Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just picked up at 32GB TP from staples for $150. I already posted it on ebay today. However there are two things that make me almost ... almost want to keep this thing. 1) I plan on purchasing a Windows 8 tablet when Asus transformer 2 rolls around. But then I got to thinking why pay $400 or more for a tablet that is similar when I already have one for a 1/4th the price. 2) I'm a sprint pre user so I've had my pre since launch. I'm already used to synergy and Just Type. I know all my info would sync easily.

I really need a new phone. I wanted to have the phone/tablet combo friendship but since I'm on sprint that's not going to happen. I'll wait to see where I'm at tomorrow on whether or not i cancel the listing.

Oh one more thing. The demo unit at staples really sold me while I was waiting for the manager to get a TP from the back. It had an help error message but after i swiped it off the screen I was rolling. During that brief time it was faster and snappier than all the best buy demos i saw the past couple of weeks

UPDATE: I'm keeping my TP. Disgruntled Pre- owner somewhat satisfied.
    Last edited by Dvigilante1; 08/21/2011 at 03:34 PM.
    Love mine. And love the new price tag.
    I paid $549 CDN for mine, missed out on the fire sale. Sell me yours? Although I'd keep it if I were you.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Love mine. And love the new price tag.
    Ditto here. I'd have kept it still even if I wasn't able to get my money returned for the price difference.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    I mean...it's $150. If you don't already have another tablet, I just can't imagine you won't be able to get $150 worth of value out of the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I paid $549 CDN for mine, missed out on the fire sale. Sell me yours? Although I'd keep it if I were you.

Where'd you get it?
    I say keep it. It'll be awhile before the Transformer 2 comes out.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Even if you dedicated it to one task like streaming radio online, music or videos from your library, non stop, it would be worth keeping.
    Assus Transformer two is supposed to early next year and running android. I'd say keep the touchpad.
    I mean, hell, I paid $99 for it to use it as a picture frame.
    It works, surfs the net, runs flash, seems to have pretty killer battery life, looks nice, and with a bit of tweaking runs amazingly well.

And of course if you have a phone to go with it, well, it's all the nicer.

What more do you really want in a tablet? I suppose better document editing options would be nice, but I typed up a few notes in google docs with no issues today and feel -fine- with that compromise (since I'll be using this for note taking etc around wifi networks, and have my pre- freetether ready to go if worse truly came to worse). The app ecosystem is small but mostly covers the main bases, and the net/flash covers any gaping holes. Not going to say it's perfect by any measure but I'm really enjoying it and there's no tablet out there that's going to give you a remarkably better experience (especially in terms of the OS and multitasking).

I feel like the touchpad is just a few patches away from near-perfection, and now that our userbase is soooooo much larger, I think things are really going to pick up around here. Exciting times!

No matter what happens, you can't beat the combination of features and price. You'll regret letting it go.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I mean, hell, I paid $99 for it to use it as a picture frame.
    I actually tried to get my hands on a second touchpad (99$) specifically for this! I was thinking it would look particularly good mounted to the wall as a digital picture frame/home bulletin board/light duty net tool.

Or hell, one in the kitchen as a recipe holder/light duty nettop.

Or one strapped to a car headrest as a rear-TV/gaming device for the little guy .

Makes a nice little computer for the bedside too, could just leave it set up as a bedside clock/alarm clock that could be used for some light duty net surfing or ebook reading when you're not feeling like hitting the hay just yet.

Could be fun to set up two of them as "video pictureframes" and hang them in different -houses- set up in a constant video chat. Not sure if it's possible with the current skype app, but it would be hilarious to have an always-on 2-way "portal" connecting two spaces.

The possibilities are endless - it's one hell of alot of hardware for 99$... That's cheap enough to screw around with it and not feel bad ;p.
    Keeeeep it! Managed to convert a bunch of people due to this new price :-D
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    I actually tried to get my hands on a second touchpad (99$) specifically for this! I was thinking it would look particularly good mounted to the wall as a digital picture frame/home bulletin board/light duty net tool.

Or hell, one in the kitchen as a recipe holder/light duty nettop.

Or one strapped to a car headrest as a rear-TV/gaming device for the little guy .

Makes a nice little computer for the bedside too, could just leave it set up as a bedside clock/alarm clock that could be used for some light duty net surfing or ebook reading when you're not feeling like hitting the hay just yet.

Could be fun to set up two of them as "video pictureframes" and hang them in different -houses- set up in a constant video chat. Not sure if it's possible with the current skype app, but it would be hilarious to have an always-on 2-way "portal" connecting two spaces.

The possibilities are endless - it's one hell of alot of hardware for 99$... That's cheap enough to screw around with it and not feel bad ;p.
    Yeah, I figure there are a lot of possibilities for it since I won't be using it as my primary tablet. If I can pick up a TouchStone on the cheap, I might steal your idea and use it as a bedside clock in Exhibition mode and keep the Mail and Calendar apps open just so I can have the world's coolest alarm clock.

I like the video picture frame idea. If it works, the TouchPad would be the world's coolest baby monitor too.

Really though, I've never been that high on webOS but paying $99 for a 1.2GHz dual core piece of kit with an IPS screen is just awesome and it makes me want to find ways to use it.
    @psychonaut Future Shop on launch day, 15 July. I'd be happy with store credit, don't necessarily need the money back per se.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    I've had my 32GB model for a while and I love it. Its not going anywhere. I'm still running with my Sprint Pre minus and freetether. I'll run with these two devices till they die! :-)
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    jsabo likes this.
  17.    #17  
    Thats all that it would be, media and internet. Hopefully google docs works well in the browser. Do you know if a file manager is built-in? On the pre- finding and attached files for email was a choir.
    internalz pro is avail as is gemini
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    Thats all that it would be, media and internet. Hopefully google docs works well in the browser. Do you know if a file manager is built-in? On the pre- finding and attached files for email was a choir.
    Built in? No, but I just grabbed JayCanuck's Internalz Pro and it works fine for attaching files to emails.
    Keep it, I paid full price for 16GB in the UK, with no hope of any refund, not even the $50 app fund you guys got, but I love it anyway.

More than my iPad and Android 3.x tablet I had, but it's your decision at the end of the day.

It is not a bad piece of kit IMO, and the screen is far better than my Xoom was by a long shot.

B
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast