everyone else its a $99 mobile webbrowser, readers, videochat, angrybirds device. HP should of did a 48 hr presale to all current palm profiles
    phillyeagles36 likes this.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    was one of their promises to kill off a great mobile OS?
    Didn't you hear?

HP SVP Worldwide Developer Relations Richard Kerris took to the HP webOS Developer Blog to address the developer community:

We have opened the next chapter for webOS, and we understand that you must have many questions. Yesterday we announced that we will focus on the future of webOS as a software platform but we will no longer be producing webOS devices. While this was a difficult decision, itís one that will strengthen our ability to focus on further innovating with webOS as we forge our path forward. Throughout this journey, our developers will continue to be a vital part of the future of webOS.

We will continue to support, innovate and develop the webOS App Catalog. Our intent is to enhance our merchandising and presentation of your great products and to continue to build our webOS app ecosystem.

As many of you are aware, we are currently scheduled to hold many developer events around the world. We are planning to continue with these events, however, due to the recent announcements; the nature of them will change. These updates will be posted on our events registration site this coming week. We are eager to present to you the updated strategy for webOS and to hear your feedback.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    @rubenfan keep up the positive thinking *thumbs up
    kujila, plz enlighten us where they lied exactly. Thanks
    Kujila, you can derp all you want. I was in Best Buy this morning. They are completely sold out. They are sold out everywhere. I was actually standing in a line to get a Touchpad. While I will admit that HP made some dumb moves in the past, this was pure brillance! Someone said they lost 100 million dollars on this but I think it is worth it. I would order 4 more batches of them and continue to sell them at a loss. The total cost to HP up front will only be 1/2 billion but they would be a solid number 2. They actually outsold the iPad today. That was incredible. Plus day one adopters like me got our money back. I now have two touchpads, cases, touchstones, and a keyboard for how much I paid for one touchpad on day one.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan View Post

I still don't think they're number two. Number two is either the galaxy tab or nook.
    Ok, the Touchpad outsold the Ipad 2 for, what? Like 2 days? That's not brilliant. They obviously took a huge loss on manufacturing these things and I don't see how a bunch of people having them can help them break even, much less turn a profit off of these tablets. Ok, so they got WebOS in the hands of a few hundred thousand people. How are they going to make money off of that? They don't make phones or tablets anymore. Maybe they can make a few bucks licensing WebOS, but who's to say it will be anything more substantial than what it is now? They still have to compete with Android and iOS. Maybe you're thinking this is some incredibly genius business tactic to get their product in the hands of the masses. I think HP just screwed up royally and cut their losses. I mean, they sold a few hundred thousand TouchPads, Apple is selling MILLIONS of Ipads. And I'm also ****ed because I wasnt able to get one. I ordered one online from Best Buy only to have them tell me, that they're out of stock and and will have to cancel my order.
    posts should add value to the discussion. Posts that just declare that HP is evil add no value.

posts should not be made about moderator actions. Send a PM if you have a question.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...l-members.html

http://forums.precentral.net/announcement.php?a=48

<thread cleaned>
    As much as I dislike HP, their bumbling on this has made webOS strong than it was 1 week ago. The question is will they continue with the unsuspected momentum or will they pass up a great oppurtunity to sell apps and supplies to a larger user base? I was upset that the product was devalued until I got my money back for the change in price. I kept my Touchpad and got another one. My wife now has one and is very happy with it. She bought Wallpaper Switcharoo and Sparkle HD last night. She is going to buy Kalemsoft Media Player tonight after we get home. She has also downloaded a few free apps. If HP keeps the apps catalog open there will be more new customers like her.
    Quote Originally Posted by macbranson View Post
    Ok, the Touchpad outsold the Ipad 2 for, what? Like 2 days? That's not brilliant. They obviously took a huge loss on manufacturing these things and I don't see how a bunch of people having them can help them break even, much less turn a profit off of these tablets. Ok, so they got WebOS in the hands of a few hundred thousand people. How are they going to make money off of that? They don't make phones or tablets anymore. Maybe they can make a few bucks licensing WebOS, but who's to say it will be anything more substantial than what it is now? They still have to compete with Android and iOS. Maybe you're thinking this is some incredibly genius business tactic to get their product in the hands of the masses. I think HP just screwed up royally and cut their losses. I mean, they sold a few hundred thousand TouchPads, Apple is selling MILLIONS of Ipads. And I'm also ****ed because I wasnt able to get one. I ordered one online from Best Buy only to have them tell me, that they're out of stock and and will have to cancel my order.
    He said today. So yes for 2 dayys it outsold it.
    A few hundred thousand people?? Motorolla would be happy to have as many users as the touchpad has. They've only sold like 300.000. And this will continue until every touchpad is sold (which is speculated to be at around 700.000-1m. So yes with such a user base, hp can still have less loss from selling accessories at regular prices, from apps and of course if they were about to create a touchpad 2, from the sales of touchpad 2. But Leo wanted results in 6 weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by syang870 View Post
    Didn't you hear?

HP SVP Worldwide Developer Relations Richard Kerris took to the HP webOS Developer Blog to address the developer community:

We have opened the next chapter for webOS, and we understand that you must have many questions. Yesterday we announced that we will focus on the future of webOS as a software platform but we will no longer be producing webOS devices. While this was a difficult decision, itís one that will strengthen our ability to focus on further innovating with webOS as we forge our path forward. Throughout this journey, our developers will continue to be a vital part of the future of webOS.

We will continue to support, innovate and develop the webOS App Catalog. Our intent is to enhance our merchandising and presentation of your great products and to continue to build our webOS app ecosystem.

As many of you are aware, we are currently scheduled to hold many developer events around the world. We are planning to continue with these events, however, due to the recent announcements; the nature of them will change. These updates will be posted on our events registration site this coming week. We are eager to present to you the updated strategy for webOS and to hear your feedback.
    Have you not learned don't believe a damn word these stuffes suit corporate doubletalk snake oil hp salesman say. (just read his engadget interview) he nevers awnsers a single question straight forward. If hp really wanted to continue webos they would have announced a direction for it the same time they announced to end making devices, instead of saying an announcement is coming in the few weeks.

secondly HP already said it wants to get out of the consumer business, that is why they are planning on selling of their whole consumer division (PSG personal systems group) Webos unit is under this division, even if HP kept webos unit, it would be incorporated into their new comapany which is an enterprise only company. So yeah webos may stay and it may be developed under the new hp but it will be an enterprise application that probably won't have any benefits to consumers.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    this will continue until every touchpad is sold (which is speculated to be at around 700.000-1m.
    They must have made WAY more than just one million if Best Buy alone got more than a quarter million. There is no way in hell that ONE retailer in ONE country got more than a quarter of the entire worldwide production.

On the other hand: if they really only built one million TouchPads, there is no way in hell that popular story about the TouchPad being a disaster at Best Buy was legit. That is, the 25,000 units sold part could have been. The 275,000 units shipped part, alas, could not.

Also, the TouchPads we're talking about here are WiFi-only 16 and 32GB units. They also produced 64GB 4G units that are fresh (released in Europe when Best Buy were already allegedly trying to get HP to take the old SKUs back) and couldn't have factored into the "sent to Best Buy" figures.
    So keeping in mind that Best Buy could not have gotten a quarter of the global production of TouchPads, and the fact that whatever Best Buy did get didn't even include the new SKUs, I reckon that the real number of TouchPads built, inclusive of *all* SKUs and *all* countries, must be closer to 3 million, perhaps even higher.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 08/21/2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan View Post
    1) sell a webos tablet in 2011 (checked)
    2) be number 2 tablet in 2011 (checked - with the firesale)
    3) get webos to people's hand (checked - see above)
    4) continue to grow webos platform (checked)
    5) continue to grow their appcatalog(checked. with a surge of new users, I don't see why developers don't want to get on board)

They delivar their promise 100%!!! How can you get mad at them ?
    This is a win win for everybody.
    1) cheap tablet for everyone
    2) hp too... sure they take a lose on the hardware but it is just a write off for them and at the same time, they grows their userbase.

1 - true
    2 - for a couple of days, by the end of the year it wont even be a blip in the radar.
    3 - see above
    4 - webos will be pretty much dead in a year
    5 - this sudden influx of cheap-o's wont buy apps, and even then, you're looking at 1-2 million users. iPad eats that for a light lunch. Android is growing more and has a future, total honeycomb install base has to be over a million.

your second points -

1 - cheap tablet for 1-2 million, not everyone.
    2 - they lost a ton of money on the product, but lost even more in brand value. they're also pretty much out of the consumer business, so even considering that 1-2 million is a drop in the bucket, they still wouldn't care.
    LOL. Good one rubenfan. That's actually pretty darn funny.

I think I'll predict that on Monday HP's stock will jump 100%, not only restoring the 12 BILLION in market cap they lost on Friday, but also giving investors a hefty return should they want to sell their stock!
    Quote Originally Posted by ericblackdv View Post
    LOL. Good one rubenfan. That's actually pretty darn funny.

I think I'll predict that on Monday HP's stock will jump 100%, not only restoring the 12 BILLION in market cap they lost on Friday, but also giving investors a hefty return should they want to sell their stock!
    I really doubt it and pray against that.
    I want Leo to see that he made a big mistake and the investors to be burnt for supporting him Am I a bad person?