Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    My article is based on testing lots of different things and reporting what works for me. I did not fabricate my article, as indicated on Twitter by webosinternals. This kind of attack is just unwarranted.

I apologize to webosinternals as their statement about fabrication was not in relation to my article. Sorry guys.
    Last edited by jkendrick; 08/22/2011 at 08:32 AM.
    James Kendrick
    Technology Blogger - ZDNet Mobile News
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
    James.....quick question for you as I am very new to messing with the "internals" of devices. I have had a Pre- since 6/6/09, so have been a long time user of webOS and really like it, but have always been fine with it as it is. Call me crazy. Anyway, if I did just the first step you recommended in your article, the turning the logging levels to minimal, do I have to do the other steps? Will I see some improvement with just Step 1? Sounds like some people are having issues with the patches from PreWare and I want nothing to do with that!
    PalmPilot, PalmIIIc, Treo 650, Pre, Pre 3, Nokia 1020, Lumia 950

"It's good to be the King" - Mel Brooks, History of the World, Part 1

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." General George S. Patton
    I'm not Rod and this has nothing to do with Rod.

Since James says this all sprung from his head, I leave you to see both links and decide for yourself.

* How to improve the performance of your new HP TouchPad | ZDNet
    * http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3027858
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by codecrumb View Post
    I'm not Rod and this has nothing to do with Rod.

Since James says this all sprung from his head, I leave you to see both links and decide for yourself.

* How to improve the performance of your new HP TouchPad | ZDNet
    * http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3027858
    I do not rip off other's work, as a journalist I respect it too much. You are way out of line here and I don't appreciate it. I respect your work, respect mine.
    James Kendrick
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clemgrad85 View Post
    James.....quick question for you as I am very new to messing with the "internals" of devices. I have had a Pre- since 6/6/09, so have been a long time user of webOS and really like it, but have always been fine with it as it is. Call me crazy. Anyway, if I did just the first step you recommended in your article, the turning the logging levels to minimal, do I have to do the other steps? Will I see some improvement with just Step 1? Sounds like some people are having issues with the patches from PreWare and I want nothing to do with that!
    Try just the minimal logging step and see for yourself. It does make a big difference.
    James Kendrick
    ZDNet/ CBS Interactive
    Quote Originally Posted by jkendrick View Post
    I do not rip off other's work, as a journalist I respect it too much. You are way out of line here and I don't appreciate it. I respect your work, respect mine.

Its obvious you put together a nicely written, detailed article - which is always nice to see. And an article on the TP is always welcome, especially a helpful one for the general public. But I guess the point is that unless you figured out how to do that on your own, a little hat tip at the end of the article mentioning the precentral.com community
    (or wherever you found it - which might be quite removed from the original post by now) would have been nice.
    Last edited by intron; 08/22/2011 at 09:18 AM.
    werkx likes this.
    Since I maintain the minimal logging patch, I'm not sure what your "work" pertains to. LOL.

EOM. My app.
    Dropped packet logging. My patch.

So your article references work mostly done by myself (as well as other webos-internals members & JayCanuck).

There would be nothing for your article if it weren't for the homebrew community which is why I asked that you properly credit things (at a minimum, given the hours we have all put into this). The inverse certainly is not true.

I'm starting to get the impression that ZDnet bloggers just want to be disagreeable. It's rather unfortunate.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    werkx likes this.
    thanx for the tips
    Got a slow HP TouchPad? Here are 3 easy ways to speed it up

here is another along the same lines. What is everyone's thought on the overclocking? Ive overclocked PC's before without issue, but you have to be careful of how much.

My two arrive tonight, cannot wait!
    Touchpad 16GB
    Touchpad 32GB
    I'm having serious issues using my Mac getting Novacom drivers to install. Will any of the tips here solve that issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by elwaylite View Post
    Got a slow HP TouchPad? Here are 3 easy ways to speed it up

here is another along the same lines. What is everyone's thought on the overclocking? Ive overclocked PC's before without issue, but you have to be careful of how much.

My two arrive tonight, cannot wait!
    all the Over clocking kernels on preware are tested for stability, pretty sure rod wont list something on preware that doesn't work to a certain standard now that being said of course he's not responsible should anything happen to ur TP. Personally i trust preware and the webosInternals group, this isn't android, there are pretty high quality standards on homebrew and its from a unified group of people no competing factions so its not about who gets these things out the quickest, its about who gets it done well. This is not to say there dont exist any buggy patches.......but those are very few and far between. Preware is as safe as ur gonna get with any kind of homebrew on any platform i think thats why both palm and hp originaly supported it, they have strict rules within their organization on copyright infringement, and software stabilities. But like i said its obviously a personal decision there's risk involved in anything u do but i've been prewaring for a few years now with my phones and never had an issue and if there ever was it was very rapidly addressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbf1138 View Post
    I'm having serious issues using my Mac getting Novacom drivers to install. Will any of the tips here solve that issue?
    update ur java, other half uses a mac we spent like 3 hours wondering *** was wrong when he first got his preplus years ago until we figured out his javascript wasn't up to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by sepherous View Post
    update ur java, other half uses a mac we spent like 3 hours wondering *** was wrong when he first got his preplus years ago until we figured out his javascript wasn't up to date.
    You mean Java
    Quote Originally Posted by jkendrick View Post
    Wow, that was an incredibly defensive comment.

James, there's no reason to be rude here. Pretty clearly as a touchpad user, you came across much of this information directly from codecrumb and others here at the forum, just as -all- of us have.

The ##logs# trick has been around a long time if you previously owned a palm webOS phone - so you MAY have learned it from someone else, but it isn't something an average user just "figures out" on their own. Furthermore, you reference several of codecrumb's patches in your article, demonstrating that you -have- seen his work, and likely his exact post detailing these fixes. Put 2 and 2 together and you get 4.

He's asking for a shoutout to where you got your info. None of your information would be available without the people here (and especially codecrumb). Hell, as he's said, several of the patches you reference wouldn't even exist if it wasn't for his efforts. I don't think he was trying to question your integrity, I think he just wanted a little recognition.

But instead, codecrumb is clearly out of line and your journalistic integrity is too great to have written -anything- that didn't come from your own brain 100%. You're not standing on anyone's shoulders here, you're a giant among men. Since you're clearly a whiz at these things, can I get you to write a few new patches? There's a feature or two I'd like my touchpad to have and you are clearly a touchpad wizard.
    Quote Originally Posted by sepherous View Post
    I definitely have Java 6 SE enabled, so I don't know if that's the issue.
    Steps to set logging to minimal:

Open up the Phone & Video Calls App
    Type ##5647# and hit the green call button
    In the new window that pops up, click on “Change Logging Levels…”
    On the next screen hit “Set Logging To Minimal”
    Click OK to confirm on the “Are You Sure?” popup
    That’s it!

When I follow those steps a Skype thing comes up and no numbers, any idea how to help me out?
    Thanks to this, got all the logging turned off and Govnah installed. Question, is the overclocking going on with Govnah off (not a card), or does it need to be a card?

Loving this thing for what I use it for.
    Touchpad 16GB
    Touchpad 32GB
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    When I try ##LOGS## and hit dial, I get "Unable to connect. Cannot send voice data over paired phone or no phone is paired"

I have Skype set up as the default to use when making calls but not sure what my issue is here...
    Quote Originally Posted by llamabox View Post
    When I try ##LOGS## and hit dial, I get "Unable to connect. Cannot send voice data over paired phone or no phone is paired"

I have Skype set up as the default to use when making calls but not sure what my issue is here...
    Go to Settings > Device Info and pull down the menu in upper left corner. Tap Custom Application. On next screen, type ##logs# and the Collect logs screen will appear.
    iboost79 likes this.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Go to Settings > Device Info and pull down the menu in upper left corner. Tap Custom Application. On next screen, type ##logs# and the Collect logs screen will appear.
    you're a champion, a champion of freedom ;-) thanks.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12