Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
  1.    #1  
    I went and managed to get a refund of my initial touchpad price today and so have my touchpad for 150, extremely happy I did buy it when I did. But think about this.

Just noting, THIS IS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN

I went to 2 different Future Shops and 1 Bestbuy and WebOS was on everyone's lips EVERYONES. The employees were RAVING about it, there were none in stock anywhere but everyone I talked to was talking about what a great deal it was and how great webos was. Ontop of that as stated everyone is sold out. Its not just the webos faithful snapping these things up. HP and WebOS is dominating mindshare, sure its mostly negative but theres praise liberaly in there too for WebOS.

Now I want HP to come out tomorrow and say, "ummm, since we now have the mindshare and the actual devices we might reconsider....." This will not happen, but if it did it be the best marketing scheme ever. Sure everyone would still hate HP but the Touchpad is now easily the #2 tablet on the market, its on everyone's minds. HP will lose millions but its the same way the consoles business models work, sell your product at a loss and make it back through app sales and accessories.

They should have just called this a sale instead of a clearance, this would have gotten the devs on board as the devices would be out there now, dont even need the extreme low prices to get this to work as the staples sale proved, nock 200 off for a week and just BOOM thousands and tens of thousands of devices out there in the market. Just sad HP didnt have the balls to keep going.
    Proud Canadian owner of
    Palm Pre- WebOS 2.1 Sept 2009
    HP Touchpad WebOS 3.0 July 2011
    Palm Pre3 AT&T October 2011
    This marketing scheme might've worked if they kept their mouth shut about discontinuing devices, panicking both developers and HP shareholders at the same time. Not to mention dissing off all their customers.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Just wanna add that although the touchpad was on everyone's lips, so was the question about the device being able to port android.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    This marketing scheme might've worked if they kept their mouth shut about discontinuing devices, panicking both developers and HP shareholders at the same time. Not to mention dissing off all their customers.
    yup

they were CLOSE to pulling this off.....and then made some pretty stupid statements to screw it up.

Leo should be making 5 figures, not 7.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    Lets get this straight thou.. HP will not turn around and say "ok well, we changed our minds" - It simply will not happen. HP is out of the hardware development. If they changed their mind they would look even worse in everyone's eyes, and the board of directors would probably drop a few bombs on everyone in charge *that may not be a bad thing in the grand scheme of things the way they have been*

However, I am quite certain that there is in fact a motive at the end of the table here. No company in their right mind would turn around 24 hours after announcing one of the dumbest things in the industry and firesale device this quick, and at such a loss. No.

You would sell it at cost, for at least a little while, to try to recoup as much money as possible.. Look how much the staples sale caught on.. it was quite popular and they weren't losing too much money at that point.

So something is up. We just have to sit tight and enjoy the touchpads that people have snagged up.
    stores were getting annoyed at having so many of them taking up space. Once it was discontinued, they became much harder to sell. They needed to get rid of what they had quickly. That's the reason for the low price.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    hey now they're number 1+?
    Quote Originally Posted by dcbo89 View Post
    Now I want HP to come out tomorrow and say, "ummm, since we now have the mindshare and the actual devices we might reconsider....." This will not happen, but if it did it be the best marketing scheme ever. Sure everyone would still hate HP but the Touchpad is now easily the #2 tablet on the market, its on everyone's minds. HP will lose millions but its the same way the consoles business models work, sell your product at a loss and make it back through app sales and accessories.
    Easily the #2 tablet? You mean behind the iPad, iPad 2 and all the various Android tablets sold?

They're not going to make it back through app sales. Do you have any idea how many apps each and every person would have to purchase? Just because an app is 99 cents doesn't mean they pocket that. Developer cost, tax, premiums and blah, you're talking far more apps then you could even deem as useful.

Consoles sell with a loss, yes. Same kind of loss HP suffered with the Touchpad? Not even remotely close in a million years. Games sell for $60, big sellers make tons of cash, Sony takes a nice share more than likely. HP doesn't get a big share of those half baked 99 cent apps, sorry.

Please stop fooling yourself and being so delusional. I just grabbed 2 $99 Touchpads yesterday morning and while they're a lot better than I actually expected, they're no iPad 2.
    TechFan#WN and sinsin07 like this.
    Apps usually sell for $1-5. Same 3D games go for $10. And a few productivity apps might go as high as $20-30.

Let's say the average is $4. HP makes 30% of that - that's $1.20. Let's round this down to $1 and assume the 20 cents cover all the costs HP has with supporting servers etc...
    That's $1 for HP for an average app sale. Let's be generous and assume that the average user buys 10 apps per year - that's a grand total of $10 for HP.

Nope - doesn't work.

This is *not* part of a brilliant plan. The announcement that they get out of the consumer PC biz was likely a reaction to that information leaking (probably the real reason Best Buy management was angry a week ago).

And also let's remember that HP is not just dumping webos devices. They are getting rid of the *whole* consumer hardware business (except printers). They thought they can do a Lenovo and become the next IBM.

HP in 2005 - Let's be like Dell
    HP in 2010 - Let's be like Apple
    HP in 2011 - Let's be like IBM

HP in 2015 - Let's be in Chapter 11
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Quote Originally Posted by mdram View Post
    hey now they're number 1+?
    Yeah. For 1 day + Sunday lol

Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    On Monday, if HP doesn't do something or make some serious statements, such as "We found someone to take over production of the Touchpad and Pre 3(which would have sold well at this point with WebOS getting the attention it is)", the stock may continue to take a nosedive. The PC/Laptop business is the reason HP is so big and popular in the first place, the consumer space.

A reason BUSINESSES buy products is when the employees are familiar with the products, so no consumer space means less business/enterprise sales. This is something that some people seem to understand, and is a reason for HP stock going down 20 percent on Friday.

So, this "fire sale"....considering that consumer demand went through the roof as a result....if Leo gets fired and the replacement says "We are re-evaluating all of the recent decisions", that would not only allow for the stock to recover, but would also let HP resume WebOS device manufacturing(at least getting the Pre 3 out the door).

HP could also have offered financing options for those who want these devices but without the carriers offering them. I'd be happy to pay $50/month for a year to get a Pre 3 if it wasn't offered for a subsidized price by AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Lets get this straight thou.. HP will not turn around and say "ok well, we changed our minds" - It simply will not happen. HP is out of the hardware development. If they changed their mind they would look even worse in everyone's eyes, and the board of directors would probably drop a few bombs on everyone in charge *that may not be a bad thing in the grand scheme of things the way they have been*

However, I am quite certain that there is in fact a motive at the end of the table here. No company in their right mind would turn around 24 hours after announcing one of the dumbest things in the industry and firesale device this quick, and at such a loss. No.

You would sell it at cost, for at least a little while, to try to recoup as much money as possible.. Look how much the staples sale caught on.. it was quite popular and they weren't losing too much money at that point.

So something is up. We just have to sit tight and enjoy the touchpads that people have snagged up.

i would also like to suggest it is totally insane to announce the release of a white 64 gb touchpad, plus the 4 g touchpad, than inside of what 48 hours declare we are no longer going to make hardware...
    Predictions vary, but many feel HP stock prices are going to tank further on Monday, which, in a remotely sane corporate world, make Leo's job open for a replacement. To loose 20 plus percent of an investment, in one day is more than enough to replace any damn CEO..
    Polish up your Resume there Leo, because if it tanks, your going to need it.
    Life is short, Play hard, and enjoy every moment as if it was your last.
    I think it's the total opposite. The firesale is a real black eye to webos. Now everyone thinks its a crappy OS but hey it's worth $99. I've seen some of new folks to this forum saying its "horrible" or "unusable" but at least they like the bargain price. WebOS is now a joke so no I don't think it has been a great marketing scheme. If anything it might have accelerated the eventual end. For a brief time, there will be a lot of TP activity out there but it will subside quickly as people eventually move on to the iPad or some Android tablet or decide that they don't have much use for a tablet. Ebay will be flooded with these till people realize they just won't sell anymore.
    At these low prices, they will continue to sell and be used, but it does irk me that people are posting things like "not bad for a $99 picture frame and web browser"

Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I think it's the total opposite. The firesale is a real black eye to webos. Now everyone thinks its a crappy OS but hey it's worth $99. I've seen some of new folks to this forum saying its "horrible" or "unusable" but at least they like the bargain price. WebOS is now a joke so no I don't think it has been a great marketing scheme. If anything it might have accelerated the eventual end. For a brief time, there will be a lot of TP activity out there but it will subside quickly as people eventually move on to the iPad or some Android tablet or decide that they don't have much use for a tablet. Ebay will be flooded with these till people realize they just won't sell anymore.
    I haven't experience "everyone" having this feeling at all. On Ebay these will continue to sell for more than $99 for a long time as demand is vastly outstripping supply.
    HenryAlan likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland View Post
    I haven't experience "everyone" having this feeling at all. On Ebay these will continue to sell for more than $99 for a long time as demand is vastly outstripping supply.

Yeah I think they will sell for more than $99 on ebay for awhile but the demand of the product is from bargain hunters and not fans of the product. That means that once the firesale has concluded, the demand will drop drastically and ebay will be flooded with these and outstrip the demand.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    If I was a developer, even if I hadn't finished my app properly, I'd dump it into the app market - as the next four weeks should see a big surge in app sales before the decline sets in.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    If I was a developer, even if I hadn't finished my app properly, I'd dump it into the app market - as the next four weeks should see a big surge in app sales before the decline sets in.
    Excellent insight. Be like HP. Release it before being ready then try to fix it later.

Except that HP actually had more than enough time.

20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Hey, I didn't say it was a very moral thing to do ! and who said anything about "fixing it!>

But unless a hardware partner appears - once you factor out the cheap-skates, churn, returns and the like - the next four weeks or so are going to the last opportunity for anyone to make any sort of decent money*

* Also you can then go to Microsoft and get a free WP7.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast