Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By elpollodiablo1
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    I managed to get one Touchpad with case & Touchstone dock yesterday. My friend (who works for rival tech company) suggests that I leave it all in the box and preserve it because in 20 years it will be a collector's item. Any thoughts?
    i'll buy it from you now and you can keep the box.

it has a battery in it. Not something you want to leave in storage.
    elpollodiablo1 likes this.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Destroy (While in the box) for a youtube video. Run it over with a car, etc
    your rival tech friend just doesn't want you to experience the awesomeness which is...... WebOS!
    ginasno1 likes this.
    lol
    It may be indeed be a collector's item, but this is not what I would consider investment-worthy. If you look at most technology that has become collectible, it has not appreciated so much as to make it worth trying to collect. Also it is very hard to predict what will become collectible. A lot of technology that has become collectible has done so because of a combination of nostalgia, rarity and a unique physical appearance. With so few Touchpads being made, nostalgia won't be a factor for but a few people, and it isn't exactly unique looking.

However, if webOS sticks around and becomes successful, who knows. 20 years from now, people might pay over $1000 for the first webOS tablet. Then again, it's probably more likely to join the much larger ranks of brilliant but obsolete technology (Amiga, etc.), and you might be able to sell it for $1 at a garage sale.
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Also I believe technology is more collectible if it's in working condition. No way to tell if it works without opening the box anyway, so...
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    I was thinking about that too (bought 5 firesale ones, not going on ebay)... but there were a few reasons I thought of as con:

1. Battery will maybe go bad, or leak out.
    2. They don't seem rare (reports of over 1 million made) unlike the old failed NES games that go for hundred thousands.
    3. Others may do the same (as you just proved to me).
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by abel_s View Post
    I was thinking about that too (bought 5 firesale ones, not going on ebay)... but there were a few reasons I thought of as con:

1. Battery will maybe go bad, or leak out.
    2. They don't seem rare (reports of over 1 million made) unlike the old failed NES games that go for hundred thousands.
    3. Others may do the same (as you just proved to me).
    Why didn't you buy 10 or 15 firesale ones? You should, I mean, why stop at five? Why not buy as many as you possibly can?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujila View Post
    Why didn't you buy 10 or 15 firesale ones? You should, I mean, why stop at five? Why not buy as many as you possibly can?
    I sense your sarcasm... I originally bought 2. 1 for me and one for wife. Then the next day (saturday) I tell my brother about it (mistake) and then he was upset why I didn't tell him. Then i get a text message from an old friend in Europe that he heard about the firesale and he wanted me to bring him one when I go back for school. So i spent 2 hours refreshing both firefox and IE till I got hp Small business to work.

and 1 is extra, which I may vacuum pack and keep... but really I may just sell it here for break even.

Satisfied?

Not everyone is a greedy thief.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I'm just jealous and angry, no offense to you personally abel_s. I'm sure I would have bought at least two given the opportunity, so I'm being a total hypocrite!

Ideally, HP would have given me fore-warning before dumping their entire TouchPad stock into the hands of sheep consumers. (aka, people that just were like 'ZOMG TABLET $100!' at the store)
    Ok no problem. Hopefully there will be someone kind enough to sell one of their extras here, I may have one extra if I decide to get rid of the collectible one.
    20 years from now u might get $1 for it . I'll give 100 bucks right now and u can keep the box to collect. Lol