Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Mojo did not reference anything about apps. Who cares? Apparently HP as they just dumped their mobile space. Who cares? The stock holders.

Your thoughts concerning apps did not translate to webos in over two years. By your statement you'd think developers would have flocked to webos in droves because they can differentiate the apps. Didn't happen.

In regard to the number of IOS apps, perception is everything. (Look at HP's closing stock prices on 8/18 and 8/19 as an example of perception).

Consumers like choice. IOS gives them that.
    You don't get it. See my link above. I'm not, in any way, saying that developers are going to flock to webOS. They are not. What I have been saying is that there are probably a block of developers who may see webOS as a chance to get their app noticed and make some good sales, assuming the development process for their app isn't costly (some are easy...some are very difficult). If, after the TouchPads, Veers, and Pre 3 are all fire saled and sold out, the webOS user base swells to somewhere in the 2-3 million range, that will be a very nice base for many less difficult to port/develop apps to be brought in and take chance on making money. Most of the money made in iOS land is made by a handful of developers. Everyone keeps trying to be THAT app that takes off. Most non-game apps are nothing more than simple mini-web site apps, which are a dime a dozen, easy to make, and not of any real need if your tablet or phone can actually run flash (more so for the tablet and it's normally on wifi mode of operation).

See my link above. The average is just a few thousand, and that is skewed by the few that make the majority of the money.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    You don't get it. See my link above. I'm not, in any way, saying that developers are going to flock to webOS. They are not. What I have been saying is that there are probably a block of developers who may see webOS as a chance to get their app noticed and make some good sales, assuming the development process for their app isn't costly (some are easy...some are very difficult). If, after the TouchPads, Veers, and Pre 3 are all fire saled and sold out, the webOS user base swells to somewhere in the 2-3 million range, that will be a very nice base for many less difficult to port/develop apps to be brought in and take chance on making money. Most of the money made in iOS land is made by a handful of developers. Everyone keeps trying to be THAT app that takes off. Most non-game apps are nothing more than simple mini-web site apps, which are a dime a dozen, easy to make, and not of any real need if your tablet or phone can actually run flash (more so for the tablet and it's normally on wifi mode of operation).

See my link above. The average is just a few thousand, and that is skewed by the few that make the majority of the money.
    You don't get it. Mojo made no reference to apps, he mentioned number of ipads sold. I responded to your Who Cares comment in regard to number of iPads sold.

You went off tangent with your pet peeve on apps to try and link a point. The two don't link.

A big app store with 1000 fart app helps sell tablets. Whether developers are making a profit is another issue. Customer perception, something that unfortunately eluded webos. Webos should have been the goto platform ahead of Android. At least that is how I wished it would of worked out.
    "What I have been saying is that there are probably a block of developers who may see webOS as a chance to get their app noticed and make some good sales, assuming the development process for their app isn't costly"
    They have had over two years to get there app noticed. 2 million more users, so what.
    Most non-game apps are nothing more than simple mini-web site apps, which are a dime a dozen, easy to make, and not of any real need if your tablet or phone can actually run flash (more so for the tablet and it's normally on wifi mode of operation).
    Yes flash did a world of good for the Touchpad. Tomorrow I will go to Bestbuy and pick up a Touchpad. Thanks.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 08/21/2011 at 10:08 PM.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    What I have been saying is that there are probably a block of developers who may see webOS as a chance to get their app noticed and make some good sales, assuming the development process for their app isn't costly (some are easy...some are very difficult). If, after the TouchPads, Veers, and Pre 3 are all fire saled and sold out, the webOS user base swells to somewhere in the 2-3 million range, that will be a very nice base for many less difficult to port/develop apps to be brought in and take chance on making money.
    If the TouchPad has more "native" apps than Honeycomb, then it would be easier to get notice in Honeycomb.

No way that they built 2-3 million touchpads.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    If the TouchPad has more "native" apps than Honeycomb, then it would be easier to get notice in Honeycomb.

No way that they built 2-3 million touchpads.
    People have not been enamored with Android on tablets. Not like iOS. HP, as a brand, had much greater interest from potential customers for their tablet than the Android brands do (yes, another survey).

Apparently, the 2 million number is something that has been going around. Considering 350,000 were apparently sold before Best Buy's 270,000 came into the field, and the fact that Newegg and Amazon still have them in stock (because they haven't officially price matched yet...it's the weekend) I would gather that the 2 million mark, worldwide, is probably not far from the truth. We'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    You don't get it. Mojo made no reference to apps, he mentioned number of ipads sold. I responded to your Who Cares comment in regard to number of iPads sold.

You went off tangent with your pet peeve on apps to try and link a point. The two don't link.

A big app store with 1000 fart app helps sell tablets. Whether developers are making a profit is another issue. Customer perception, something that unfortunately eluded webos. Webos should have been the goto platform ahead of Android. At least that is how I wished it would of worked out.

They have had over two years to get there app noticed. 2 million more users, so what.

Yes flash did a world of good for the Touchpad. Tomorrow I will go to Bestbuy and pick up a Touchpad. Thanks.
    Read the whole thread. His contention dealt with developers coming to the plate versus the number of TouchPads sold, because this was all that would be sold. So I responded, at some point, about the fact that developers have a shot at being noticed and making money on webOS if it has over 2 million users and just 1000 tablet apps and 2-3k compatible apps. Hence my rant on the overwhelming number of repetitive apps. It's like every app category on iOS has a Brighthouse Labs churning out 1000 slightly modified versions of the exact same app. It's hard to get noticed in that mess.

So having this big sale, despite the continuing sales of iPads, allows developers, who want to take the chance, to try and make their mark on a less varied, app wise, platform.

Did I explain it well enough this time? I think my point is quite valid, but feel free to disagree.
    Read the whole thread. His contention dealt with developers coming to the plate versus the number of TouchPads sold, because this was all that would be sold. So I responded, at some point, about the fact that developers have a shot at being noticed and making money on webOS if it has over 2 million users and just 1000 tablet apps and 2-3k compatible apps. Hence my rant on the overwhelming number of repetitive apps. It's like every app category on iOS has a Brighthouse Labs churning out 1000 slightly modified versions of the exact same app. It's hard to get noticed in that mess.

So having this big sale, despite the continuing sales of iPads, allows developers, who want to take the chance, to try and make their mark on a less varied, app wise, platform.

Did I explain it well enough this time? I think my point is quite valid, but feel free to disagree.
    I just don't see the incentive. 2 million is such a small market. On iOS or Android, you not only get the tablet market but you can potentially make a app that works in both tablets and smart phones. That's a HUGE market, why waste time and resources on a dead platform with hardly any users? 2 million is just a tiny blip in the radar.
    Awesome as I ever thought.
    -Travis Antonio
    Trakyng Games

Devices:
    -Motorola Atrix 4G (1.5 Ghz) (CM7 Neutrino) (Tegra Hack H^LLA POWERFUL)
    -Palm Pre Plus *DEAD*
    -Palm Pre Plus (Mom).

Never forget to say Thanks, God bless you all.
    Now, I wonder how long it's going to take to package, label, and ship 500,000 tablets?
    Quote Originally Posted by VaccPalm View Post
    Unfortunately in 6 months most of these tablets will probally run android.
    I am willing to bet, that most people, once they use webOS will not want to go back to Android. Ofcourse this is subject to HP keeping webOS alive, but even otherwise there will be many who will be more than happy running webOS as is. Personally it already does everything I want it to do and it does it better than any other OS out there.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    gbp likes this.
    Ok, the amount of insane fanboyism in this thread is starting to get to the point of myself getting more than one jawdropping shock at how stupid some people can be. Before I continue, I have a bridge to sell as well. Anyone? No?

WebOS may not be entirely dead, sure. HP might continue to horizontally support it, for a while, sure. Maybe even license it out, sure.

First of all having sold all of the Touchpads, be it 500k or 1 million or even 3 million, it doesn't matter in the world of iPads, Android tablets and Nooks and other tablets being converted to Android. The app store is FAR too small in comparison to both iTunes and Android Market. Most of the cool apps I have for my iPad and my Xoom don't even exist for the Touchpad. I'm also not going to pay for anything, period. I'll do a few of the free ones and give the two Touchpads to my parents. They won't be purchasing anything either. Just as a note here, I have spent around $300 in Itunes and around $100 in Android Market. Most people won't PAY for the apps.

Second, it wouldn't even matter if every single person who bought a Touchpad spent $300 on apps, which they won't, at all, period, ever, in a million years. HP would NOT break even. Just no.

Third, you're comparing to iPad's and Android tablets. Sure, let's do that. iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3 in the future, iPad 4 in the future, iPad 5 in the future......Motorola Xoom, Motorola Xoom 2 in the future......Samsung Galaxy Tab, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Tab ? in the future........HP Touchpad.....hmmm oh right, NOTHING in the future whatsoever, for ANY kind of WebOS device. Why would anyone even want to develop for WebOS in 6 months? There would probably be a bigger market developing games for a Commodore 64.

Fourth, there is no shadow buyer in HTC, Samsung, Microsoft, Apple or whatever else you people are dreaming up from 9th party hearsay rumors that someone's grandmothers boyfriends friends sisters cousin heard from a guy in a top secret sales meeting that suddenly turned into a 6 hour strategy from HP. If HP HAD a strategy, they wouldn't have butchered everything a few days ago.

Oh and just as a sidenote here, the Touchpad actually IS laggy. Music stutters, pages load slow, a lot of stuff that requires logins takes forever to get into, the app store is amazingly tiny, can't put anything on the big empty blob of wasted homescreen, there are TONS of stuff missing when comparing to even an iPad 1 and most certainly it look old and lackluster compared to an iPad 2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Heck, even my crappy Xoom which I am beginning to hate is better than this.

Should we come back and laugh in 6 months or are you all going to be chanting here about a new buyer being RIGHT around the corner soon? Please, just stop, it's getting pathetic and embarrassing to witness people drop to such new lows.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    I just don't see the incentive. 2 million is such a small market. On iOS or Android, you not only get the tablet market but you can potentially make a app that works in both tablets and smart phones. That's a HUGE market, why waste time and resources on a dead platform with hardly any users? 2 million is just a tiny blip in the radar.
    Depends on the app. Many apps can be ported in hours. Those would be the best candidates. If it takes hundreds of development hours...then yes...I agree.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CannonFodder View Post
    Now, I wonder how long it's going to take to package, label, and ship 500,000 tablets?
    Yup, imagine the phone call to downtown Shenzen:
    "Um, about that shutdown!"
    Quote Originally Posted by transient View Post
    Well, if YOU developed a good application that didnt compete with 10 = 15 others, how does selling 500,000, or 1,000,000 copies sound to you?

If those 2,000,000 (I think that there will be more, but regardless) are all in need of apps, there's business to be done and money to be made, and a TON more appreciation/recognition to recieve.

Do you want to be a small fish in a big pond, or, a Big fish in a small pond...you decide!

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

14. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Fantasy - no small developer is going to get a 50% sales rate.
    Another problem is as soon as they get android running properly on the platform we will be competing with google for users on our own hardware.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre 2 using Forums
  16. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    I am willing to bet, that most people, once they use webOS will not want to go back to Android. Ofcourse this is subject to HP keeping webOS alive, but even otherwise there will be many who will be more than happy running webOS as is. Personally it already does everything I want it to do and it does it better than any other OS out there.
    You hit on the core feature, "elegance". webOS has the most intuitive UI. It addictive.

I swipe on the TP forgetting that its not a Pre, and I sling the card on Pre forgetting its not TP .

Once you use it, you don't want to go back to other platforms.
  17. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neller2000 View Post
    Ok, the amount of insane fanboyism in this thread is starting to get to the point of myself getting more than one jawdropping shock at how stupid some people can be. Before I continue, I have a bridge to sell as well. Anyone? No?

WebOS may not be entirely dead, sure. HP might continue to horizontally support it, for a while, sure. Maybe even license it out, sure.

First of all having sold all of the Touchpads, be it 500k or 1 million or even 3 million, it doesn't matter in the world of iPads, Android tablets and Nooks and other tablets being converted to Android. The app store is FAR too small in comparison to both iTunes and Android Market. Most of the cool apps I have for my iPad and my Xoom don't even exist for the Touchpad. I'm also not going to pay for anything, period. I'll do a few of the free ones and give the two Touchpads to my parents. They won't be purchasing anything either. Just as a note here, I have spent around $300 in Itunes and around $100 in Android Market. Most people won't PAY for the apps.

Second, it wouldn't even matter if every single person who bought a Touchpad spent $300 on apps, which they won't, at all, period, ever, in a million years. HP would NOT break even. Just no.

Third, you're comparing to iPad's and Android tablets. Sure, let's do that. iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3 in the future, iPad 4 in the future, iPad 5 in the future......Motorola Xoom, Motorola Xoom 2 in the future......Samsung Galaxy Tab, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Tab ? in the future........HP Touchpad.....hmmm oh right, NOTHING in the future whatsoever, for ANY kind of WebOS device. Why would anyone even want to develop for WebOS in 6 months? There would probably be a bigger market developing games for a Commodore 64.

Fourth, there is no shadow buyer in HTC, Samsung, Microsoft, Apple or whatever else you people are dreaming up from 9th party hearsay rumors that someone's grandmothers boyfriends friends sisters cousin heard from a guy in a top secret sales meeting that suddenly turned into a 6 hour strategy from HP. If HP HAD a strategy, they wouldn't have butchered everything a few days ago.

Oh and just as a sidenote here, the Touchpad actually IS laggy. Music stutters, pages load slow, a lot of stuff that requires logins takes forever to get into, the app store is amazingly tiny, can't put anything on the big empty blob of wasted homescreen, there are TONS of stuff missing when comparing to even an iPad 1 and most certainly it look old and lackluster compared to an iPad 2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1. Heck, even my crappy Xoom which I am beginning to hate is better than this.

Should we come back and laugh in 6 months or are you all going to be chanting here about a new buyer being RIGHT around the corner soon? Please, just stop, it's getting pathetic and embarrassing to witness people drop to such new lows.
    You look like a newbie to precentral. I have one sentence as my response.

Welcome to webOS.
    Rnp likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    You look like a newbie to precentral. I have one sentence as my response.

Welcome to webOS.
    Yup, welcome. In time my friend in time, that's all I gotta say. He already got the makings of a convert, PASSION.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by champiful View Post
    Yup, welcome. In time my friend in time, that's all I gotta say. He already got the makings of a convert, PASSION.
    Yup, for 99 dollars you expect all these ? hmm.
    I can see the platform catching up. I see a dozen Apps added between Friday and Today. All these newbies are not going anywhere, they are stuck with us here at PC
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    If it is for $ 99.00 + free shipping ? Sure. Why not ?

I see you accept that there is future for webOS.

Third, you're comparing to iPad's and Android tablets. Sure, let's do that. iPad, iPad 2, iPad 3 in the future, iPad 4 in the future, iPad 5 in the future......
    Sure Apple is a better company than HP by a mile.

Motorola Xoom, Motorola Xoom 2 in the future
    Reeelly ? um , okay, why would they got sold to El Goog ? Hopefully the few existing XOOM buyers are waiting for XOOM 2 under Google.

......Samsung Galaxy Tab, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Samsung Galaxy Tab ?
    Do you know anything about Patents ?

Nope, its all planned (butchering). Who would have thought that there will be a million webOS users in about a week. Now HP can tell Samsung and HTC, "Here are our million subjects, you can sell them the TP2 if you want. And OBTW, we can cover you under our patent umbrella"

Oh and just as a sidenote here, the Touchpad actually IS laggy. Music stutters, pages load slow, a lot of stuff that requires logins takes forever to get into, the app store is amazingly tiny,
    That's why we are here at this forum. Precentral is a gold mine. Dig deep, you will be surprised. The patches, overclocking.....

And BTW, if you bought it at $99.00 , please don't complain.

can't put anything on the big empty blob of wasted homescreen, there are TONS of stuff missing when comparing to even an iPad 1 and most certainly it look old and lackluster compared to an iPad 2 and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1.
    We love the clean home page. Why do you want to muddy it ?
    Beauty is in the eyes of beholder.

Heck, even my crappy Xoom which I am beginning to hate is better than this.
    Sure that makes it eleven , people who like their XOOM ( including you and me).

We definitely be laughing together. I can see you hunt for patches

Take it easy.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast