webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > HP Best Buy rep. 'Watch for Samsung or HTC'
HP Best Buy rep. 'Watch for Samsung or HTC'
Like Tree130Likes

Old 08/20/2011, 08:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

So this should be taken with a grain of salt. I was not in this meeting. Everything I'm writing is 3rd party.

One of my former students works for BB. They were scheduled to have a TP training this am that got changed to a future of webOS meeting by HP.

The HP rep told BB employees that the TP hardware was holding back the performance of webOS. HP knew this and has been in talks with both HTC and Samsung. He mentioned Samsung an HTC being upset with Google and that they were both interested in making webOS phone and tablets. He noted HTC's contract with Beats Audio.

The HP rep said the 'fire sale' was not the original plan but that losses are being considered advertising expenses. "Once you use webOS we believe you won't want to use anything else." Estimated 2 million TP would sell in the 'fire sale.'

The HP rep was very optimistic. He left saying watch for an announcement within the next two weeks about a hardware partner. Possibly both HTC and Samsung.

The Best Buy employees all left 'excited' about webOS's future feeling like they were in the mist of something very big!

Just telling you what I've heard. Hope its true. I'm not trying to sell false hope here.

It should be noted that the meeting lasted 6 hours!

Last edited by iowahawk19; 08/20/2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: adding info - length of meeting
iowahawk19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by hparsons, cobrakon, LCGuy and 29 others like this.
Old 08/20/2011, 08:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

2 millions? Where in the world are they gonna find 2 million unit?
I sure hope what he says is true though, I would love to see WebOs live on!
Thierry19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 08:22 PM   #3 (permalink)

Interesting, here's hoping for the best! I'm not a fan of Beats Audio (prefer stuff like Sennheiser myself), but pairing with HTC and having that brand recognition across both future tablets and phones just makes sense. Of course, a lot of HP's moves haven't made sense in the last few days so...
viewtiful_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)

I recall reading somewhere back in the spring from some corporate-lingo laced interview that HP either ordered or hoped to sell 2.5 mill in the first Q they went on sale. How many were built before they slowed or stop production is the magic question.
saves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 08:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

GOD I hope this is true. PLEASE be true.
TheX-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, Soorma, sorli and 9 others like this.
Thanked by galileo44, gold5225, Soorma
Old 08/20/2011, 08:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

sounds possible - but I think anything positive will sound good right about now. My biggest disappointment in the whole deal is that I was looking forward to the pairing abilities of the TP and a phone. Having them be able to communicate was a huge feature to look forward to.

Maybe there is still hope?!?!?!
indivisibletears is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kjb86 likes this.
Thanked By: navinag
Old 08/20/2011, 08:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well it only make sense to me. I mean, why would they sell out their inventory in a giant fire-sale when it costs what, like $250 for the hardware alone, not counting the r&d? I know its somewhere near that figure. Why sell it at that big of a loss, just to kill the product? It would make better sense to let it flail along trying to get as much as possible per unit before just giving them away, they had time.

My guess is they found a manufacture and do not want to compete their discounted discontinued devices along side their new partner.
saves is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Soorma, retroblu, blackfireball5 and 4 others like this.
Old 08/20/2011, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm picturing this phone call with Samsung:
  • HP: webOS is much better than Android.
  • Samsung: But you are also building hardware that would compete with ours. How's that any different than with Google?
  • HP: So you are saying you'd be a lock if we killed our own webOS hardware development?
  • Samsung: Yes. If you weren't building hardware, we'd sign up in a heartbeat.
  • HP: Please hold....

Sounds better than this.
Old 08/20/2011, 08:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saves View Post
Why sell it at that big of a loss, just to kill the product?
They took the $100 million charge to do so last quarter, and it's a tax write off.
Old 08/20/2011, 08:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

I hope so and pray the rumor is correct...since anything is better then the last week (no rebate, no promo coupon, and price drop that made my original purchase less then stellar). Actually, I loved my TP, but without HP or otherwise support...my tablet means nothing in Six Months... Thanks for the heads up! Sorli...
sorli is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by aiz444 likes this.
Old 08/20/2011, 08:32 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivisibletears View Post
sounds possible - but I think anything positive will sound good right about now. My biggest disappointment in the whole deal is that I was looking forward to the pairing abilities of the TP and a phone. Having them be able to communicate was a huge feature to look forward to.

Maybe there is still hope?!?!?!
I'm with you on this one, being able to answer my sms with the TP would be slick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saves View Post
I guess is they found a manufacture and do not want to compete their discounted discontinued devices along side their new partner.
Sounds plausible. I hope it is true! That would be great.
Thierry19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 08:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Also recall a few months back when the Samsung CEO apparently misspoke about 'when they get webOS' or something to that effect. Anyone remember?

Anyhow, I'm awaitnig my 32G tPad I managed to order Fri nite. Also, hoping for a Pre3 firesale too. Please?
cujoq37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 08:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

How exactly is the hardware holding back webOS? They're falling into the trap that every Android tablet manufacturer is in now: 'Just add cores, it'll be better! The next tablet around the corner will solve all your problems!'

Seems like it is a cop out, make what you have work. Throwing more hardware at it isn't a solution.
narcoleptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: kilroy
Old 08/20/2011, 08:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujoq37 View Post
Also recall a few months back when the Samsung CEO apparently misspoke about 'when they get webOS' or something to that effect. Anyone remember?

Anyhow, I'm awaitnig my 32G tPad I managed to order Fri nite. Also, hoping for a Pre3 firesale too. Please?
I thought the quote was "we want webOS"?

Edit: I was was wrong it's “we are thinking about how to get webOS right now”.

http://www.webosroundup.com/2011/05/...censing-webos/
TheX-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 08/20/2011, 08:39 PM   #15 (permalink)

I can maybe believe most of that story except for the part that the meeting lasted 6 hours. That's almost as long as Touchpad has been on the market ;-)
miles4000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by FliedLice, kilroy, BobKy and 2 others like this.
Old 08/20/2011, 08:40 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoleptic View Post
How exactly is the hardware holding back webOS?
Seriously?

You ever own a Pre? Pretty sure I know the answer to that one.

And the Touchpad came out after the iPad 2. It's "thick," "heavy," one camera, no video out, smudge-prone, etc.

P.S. You have a point. Hardware's not the *only* thing holding it back, but to say that it's *not* holding it back is silly.

P.P.S. REALLY hope this rumor is true! Especially considering how fast Samsung can whip out bomb hardware!
Psychonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 08:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

Oh, by the way: there is zero chance--ZERO--that this kind of information was discussed in a changed-up training meeting at Best Buy.

Did I mention: zero chance?
Old 08/20/2011, 08:43 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
How exactly is the hardware holding back webOS?
Don't quote me on this but I think the TouchPad was designed by Palm and not HP. That's why future development was moved on to the PSG. Palm was a great software company, but their hardware was lacking.
Old 08/20/2011, 08:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

Want to believe. WebOs phones first, then the pads? In other words, which next-gen ipad/iphone product is expected to come out first?
KevMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 08:50 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
How exactly is the hardware holding back webOS? They're falling into the trap that every Android tablet manufacturer is in now: 'Just add cores, it'll be better! The next tablet around the corner will solve all your problems!'

Seems like it is a cop out, make what you have work. Throwing more hardware at it isn't a solution.

True. Touchpad, indeed, all of webos' problems, is not and has never been "just hardware."
finngirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
future of webos, htc, samsung

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0