Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree24Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    You hit on the core feature, "elegance". webOS has the most intuitive UI. It addictive.

I swipe on the TP forgetting that its not a Pre, and I sling the card on Pre forgetting its not TP .

Once you use it, you don't want to go back to other platforms.
    No. Webos does not have the most intuitive UI. Intuition would indicate a direct perception. Swiping cards to close apps is not intuitive. No other common mobile OS had this feature. The common mobile OS feature is icons, which everyone is familiar with. On the webos phones, the gesture area is not intuitive, no other popular mobile smartphone has this feature. Both of those are learned functions. Your second paragraph referencing swipe vs. sling makes that evident. It also makes it a non uniform experience between devices.
    **** I will buy some since the pad was dirt cheap
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    So a million will? Awesome!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    That's 50% of actual Touchpad buyers, not 50% of an imagined number of Touchpads Why not go all out and claim there were 10 million Touchpads manufactured? HP would've been stupid to manufacture more than a few hundred thousand ... but judging by the actions of the past few days, it wouldn't surprise me.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Well, if YOU developed a good application that didnt compete with 10 = 15 others, how does selling 500,000, or 1,000,000 copies sound to you?

If those 2,000,000 (I think that there will be more, but regardless) are all in need of apps, there's business to be done and money to be made, and a TON more appreciation/recognition to recieve.

Do you want to be a small fish in a big pond, or, a Big fish in a small pond...you decide!
    The pond makes no difference.

Take a look at the link Falconrap provided for IOS:
    The average iOS App Publisher Isn't Making Much Money.

Keep in mind the 2 billion dollars Apple announced paid out to developers was after 10 billion downloads.

Now with the considerably smaller population of Webos users, how much in dollars do you think this "recognition" is going to translate to?
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    No. Webos does not have the most intuitive UI. Intuition would indicate a direct perception. Swiping cards to close apps is not intuitive. No other common mobile OS had this feature. The common mobile OS feature is icons, which everyone is familiar with. On the webos phones, the gesture area is not intuitive, no other popular mobile smartphone has this feature. Both of those are learned functions. Your second paragraph referencing swipe vs. sling makes that evident. It also makes it a non uniform experience between devices.
    To me , switching between cards is the most intuitive of all OS. That would alone make me buy webOS devices.
    The pond makes no difference.

Take a look at the link Falconrap provided for IOS:
    The average iOS App Publisher Isn't Making Much Money.

Keep in mind the 2 billion dollars Apple announced paid out to developers was after 10 billion downloads.

Now with the considerably smaller population of Webos users, how much in dollars do you think this "recognition" is going to translate to?
    Wow. How did you get that cr*p from my link? A handful of iOS developers make all the money. The pathetic numbers on that page are the average when all of the developers are divided into the pool of money made. The reality is something like 2/3rds aren't even pulling a G every year. With webOS there is a lot less competition. If you bring a killer app to this platform, you have a chance to get several hundred thousand app users. Even at $0.50 an app you could make a killing with those numbers. The typical $0.99 app pulling in 10,000 new TouchPad owners will pull in $7k for the developer (if I remember the correct ratio for webOS apps). As you can see, it would be much easier to make money here, and stand-out, than it is on iOS where the core functions already have the big name apps that most people insist on using.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    That's 50% of actual Touchpad buyers, not 50% of an imagined number of Touchpads Why not go all out and claim there were 10 million Touchpads manufactured? HP would've been stupid to manufacture more than a few hundred thousand ... but judging by the actions of the past few days, it wouldn't surprise me.
    It's reported that the first day of the fire sale, before Best Buy's 270k units came into play, that 350,000 TouchPads were sold. I've seen some estimates that the TouchPad had already sold around 200k before all of this. If you then combine Best Buy's stock, you are looking at 820k right there. This doesn't include Walmart, Sams, Costco, Sears, Radio Shack, Newegg, MicroCenter, Barnes and Noble, Amazon, etc... I think the 2 million TouchPad number is legit, and that we will be seeing upwards of 2 million tablet users on webOS (keep in mind that they still have the additional stock of 64GB units, and the 4G tablets for AT&T as well). I wouldn't doubt if there were a total of 3 million TouchPads when you had the other flavors.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    It's reported that the first day of the fire sale, before Best Buy's 270k units came into play, that 350,000 TouchPads were sold. I've seen some estimates that the TouchPad had already sold around 200k before all of this. If you then combine Best Buy's stock, you are looking at 820k right there. This doesn't include Walmart, Sams, Costco, Sears, Radio Shack, Newegg, MicroCenter, Barnes and Noble, Amazon, etc... I think the 2 million TouchPad number is legit, and that we will be seeing upwards of 2 million tablet users on webOS (keep in mind that they still have the additional stock of 64GB units, and the 4G tablets for AT&T as well). I wouldn't doubt if there were a total of 3 million TouchPads when you had the other flavors.
    Food for thought:
    How Much Did HP Lose on the TouchPad? Here’s a Good Guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    most plans dont involve ruining your companys good name and alienating your customers.
    most plans don't involve taking a $300 or $400 loss on every device you sell and losing a couple hundred million dollars either.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    If you noticed, this article tries to find some reason as to why the $1B charge. Maybe because there are clearly more than 1 million made? How can you sell 350k during a fire sale, add 270k from Best Buy, then throw in another ~200k before this mess went down, plus all of the big retailers that still has a lot after the initial 350k sales number, but have since sold out? Add to that, HP is going to have more available here soon.

Quite frankly, people are forgetting that they said they would shutdown manufacturing by October. I wouldn't be shocked if they tried to keep up this momentum to greatly increase the user base further.

No matter the exact number, it's a lot in a very short time, and the App Catalog's slowness, as well as the System Update servers (just got my personal TouchPad and it took a while to get it updated and the catalog was sporadic), demonstrate the fact that they are swamped.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345