Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes
  1.    #1  
    So this should be taken with a grain of salt. I was not in this meeting. Everything I'm writing is 3rd party.

One of my former students works for BB. They were scheduled to have a TP training this am that got changed to a future of webOS meeting by HP.

The HP rep told BB employees that the TP hardware was holding back the performance of webOS. HP knew this and has been in talks with both HTC and Samsung. He mentioned Samsung an HTC being upset with Google and that they were both interested in making webOS phone and tablets. He noted HTC's contract with Beats Audio.

The HP rep said the 'fire sale' was not the original plan but that losses are being considered advertising expenses. "Once you use webOS we believe you won't want to use anything else." Estimated 2 million TP would sell in the 'fire sale.'

The HP rep was very optimistic. He left saying watch for an announcement within the next two weeks about a hardware partner. Possibly both HTC and Samsung.

The Best Buy employees all left 'excited' about webOS's future feeling like they were in the mist of something very big!

Just telling you what I've heard. Hope its true. I'm not trying to sell false hope here.

It should be noted that the meeting lasted 6 hours!
    Last edited by iowahawk19; 08/20/2011 at 08:20 PM. Reason: adding info - length of meeting
    2 millions? Where in the world are they gonna find 2 million unit?
    I sure hope what he says is true though, I would love to see WebOs live on!
    Interesting, here's hoping for the best! I'm not a fan of Beats Audio (prefer stuff like Sennheiser myself), but pairing with HTC and having that brand recognition across both future tablets and phones just makes sense. Of course, a lot of HP's moves haven't made sense in the last few days so...
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    I recall reading somewhere back in the spring from some corporate-lingo laced interview that HP either ordered or hoped to sell 2.5 mill in the first Q they went on sale. How many were built before they slowed or stop production is the magic question.
    GOD I hope this is true. PLEASE be true.
    sounds possible - but I think anything positive will sound good right about now. My biggest disappointment in the whole deal is that I was looking forward to the pairing abilities of the TP and a phone. Having them be able to communicate was a huge feature to look forward to.

Maybe there is still hope?!?!?!
    kjb86 likes this.
    Global Posts
    132 Global Posts
    Well it only make sense to me. I mean, why would they sell out their inventory in a giant fire-sale when it costs what, like $250 for the hardware alone, not counting the r&d? I know its somewhere near that figure. Why sell it at that big of a loss, just to kill the product? It would make better sense to let it flail along trying to get as much as possible per unit before just giving them away, they had time.

My guess is they found a manufacture and do not want to compete their discounted discontinued devices along side their new partner.
    I'm picturing this phone call with Samsung:

• HP: webOS is much better than Android.
    • Samsung: But you are also building hardware that would compete with ours. How's that any different than with Google?
    • HP: So you are saying you'd be a lock if we killed our own webOS hardware development?
    • Samsung: Yes. If you weren't building hardware, we'd sign up in a heartbeat.
    • HP: Please hold....

Sounds better than this.
    Quote Originally Posted by saves View Post
    Why sell it at that big of a loss, just to kill the product?
    They took the $100 million charge to do so last quarter, and it's a tax write off.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I hope so and pray the rumor is correct...since anything is better then the last week (no rebate, no promo coupon, and price drop that made my original purchase less then stellar). Actually, I loved my TP, but without HP or otherwise support...my tablet means nothing in Six Months... Thanks for the heads up! Sorli...
    aiz444 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by indivisibletears View Post
    sounds possible - but I think anything positive will sound good right about now. My biggest disappointment in the whole deal is that I was looking forward to the pairing abilities of the TP and a phone. Having them be able to communicate was a huge feature to look forward to.

Maybe there is still hope?!?!?!
    I'm with you on this one, being able to answer my sms with the TP would be slick!

Quote Originally Posted by saves View Post
    I guess is they found a manufacture and do not want to compete their discounted discontinued devices along side their new partner.
    Sounds plausible. I hope it is true! That would be great.
    Global Posts
    90 Global Posts
    Also recall a few months back when the Samsung CEO apparently misspoke about 'when they get webOS' or something to that effect. Anyone remember?

Anyhow, I'm awaitnig my 32G tPad I managed to order Fri nite. Also, hoping for a Pre3 firesale too. Please?
    How exactly is the hardware holding back webOS? They're falling into the trap that every Android tablet manufacturer is in now: 'Just add cores, it'll be better! The next tablet around the corner will solve all your problems!'

Seems like it is a cop out, make what you have work. Throwing more hardware at it isn't a solution.
    Quote Originally Posted by cujoq37 View Post
    Also recall a few months back when the Samsung CEO apparently misspoke about 'when they get webOS' or something to that effect. Anyone remember?

Anyhow, I'm awaitnig my 32G tPad I managed to order Fri nite. Also, hoping for a Pre3 firesale too. Please?
    I thought the quote was "we want webOS"?

Edit: I was was wrong it's “we are thinking about how to get webOS right now”.

http://www.webosroundup.com/2011/05/...censing-webos/
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I can maybe believe most of that story except for the part that the meeting lasted 6 hours. That's almost as long as Touchpad has been on the market ;-)
    BobKy, chalx, remmy123 and 2 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by narcoleptic View Post
    How exactly is the hardware holding back webOS?
    Seriously?

You ever own a Pre? Pretty sure I know the answer to that one.

And the Touchpad came out after the iPad 2. It's "thick," "heavy," one camera, no video out, smudge-prone, etc.

P.S. You have a point. Hardware's not the *only* thing holding it back, but to say that it's *not* holding it back is silly.

P.P.S. REALLY hope this rumor is true! Especially considering how fast Samsung can whip out bomb hardware!
    Oh, by the way: there is zero chance--ZERO--that this kind of information was discussed in a changed-up training meeting at Best Buy.

Did I mention: zero chance?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    tasogare, Keen, jjacobs and 1 others like this.
    How exactly is the hardware holding back webOS?
    Don't quote me on this but I think the TouchPad was designed by Palm and not HP. That's why future development was moved on to the PSG. Palm was a great software company, but their hardware was lacking.
    remmy123 likes this.
    Want to believe. WebOs phones first, then the pads? In other words, which next-gen ipad/iphone product is expected to come out first?
    How exactly is the hardware holding back webOS? They're falling into the trap that every Android tablet manufacturer is in now: 'Just add cores, it'll be better! The next tablet around the corner will solve all your problems!'

Seems like it is a cop out, make what you have work. Throwing more hardware at it isn't a solution.

True. Touchpad, indeed, all of webos' problems, is not and has never been "just hardware."
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast