Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Steph3n
  • 1 Post By MobileBill23
  1.    #1  
    There has to be a way or am i wrong to connect my new bargain tp to my hdtv. Does hp have an adaptor that works? Does a third party like minoprice? Its nuts not to be able to watch on an hdtv like i can with my ipad2 and its adaptor.
    Not possible using hardware. The USB port on the TouchPad only supports file transfers, nothing else, and don't expect that to change.
    Nope, one of the many hardware shortcomings of the TP that made it highly unattractive at 250+
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    turdsamich likes this.
    I dunno, maybe it's just me but I'm not buying a tablet (discounted or otherwise) to be a media server.

I'm more concerned with what I can access with my tablet, not what I can distribute from it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    I dunno, maybe it's just me but I'm not buying a tablet (discounted or otherwise) to be a media server.

I'm more concerned with what I can access with my tablet, not what I can distribute from it.
    Docking your phone or tablet to hdtv is quite incredible, even for web browsing

40"+ of in hand on screen glory.

plus from a business standpoint, it was a huge failure, one of the primary uses, PRESENTATIONS became a non starter. the hardware 'core' was good the additional options for it, are/were total lack of vision failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nychotxxx View Post
    There has to be a way or am i wrong to connect my new bargain tp to my hdtv. Does hp have an adaptor that works? Does a third party like minoprice? Its nuts not to be able to watch on an hdtv like i can with my ipad2 and its adaptor.
    This topic has been discussed many times in these forums. Please search before starting a new thread. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Steph3n View Post

plus from a business standpoint, it was a huge failure, one of the primary uses, PRESENTATIONS became a non starter. the hardware 'core' was good the additional options for it, are/were total lack of vision failure.
    I'll give you the business aspect, since HP was talking up enterprise. For the average user the TouchPad is just fine. Let's face it, it's tech-geeks that fret over hdmi out and expansion slots.

As for me, I'm not going to sit on my couch with a cable from my tablet to my tv (and, as mentioned, if I really wanted to, I'd use a wireless streaming option over my network to get from my tablet to the tv, but again, that's not something I've even thought about doing in the one-month-plus I've had my TouchPad). I sit on my couch using my tablet while watching tv. If I need my tv to surf the web, I'll fire up the Playstation. All new tvs come with webapps/browsing, so forgive me for yawning over no hdmi out on the TouchPad. I've found that while there's a cool factor associated with such things, that wears off after about a day and you're back to doing what the product was intended to do.
    bramr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    I'll give you the business aspect, since HP was talking up enterprise. For the average user the TouchPad is just fine. Let's face it, it's tech-geeks that fret over hdmi out and expansion slots.

As for me, I'm not going to sit on my couch with a cable from my tablet to my tv (and, as mentioned, if I really wanted to, I'd use a wireless streaming option over my network to get from my tablet to the tv, but again, that's not something I've even thought about doing in the one-month-plus I've had my TouchPad). I sit on my couch using my tablet while watching tv. If I need my tv to surf the web, I'll fire up the Playstation. All new tvs come with webapps/browsing, so forgive me for yawning over no hdmi out on the TouchPad. I've found that while there's a cool factor associated with such things, that wears off after about a day and you're back to doing what the product was intended to do.
    Just to use Android for example, the Google Movies, you can stream it on a phone/tablet, or on your big screen...seems a no brainer.

Now also on my android tablet it does DLNA for wireless media streaming, that works well. Touchpad missed the mark on all these, but still for the $250 or less prices it is a good deal.

Personally I use my tablet regularly while flying for word processing and spreadsheets, it is an incredible in flight use, as laptops just don't make sense in flight. the lack of quickoffice with edit/other office product makes the touchpad less usable for me there.
    Just to use Android for example, the Google Movies, you can stream it on a phone/tablet, or on your big screen...seems a no brainer.
    So, you use your Android tablet to serve media to your tv from Google Movies through via hdmi cable. Ok. Seems like a very limited segment of the market that would need a tablet for this function. That's not to say that it's not good/nice that you can do that but it does nothing to change my mind that it's a niche application.

Maybe I'm still old-fashioned, but I see a tablet like a tv, as an end-use device. A tablet gives me mobile browsing/content consumption. I'm not getting a tablet to use as a media server. I have a home media server to use for my media server - which means that if I want to stream a movie, it goes through my server. Absolutely no need for my tablet to get involved, unless my tablet is the end-use device.

Now also on my android tablet it does DLNA for wireless media streaming, that works well. Touchpad missed the mark on all these, but still for the $250 or less prices it is a good deal.

Personally I use my tablet regularly while flying for word processing and spreadsheets, it is an incredible in flight use, as laptops just don't make sense in flight. the lack of quickoffice with edit/other office product makes the touchpad less usable for me there.
    Tablets are perfect for travelling. Now I wish I was travelling often to take advantage of the TouchPad!

Lack of office editing hurts, that's for sure. I don't know how we got to this point, having been promised native webOS document editing for 3 years with still no delivery. This is a much more relevant complaint than the HDMI-out thing, since office users will vastly outnumber those who want to use HDMI out.

It's tough, I have to admit that with other tablets shipping with features that HP should have at least matched them. On the other hand, those features are really only relevant to a small portion of the overall market, and Android tablets need to match each other because they're running essentially the same operating system, so it's obvious that if an Android tablet were to ship without a feature that it would be at a distinct competitive disadvantage.
    most people are using these on the go, not to keep it as yet another home gadget. A modded ps3 covers that for me.
    Has anyone tried this cable? I am thinking of buying one. Not sure if it is going to work though! For HP TouchPad High Speed Premium HDMI MICRO USB to HDMI LCD 6ft Adapter Cable High-Definition Multimedia Cord - 6974
    I found a few on eBay too which claims "Mini HDMI to HDMI for HP TouchPad" which does not make any sense. HPTP does not have any Mini HDMI port !!
    6 FT Mini-HDMI to HDMI A to C Cable For HP touch Pad | eBay
  12.    #12  

Totally!