Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nrguser View Post
    Small price to increase your install base.

Imagine how many people will buy accessories at full price, apps, and actually use the touchpad.
    Damn will the fantasies never end. What about the 12 billion in company value HP lost between Thursday and Friday? Was that part of the master plan to dominate the tablet space with webos?

Why is it every time there is some failure in webos environment some fan tries to spin this as some sort of positive against Apple. Not a question.

Apple has nothing to do with HP F'up or the low adoption rate of webos. Android does not seem to have a problem, at least in the phone space. Webos is the problem.

Apple didn't tell HP do dump their mobile and PC business.

Stop imagining things and get back to the reality of the situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    How did they shoot them in the face? Will the TPads self-destruct at some random point in the future?? I have an old archive server running WINDOWS 2000 ADV. SERVER that M$ stopped supporting *years* ago. Software still works exactly the same and it's meeting the same need now it did when M$ was supporting it.

HP actually HELPED devs by handing them 100's of thousands of new users
    Now you are going to have an old Touchapd running webos 3.x to keep your Windows 2000 server company. You're all set.

Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Some are continuing, others are putting development on hold.
    Devs trying to make a living will not stick around for fire-sale users. The numbers and the uncertainty is just not worth it.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 08/21/2011 at 12:12 AM.
    nappy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    How many Ipads have Apple or any other OEM sold all time compared to the sales of the Touchpad.
    how many of those will continue to sell after next week.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    hopefully enough TouchPads have been sold to keep interest in the platform anyhow.
    How did they shoot them in the face? Will the TPads self-destruct at some random point in the future?? I have an old archive server running WINDOWS 2000 ADV. SERVER that M$ stopped supporting *years* ago. Software still works exactly the same and it's meeting the same need now it did when M$ was supporting it.

some1 needs to be around to use that server/software in contrast it kinda helps if we have devs left on the tpudhpad to make stuff, and if you cant see why the devs are feelig the pain from this then i dunno how to convince you tbh, seems pretty obvious even to me and id only just started learning a short while ago.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I'm not sure how devs think, but I would have thought that a couple of 100k new users would inspire them to at least finish the projects that they are on.

I hope that there is an announcement soon re: licencing to, say HTC to keep them interested
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    Devs trying to make a living will not stick around for fire-sale users. The numbers and the uncertainty is just not worth it.
    They won't mind the income from the existing apps that those users purchase though. If they do, they are welcome to send that extra cash to me.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman View Post
    Um, I guess you left out the fact that Microsoft replaced Windows 2000 ADV Server with NEWER VERSIONS and didn't completly kill off the product after 1.5 months on the market. Probably not the best analogy.
    I just bought a refurbished Thinkpad T-60 with Microsoft XP Professional from 2002 with 512 MB RAM. The cost was for $ 225.00 from Newegg.

Guess what it just works. Its on par with my latest Dell with i5 for casual browsing. No regrets.

If anything more people know about webOS. Folks who refused to even touch the Touchpad are now buying it. Once they hold it , they know how it is different than the others.
    I would say its a killer marketing.
  9. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Are you sure ?
    If you have kids you know that the games are in demand. The fire-sale users are not cheap when it comes to buying apps for couple of dollars.
    Quote Originally Posted by JKK Photography View Post
    I doubt those numbers are real. The entire Best Buy retail system only got 270,000 TouchPads, and that was definitely a focus of where HP was trying to sale them at. In fact, I've only ever seen one at Best Buy.

That said, this did help sales. And I think that HP got their whole "+1 tablet maker" thing worked out.
    Like a shooting star - burned brightest for a short time.

Doesn't work out so well for the star though, does it?
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    what apps? esp now they have shot the app devs in the face.
    I spent all my $ 50.00 HP coupon and an extra $ 20.00 on games.The kids are now liking the tablet they also appreciate the multitasking.

If you are any good developer with existing iOS games this is the time to make more money.
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    Like a shooting star - burned brightest for a short time.

Doesn't work out so well for the star though, does it?
    It does not work for any company too. It all depends of how long it burns brightest. Microsoft was bright for a good 15 years. Apple was there turned to ashes then came back.

We know that the a loss is a loss for HP. However the point here is how many users will get to know about webOS.
    Certainly it's not going to attract new developers, but for those already making webOS apps they've got an incentive to finish projects they're working on.

Also, it may convince some to release a webOS version for a couple hundred thousand users if the cost to add that version isn't prohibitive.

I think developers will stick around for a while (6 months to a year) and if webOS is really dead they'll be gone afterwards.

I think these last few days have been interesting. I've gone from no hope for the future to guarded optimism. The question mark is whether or not all the TouchPads released into the wild will spur interest from someone like Samsung or HTC (or even the possible 'hardware-only HP', if the company is spun off into its own entity).

Either way, I'm good with my current webOS devices for the next two years, then we'll see what happened.

Again, missing the point. In your (all too common) haste to bash the platform, you missed the part where Win2K is working PERFECTLY as designed despite it being EOL'd many, MANY, years ago. M$ hasn't released a service patch or update in all that time and yet there has been no loss of function.

The POINT is that after the Pre+ was discontinued, the devices STILL WORKED THE SAME, still downloaded apps, and did all the things they did before they were discontinued. The TPad will continue to WORK THE SAME once they are all sold. Go read the "pre announcement" reviews on Amazon (you know where it was HIGHEST rated after a month. Everything they raved about the device is still true, will be true tomorrow, and still true a year from now.

...THAT is the point.
    lolwut? So, if there was not another Windows OS, you think there would still be software development going on for that platform of yours? What helps developers is the continued support of the OS and corresponding hardware, so that platforms can continue to grow. No developer is feeding their family off of a one shot spike in sales. HP most assuredly didn't help developers. So you aren't going to see any flock to webOS.

I swear, it's like people are standing over a dead, decapitated corpse, and people are saying "No, it's still alive, the guy that just lopped his head off ASSURES me it wasn't fatal!"
    Blasphemous webOS fan, using Android (with a big phone buying problem)
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    It does not work for any company too. It all depends of how long it burns brightest. Microsoft was bright for a good 15 years. Apple was there turned to ashes then came back.

We know that the a loss is a loss for HP. However the point here is how many users will get to know about webOS.
    I think you need to check your analogy-processing-unit, it seems to be on the fritz.

Anyway, I don't want to argue with you since I see your point and agree with it to a degree.

My point is that this firesale is at best an act of desperation (and I can't even label it desperation, since you have to have hope to be desperate - and HP obviously had no hope). The open question is what this does for webOS's future - this is an unprecedented act, and if someone jumps in quickly enough they may be able to build off of momentum.

Of course, the assumption today is that all those new webOS users won't get ****ed off with webOS. I think that's a valid assumption, but then I also assumed HP would keep its promise and stay in for the long haul.
    Alright, I will say this, MAYBE HP helped those developers that already have really good pay apps in the catalog. Of course, what they helped them do was provide them with a short term amount of cash that they can use to switch to a different platform.
    Quote Originally Posted by reggieb View Post
    lolwut? So, if there was not another Windows OS, you think there would still be software development going on for that platform of yours? What helps developers is the continued support of the OS and corresponding hardware, so that platforms can continue to grow. No developer is feeding their family off of a one shot spike in sales. HP most assuredly didn't help developers. So you aren't going to see any flock to webOS.

I swear, it's like people are standing over a dead, decapitated corpse, and people are saying "No, it's still alive, the guy that just lopped his head off ASSURES me it wasn't fatal!"
    I think the current developers have a reason to stick it out a little longer while moving to other platforms. I can't see attracting any new developers unless the "Samsung/HTC/Angel" wishes happen to materialize SOON.

I don't think we're standing over a decapitated corpse, it's more like we're in intensive care with our 100 year old grandparent in critical condition on life support.

Miracles can happen, just don't hold your breath waiting for them.
    ... and gals, sorry!

Some of these points make my head swim and want to scream at the same time (does that equate to drowning?!).

1) As someone noted above, selling 10,000,000 items at a LOSS just means you're making a bigger loss. I suppose the alternative was to send them to landfills, but a loss is a loss.

2) I believe having about a million NEW WebOS users is a good thing for Devs. Especially when combined with (possible lies) HP's statement about continuing the development of WebOS and the ecosystem that comes with it. While the odds are they will screw it up completely, I think they are going to try develop an ecosystem not unlike Android.

As for the whole sad story, I think HP bringing out the TP and expecting to compete with Apple right out the gate (see original pricing) was pretty dumb. If they wanted ANY kind of market/mind share, they should have realized that (regarding price and pre-built apps).

And if there are any devs out there with stories of REAL (read: Financial) support from HP, to ensure that "Enterprise" (ha-bloody-ha.. Doc Editing, RDP, etc.) app would be ready on time for launch, I would really (not being sarcastic here) like to hear about it.

I think the summary of the orignal approach was: Arrogance

I think the summary of last weeks actions is: "Chickens with their heads cut off"!

I sincerely hope that HTC/Samsung get their hands on WebOS (as a counterbalance to Google/Moto), in which case the devs and us die-hards out here get to enjoy WebOS for years to come. But so far, HP has blown it.

Good luck, everyine!

russ
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    I think the current developers have a reason to stick it out a little longer while moving to other platforms. I can't see attracting any new developers unless the "Samsung/HTC/Angel" wishes happen to materialize SOON.

I don't think we're standing over a decapitated corpse, it's more like we're in intensive care with our 100 year old grandparent in critical condition on life support.

Miracles can happen, just don't hold your breath waiting for them.
    As I have said, Samsung and HTC have been making good business decisions lately. And getting their mitts on webOS would NOT be a good business decision. I still think the company that makes the most sense as a buyer is RIM, as they actually need a modern smartphone OS, and have hordes of loyal users (even still) but are starting to lose them. I think they could sell lots of webBerryOS phones. But I don't see it happening. Again, I just think it makes more sense than a company that is already selling phones on an established and successful OS (Android), and an up and coming OS with GOOD support from its developer (WP7)
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    as they actually need a modern smartphone OS,
    They have it - it's called QNX - the first phones running it will be out at the end of the year - Blackberry will not deepsix it for WebOS.

The only thing of value here is the patents.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast