Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 90
Like Tree24Likes
  1. #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    They have it - it's called QNX - the first phones running it will be out at the end of the year - Blackberry will not deepsix it for WebOS.

    The only thing of value here is the patents.
    Have you used QNX? I don't see it being very successful. But you're probably right. Their bad rip-off of webOS is what they will go with. And they will continue to bleed users.
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    We know that the a loss is a loss for HP. However the point here is how many users will get to know about webOS.
    Yes, and do you know what many of them are going to think? "Wow, there really aren't any apps for webOS. are there? This stinks!"

    Everyone assumes that the great webOS multitasking will be enough to sway any potential user. The fact is, though, that the market demonstrates that people love apps--and, relatively speaking, webOS doesn't have any.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    They have it - it's called QNX - the first phones running it will be out at the end of the year - Blackberry will not deepsix it for WebOS.

    The only thing of value here is the patents.
    Hypocritical much?
    So webOS can't succeed because it's a two-player market, and you need apps, and Google and Apple are better anyway, and webOS was too late in 2009, and FAR too late in 2011.

    But QNX, with phones out "at the end of the year", that is, "in the coming months" (!!!!) is a modern system that is preferable to webOS?
  4. #44  
    The news sounds good, but to me, so sad.
  5. #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Hypocritical much?
    So webOS can't succeed because it's a two-player market, and you need apps, and Google and Apple are better anyway, and webOS was too late in 2009, and FAR too late in 2011.

    But QNX, with phones out "at the end of the year", that is, "in the coming months" (!!!!) is a modern system that is preferable to webOS?
    He didn't say RIM would be successful with QNX. He simply said that RIM wouldn't go with webOS--certainly they know that they won't be more successful with it than they will be with QNX.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6. #46  
    Funny, when I open the App Catalog there seems to be several hundred tablet optimized apps, and well over a thousand phone apps that function on the tablet. Of course, the web works fully, so many apps serve no purpose for webOS. But hey, I'm sure, after getting a device that costs over $300 to make, for just $100, that works on all the websites and does most of the things anyone would want a tablet for, that they'll just say "oh man, there's no apps!"

    Let's be real here. There will be no less than half a million users. If HP did, in fact, manufacture 2 million of these things, then there will be 2 million users. When you consider that the webOS App Catalog for tablets is very small compared to iOS, I am sure there are many developers who may think that putting their app on webOS, with a lot less competition, is a good potential money maker. App developers were already seeing a significant spike in sales. This will create a small boom for them. We'll see if it lasts.
    jgoooopats likes this.
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post

    Let's be real here. There will be no less than half a million users. If HP did, in fact, manufacture 2 million of these things, then there will be 2 million users.
    Apple sells around 9 million iPads a quarter, and will continue selling them.
  8. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Hypocritical much?
    So webOS can't succeed because it's a two-player market, and you need apps, and Google and Apple are better anyway, and webOS was too late in 2009, and FAR too late in 2011.

    But QNX, with phones out "at the end of the year", that is, "in the coming months" (!!!!) is a modern system that is preferable to webOS?

    Huh? You seem to be answering a post that only exists in your head.

    As someone else pointed out - I never actually said that I thought that QNX was going to be successful* - simply that after spending hundreds of millions developing it, they aren't going to toss it aside for WebOS.


    * no comment on that at the moment, has to come to the market first.


    The more I investigate the current realities of licensing and what WP7 is currently charging and how much WebOS needs to make (south of 60 million licences @ $5 a licence) to break-even - the more I think what will actually happen is that HTC will buy WebOS outright for @ 600-800 million for the patients (@1500 of them).
    Last edited by CGK; 08/21/2011 at 03:16 PM.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo-filter View Post
    Apple sells around 9 million iPads a quarter, and will continue selling them.
    Who cares? There's 100,000+ apps, 10's of thousands of iPad apps. Guess what? Most apps all do the same things, other than games. How many map apps, music apps, twitter apps, facebook apps, e-reader apps, and newsreader apps do you need? There are like, what, 1,000 fart apps? Seriously. How is a developer supposed to get differentiation and sell there product in that mess? Most iOS developers are making peanuts every year. I forget the exact amount of money, but it's not enough to pay the light bill.

    webOS gives developers the opportunity to bring an app over to a an audience that has far fewer choices. It's an opportunity to actually make money for those players that don't have a big name app on the other platform. And, for the big guys, it's another market to make money off of, as long as the development costs aren't high.
    jgoooopats likes this.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by pangi View Post
    In 2 days, if Apple probably sold about 240,000 iPads. During that same time HP has probably sold 350,000 TouchPads.

    Maybe it was a plan? Also hatched by Paul Miller on thisismynext.com podcast.

    Apple numbers:
    http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Grabs...cle22485.htmn?

    HP numbers:
    What does the glut of cheap HP TouchPads mean for Apple and Android tablet sales?
    There's a flaw with this: once all Touchpads are sold, that's it. The iPad will continue to sell at a rate of 30,000 - 50,000 iPads a day.
  11. pangi's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
       #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    There's a flaw with this: once all Touchpads are sold, that's it. The iPad will continue to sell at a rate of 30,000 - 50,000 iPads a day.
    I know, I know. My point was a little sarcastic. Truth is, the fire sale makes the price vs usefulness equation compelling. I don't get the whole tablet thing, and the fact that millions are sold proves that grown ups like toys too.

    Darren Murph nailed it IMHO:

    Editorial: tablets aren't the 'third device' I'd hoped for... from a productivity standpoint, anyway -- Engadget
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Who cares? There's 100,000+ apps, 10's of thousands of iPad apps. Guess what? Most apps all do the same things, other than games. How many map apps, music apps, twitter apps, facebook apps, e-reader apps, and newsreader apps do you need? There are like, what, 1,000 fart apps? Seriously. How is a developer supposed to get differentiation and sell there product in that mess? Most iOS developers are making peanuts every year. I forget the exact amount of money, but it's not enough to pay the light bill.

    webOS gives developers the opportunity to bring an app over to a an audience that has far fewer choices. It's an opportunity to actually make money for those players that don't have a big name app on the other platform. And, for the big guys, it's another market to make money off of, as long as the development costs aren't high.
    I'd like to see your facts on this. And the fact of the matter is, more apps means more choice. Having multiple apps that do the same thing gives differentiation and choice, which people like.

    Take a look at Twitter for example. There are hundreds of Twitter apps on iOS and many do VERY well. Why? Because people like different things. That applies to everything.

    One coming to webOS from a platform like iOS may feel restricted.. their choices are limited, or in some cases, not available.
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Again, missing the point. In your (all too common) haste to bash the platform, you missed the part where Win2K is working PERFECTLY as designed despite it being EOL'd many, MANY, years ago. M$ hasn't released a service patch or update in all that time and yet there has been no loss of function.


    The POINT is that after the Pre+ was discontinued, the devices STILL WORKED THE SAME, still downloaded apps, and did all the things they did before they were discontinued. The TPad will continue to WORK THE SAME once they are all sold. Go read the "pre announcement" reviews on Amazon (you know where it was HIGHEST rated after a month. Everything they raved about the device is still true, will be true tomorrow, and still true a year from now.

    ...THAT is the point.
    And only you can miss the point the HP effectively killed off any future development for the platform. My parents Betamax still works, but you can't purchase any new movies for it. So now they can can only watch The Black Stallion and Flash Gordon (the two movies they have for their Betamax) over and over. Alas, they decided instead to purchase a DVD player. This way they have a much wider selection in making their video choices.

    Development of WebOS apps will slow from the extremely slow rate we have already seen, to nonexistent. HP will stop releasing updates shortly. Your TP will be frozen in time.

    I know you are crazy optimistic about WebOS, and you claim I am pessimistic, but I ask.....who has been right?
  14. #54  
    If there were $99 Ipads, there would be riots in the street.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    I'd like to see your facts on this. And the fact of the matter is, more apps means more choice. Having multiple apps that do the same thing gives differentiation and choice, which people like.

    Take a look at Twitter for example. There are hundreds of Twitter apps on iOS and many do VERY well. Why? Because people like different things. That applies to everything.

    One coming to webOS from a platform like iOS may feel restricted.. their choices are limited, or in some cases, not available.
    No problem. If you actually want to deal with facts, like I prefer too, then here they are: <click here>
  16. #56  
    not even close, but its the best thing to happen to webos since 2009
  17. #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by pangi View Post
    In 2 days, if Apple probably sold about 240,000 iPads. During that same time HP has probably sold 350,000 TouchPads.

    Maybe it was a plan? Also hatched by Paul Miller on thisismynext.com podcast.

    Apple numbers:
    http://www.dailytech.com/Apple+Grabs...cle22485.htmn?

    HP numbers:
    What does the glut of cheap HP TouchPads mean for Apple and Android tablet sales?
    OMFG! Just stop it! I ****ing hate deluded fanboism, regardless of platform or OS "ecosystem"

    of course the numbers are gonna skew like this, the damn thing is $99. It has no long term viability and even many of the devs are dubious as to the future of webos itself without proper financial support from a corporation. I'll change my opinion when HP announces 3rd party hardware vendor willing to make decent hardware for webos.

    Just let it go! no maybe this or that, chill out and wait to see what happens be glad you got a webos tablet at all. You'll be lucky if you ever see another.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo-filter View Post
    Apple sells around 9 million iPads a quarter, and will continue selling them.
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Who cares? There's 100,000+ apps, 10's of thousands of iPad apps. Guess what? Most apps all do the same things, other than games. How many map apps, music apps, twitter apps, facebook apps, e-reader apps, and newsreader apps do you need? There are like, what, 1,000 fart apps? Seriously. How is a developer supposed to get differentiation and sell there product in that mess? Most iOS developers are making peanuts every year. I forget the exact amount of money, but it's not enough to pay the light bill.

    webOS gives developers the opportunity to bring an app over to a an audience that has far fewer choices. It's an opportunity to actually make money for those players that don't have a big name app on the other platform. And, for the big guys, it's another market to make money off of, as long as the development costs aren't high.
    Mojo did not reference anything about apps. Who cares? Apparently HP as they just dumped their mobile space. Who cares? The stock holders.

    Your thoughts concerning apps did not translate to webos in over two years. By your statement you'd think developers would have flocked to webos in droves because they can differentiate the apps. Didn't happen.

    In regard to the number of IOS apps, perception is everything. (Look at HP's closing stock prices on 8/18 and 8/19 as an example of perception).

    Consumers like choice. IOS gives them that.
  19. #59  
    Unfortunately in 6 months most of these tablets will probally run android.
  20. #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by macbranson View Post
    If there were $99 Ipads, there would be riots in the street.
    The funny things is that the $500 iPad caused far longer lines than this.
    finngirl likes this.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions