Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    In 2 days, if Apple probably sold about 240,000 iPads. During that same time HP has probably sold 350,000 TouchPads.

Maybe it was a plan? Also hatched by Paul Miller on thisismynext.com podcast.

Apple numbers:
    http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Grabs...cle22485.htmn?

HP numbers:
    What does the glut of cheap HP TouchPads mean for Apple and Android tablet sales?
    sorli likes this.
    most plans dont involve ruining your companys good name and alienating your customers.
    How many Ipads have Apple or any other OEM sold all time compared to the sales of the Touchpad.
    And after this weekend is done, Apple will go on selling 100,000 iPads (or whatever the number is) a day at 500+ each.
    Quote Originally Posted by pangi View Post
    In 2 days, if Apple probably sold about 240,000 iPads. During that same time HP has probably sold 350,000 TouchPads.

Maybe it was a plan? Also hatched by Paul Miller on thisismynext.com podcast.

Apple numbers:
    http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Grabs...cle22485.htmn?

HP numbers:
    What does the glut of cheap HP TouchPads mean for Apple and Android tablet sales?
    Um, Apple sold 9 million iPads last quarter. Do those not count? In this case, I wonder who will sell more tablets next friday between 1:00 and 3:00 PM
    torifile likes this.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    most plans dont involve ruining your companys good name and alienating your customers.
    Small price to increase your install base.

Imagine how many people will buy accessories at full price, apps, and actually use the touchpad.
    Yeah But not only HP is taking a loss but they have to sale 4 Tp's yo match the proficts of 1 of any comparable tablet. Hardly something to clap about.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    I doubt those numbers are real. The entire Best Buy retail system only got 270,000 TouchPads, and that was definitely a focus of where HP was trying to sale them at. In fact, I've only ever seen one at Best Buy.

That said, this did help sales. And I think that HP got their whole "+1 tablet maker" thing worked out.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Ok, ok I was having a bit of a laugh. The reality (IMHO) is that saying HP dominated tablet sales is as dishonest as saying a tablet is a computer.

I personally don't know what I would do with a tablet if I had 1, but a 12" laptop is something that I am virtually always attached to

Although I must say that I am keen to have a TouchPad for $99
    Quote Originally Posted by nrguser View Post
    Small price to increase your install base.

Imagine how many people will buy accessories at full price, apps, and actually use the touchpad.
    what apps? esp now they have shot the app devs in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    Yeah But not only HP is taking a loss but they have to sale 4 Tp's yo match the proficts of 1 of any comparable tablet. Hardly something to clap about.
    There is no profit no matter how many sell, they are selling them at a loss...
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    what apps? esp now they have shot the app devs in the face.
    How did they shoot them in the face? Will the TPads self-destruct at some random point in the future?? I have an old archive server running WINDOWS 2000 ADV. SERVER that M$ stopped supporting *years* ago. Software still works exactly the same and it's meeting the same need now it did when M$ was supporting it.

HP actually HELPED devs by handing them 100's of thousands of new users
    ariker01 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I have an old archive server running WINDOWS 2000 ADV. SERVER that M$ stopped supporting *years* ago. Software still works exactly the same and it's meeting the same need now it did when M$ was supporting it.

Um, I guess you left out the fact that Microsoft replaced Windows 2000 ADV Server with NEWER VERSIONS and didn't completly kill off the product after 1.5 months on the market. Probably not the best analogy.
  14. AZ8
    Imagine the next iPad3 with a price of $99!!

HOLY SMOKES!! Can you even imagine!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Are you trolling? Seriously. They are going to increase the number of users in the very short term but they discontinued ALL of the hardware. How could any dev be pleased about this?
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo-filter View Post
    Are you trolling? Seriously. They are going to increase the number of users in the very short term but they discontinued ALL of the hardware. How could any dev be pleased about this?
    I actually agree. There will be lots of app purchases and the developers will see a beautiful major spike in app sales for ever short a time. Of all the crap that HP put us through this weekend, this and the fact that many who never would have gotten a tablet now have one, app sales get to benefit.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    Well, there has been a 2 million TouchPad's in total manufactured rumor out there. If they did make that many, and with 350,000 selling before Best Buy's inventory actually got liquidated, I wouldn't be surprised to see 1-2 million webOS tablet users by the end of the week.

The next week or two is going to be very interesting around here.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Um, I guess you left out the fact that Microsoft replaced Windows 2000 ADV Server with NEWER VERSIONS and didn't completly kill off the product after 1.5 months on the market. Probably not the best analogy.
    Again, missing the point. In your (all too common) haste to bash the platform, you missed the part where Win2K is working PERFECTLY as designed despite it being EOL'd many, MANY, years ago. M$ hasn't released a service patch or update in all that time and yet there has been no loss of function.

The POINT is that after the Pre+ was discontinued, the devices STILL WORKED THE SAME, still downloaded apps, and did all the things they did before they were discontinued. The TPad will continue to WORK THE SAME once they are all sold. Go read the "pre announcement" reviews on Amazon (you know where it was HIGHEST rated after a month. Everything they raved about the device is still true, will be true tomorrow, and still true a year from now.

...THAT is the point.
    "Again, missing the point. In your (all too common) haste to bash the platform, you missed the part where Win2K is working PERFECTLY as designed despite it being EOL'd many, MANY, years ago. M$ hasn't released a service patch or update in all that time and yet there has been no loss of function."

Of course the OS still works. Why would it stop working? That's not the problem for devs.

A few hundred thousand new users isn't much, really, and the hardware is getting discontinued, so there's no hope of adding more users after that.

Devs are already talking about putting new projects on hold because of this. It's not good.
    Some are continuing, others are putting development on hold.

http://www.precentral.net/round-tabl...ce-development

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast