Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  • 1 Post By neville1355
  • 3 Post By LCGuy
  • 1 Post By nyuepik
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  1.    #1  
    Ok, I was all ready to give up on WebOS, but I had to get in on the $99 crazy deal!

I was curious how app developers have been doing since the firesale? Given the much larger user base, I would expect it to be much more enticing to create some decent apps, since there's probably a real big need for them.

Any interesting spikes?
    it would have been better for the devs if the app store didnt mix phone apps with touchpad apps.
    dabombcra likes this.
  3.    #3  
    I downloaded the SDK today. With hundreds of thousands of new Touchpad owners, perhaps there is a need for another fart app? (half kidding).

I would think that this should renew some interest in developing some decent apps, but we'll see!
    yes, what's shaking , a FREE earthquake real-time information app, spiked from it's usual 20 or so unique downloads to 60 and yesterday 159 uniques!

techtray lite, a FREE Rss reader, went from it's usual 8-10 downloads, to 29 yesterday!

yes, this is very good! (um, cough cough, new TP people look a the sig line below)
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I thought the same but the touchpad apps say for touchpad and there don't seem to be much of anything.
    it was only launched < 2months ago and the bulk of apps that were comign in were from bedroom programmers, HP didnt make any at all in the time they were waiting for launch, this si why people were screaming for at least core apps that could hold peoples interest until the other apps came in after time.

Time which we never aquired due to the sudden axe coming down after just over a months wait, and now we have less developers due to the news.
    App store dl and purchase numbers are pretty buggy. Will take a few days to know for sure, but AudiophileHD (lite version) saw about 1000 new users in the past two days.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I thought the same but the touchpad apps say for touchpad and there don't seem to be much of anything.
    not many know that or want to keep typing that, and every time you go "Back" after said search, it gets annoying havign the virtual keyboard pop up endlessly, it should have beena filterable option from the start.

Again lessons from ipad/android, they got massive tablet apps before us and its no secret that the apps stores are a god damned mess.
    over 1500 extra downloads overnight
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    bevcraw likes this.
    So will this uptick in app downloads increase the likelihood of seeing Fruit Ninja for webOS?
    Semprini:

No :-)
    This thread is VERY relevant...

Moderators, could you please make this a sticky so that developers can chime in, and maybe even the WebOS staff HP sees this, too?
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

sepherous, Soorma and falconrap like this.
    LCGuy:

The problem with this thread is that we all expect a spike for the next few days. It is meaningless for our decisions on whether to continue or not. The real question is if the spike continues two weeks from now. So please do not make this sticky. If you want something sticky, make the thread on how to spend the $50 credit sticky in the apps category.
    stri8ed likes this.
    the devs best bet is multiplatform compiler suites, allowing them a bigger userbase from android/ipad while giving indirect app support to webOS.

then it wont be a case of ipad/touchpad/droid, theyd just compile for each automatically, seen a fair few packages cropping up like that of late.
    nyuepik likes this.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    I blew away my $50 rebate on apps before I shipped mine back. I hope others did too.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Yes. I am seeing more downloads today than I got on the day I released the app. I should note it is a free app.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    the devs best bet is multiplatform compiler suites, allowing them a bigger userbase from android/ipad while giving indirect app support to webOS.

then it wont be a case of ipad/touchpad/droid, theyd just compile for each automatically, seen a fair few packages cropping up like that of late.
    If HP open sources "enyo" than it will effectively become multiplatform apps. Since the apps are already web apps and can run 95% in google chrome.
    Quote Originally Posted by semprini View Post
    So will this uptick in app downloads increase the likelihood of seeing Fruit Ninja for webOS?
    And Netflix!
    Quote Originally Posted by stri8ed View Post
    If HP open sources "enyo" than it will effectively become multiplatform apps. Since the apps are already web apps and can run 95% in google chrome.
    seen 2-3 sites claiming multiplatform compiling including webOS, Tiggr - Interactive Web and mobile HTML prototypes to name 1 (in beta tho), forgot where i bm'd the other 2.
    maybe scrabble or wordfeud will now come out with a webos version.
    since words with friends dont need need us.
    seriously one of those 2 need to build up their numbers since they are being creamed by wwf.
    agreed

>i730>i850>i870>i880>ic902>instinct>pre>HTC Arrive