Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 140
Like Tree130Likes
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    He just looked like a delusional old white guy.
    I'm one of those weird people who think what you just said sounds wrong.

    Imagine if Leo Apotheker hailed from, say, South Africa instead of Germany. Would you still have posted an equivalent quip?

    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder in bizzarro universe
    He just looked like a delusional old black guy.
    I heavily doubt it - because that would've seemed racist to you and a lot of others.

    I just dislike any sort of racial comments as I find them distracting to any serious conversation (I know, I know - internet? serious??) and inherently offensive as they perpetuate the baseline racism that you find everywhere... precisely because people are perpetuating it.
    That includes people as white as paper making fun of their fellow caucasians as well as black people using the N word to refer to one another. If we want people to stop hating on other colors, creeds or nationalities, we should want people to stop making fun of their own as well.

    Just like anyone else, Leo Apotheker has a lot of things you can make fun of - probably more than your average person. The fact that he is of European descent isn't one of them.

    Sorry. I'm on a crusade and couldn't help saying this.

    Back on topic.
    retroblu and TexZenFool like this.
  2. #102  
    Idk if samsung and HTC would do this. Here are some reasons:

    1. Both samsung and htc have 2 os's that they make phones for already(android and wp7) Both of those make much more money than webos will
    2. They would spend more money developing new phones for a smaller user base(webos)
    3. I think samsung and htc are putting all their resources into android and wp7. Look at how many phones samsung releases for android and the profit they are making. I mean hell the sgs2 outsold the iphone and it still hasnt even been released in the U.S.
  3. #103  
    [optimistic]
    Let's see.. competing with every other vendor in the Android arena and Windows Phone market vs. Being the first new hardware to the webos platform that a small but loyal userbase would be super excited to jump on?
    [/optimistic]
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

    One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
  4. gojira5150's Avatar
    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by iverieli View Post
    I got your point but you forget one very important thing! Google bought Motorola. Yes, they said they will not lock android for only Motorola but do you really believe google so stupid like HP to spend 12 billion for nothing? They will support and give best to motorola and not same will be for Samsung, HTC or even LG. Those three big companies left without OS, yes they will continue with Android but they will not be same track like Motorola any more.

    They need new OS and new OS just came up from nowhere - its WebOS!
    This is the EXACT reason I bought a Moto Photon from Sprint last wek. As soon as I heard Google bought Moto Mobility that made my decision between the SGS2 and Photon ALOT easier. Moto phones will be the test phones for all of Googles updates and as such, they will get preferential treatment. Anyone who thinks different has no idea about reality. You don't spend the Cash Google did to not make Moto phones their top priority.
  5. #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by narcoleptic View Post
    I've had a Pre Plus, and currently have a Pre 2. About the only thing I've found lacking was the camera.

    I've also had a original iPhone, and my wife has a 3GS. I have an original iPad, which was given to my kids after I bought my TouchPad. I've handled and used a iPad 2.

    I'm not making these comments from a position of not knowing (or ignoring) what else there is in the market.

    You really don't want Samsung as a hardware manufacturer. A large amount of their Android phones are terrible and do not receive much support. Ask Moment or original Galaxy owners about Samsung. While there was a good amount of carrier pushed apps on those phones, stupendous decisions like a proprietary file system that caused hangs are the tip of the iceberg. Don't think for a minute that Samsung wouldn't try it with a webOS phone.
    This is also the case w/ a fair number of Samsung consumer products, like blue ray players...
  6. skyscanr's Avatar
    Posts
    35 Posts
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    #106  
    Lets me say this . The reason Best Buy did not at first join the fire sale was they have agrement with vendors to take stuff back at best buys cost for them .

    HP told Best Buy to sale them and they would pay the differance .

    Then thats when Best Buy pulled them out and sold them off.

    It was cheaper for HP to have Best Buy sale them then to pay shipping back to them and the reship them out.
    wynand32 likes this.
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by skyscanr View Post
    Lets me say this . The reason Best Buy did not at first join the fire sale was they have agrement with vendors to take stuff back at best buys cost for them .

    HP told Best Buy to sale them and they would pay the differance .

    Then thats when Best Buy pulled them out and sold them off.

    It was cheaper for HP to have Best Buy sale them then to pay shipping back to them and the reship them out.
    Ah, objective reason. It's like a breath of fresh air.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by ckochinsky125 View Post
    Idk if samsung and HTC would do this. Here are some reasons:

    1. Both samsung and htc have 2 os's that they make phones for already(android and wp7) Both of those make much more money than webos will
    2. They would spend more money developing new phones for a smaller user base(webos)
    3. I think samsung and htc are putting all their resources into android and wp7. Look at how many phones samsung releases for android and the profit they are making. I mean hell the sgs2 outsold the iphone and it still hasnt even been released in the U.S.
    Ok, I'll repeat what I have said on a number of these threads. The reasons why Samsung and HTC would be interested in going with webOS would be because 1) Android is in legal hot water (HTC already has a preliminary injunction order against products coming into the US - if it holds up on appeal that means HTC can't sell droids here), and Apple has no intention of playing nice (they are going for the jugular of injuctive relief). 2) Even if Samsung and HTC manage to avoid an injunction due to Apple's lawsuits, they WILL end up paying big royalties for future phones, on top of the $15 or so that MS already collects for every Android handset. 3) With Google buying Moto Mobility, they now have to compete against the owner of Android directly. Not fun.

    From the many forum threads, it's pretty clear that a lot of people don't realize just how bad the legal position is for Android, and how bad the Google/Moto deal looks to the other vendors. Yes, it is THAT bad. It really is. Quite frankly, I have a feeling that this whole mess is some panic move by Leo to set HP up to license to these vendors and to make sure they don't have any product out there to compete against. It seems they want to do what Android has been doing.
    iowahawk19 likes this.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Ok, I'll repeat what I have said on a number of these threads. The reasons why Samsung and HTC would be interested in going with webOS would be because 1) Android is in legal hot water (HTC already has a preliminary injunction order against products coming into the US - if it holds up on appeal that means HTC can't sell droids here), and Apple has no intention of playing nice (they are going for the jugular of injuctive relief). 2) Even if Samsung and HTC manage to avoid an injunction due to Apple's lawsuits, they WILL end up paying big royalties for future phones, on top of the $15 or so that MS already collects for every Android handset. 3) With Google buying Moto Mobility, they now have to compete against the owner of Android directly. Not fun.

    From the many forum threads, it's pretty clear that a lot of people don't realize just how bad the legal position is for Android, and how bad the Google/Moto deal looks to the other vendors. Yes, it is THAT bad. It really is. Quite frankly, I have a feeling that this whole mess is some panic move by Leo to set HP up to license to these vendors and to make sure they don't have any product out there to compete against. It seems they want to do what Android has been doing.
    So why wouldn't Oems just go with WP7 that already has good number of apps and is being used by LG, Samsung, and HTC.

    Worse comes to worse we see the Handset alliance + Microsoft Jointly buy Palms patents.
  10. #110  
    Imagine, if Samsung or HTC pick up WebOS they could be in a position to compete with Nokia's (Meego) smart phone market share!

    --------------------------------
    Love hate since launch day.
  11. #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    Ok, I'll repeat what I have said on a number of these threads. The reasons why Samsung and HTC would be interested in going with webOS would be because 1) Android is in legal hot water (HTC already has a preliminary injunction order against products coming into the US - if it holds up on appeal that means HTC can't sell droids here), and Apple has no intention of playing nice (they are going for the jugular of injuctive relief). 2) Even if Samsung and HTC manage to avoid an injunction due to Apple's lawsuits, they WILL end up paying big royalties for future phones, on top of the $15 or so that MS already collects for every Android handset. 3) With Google buying Moto Mobility, they now have to compete against the owner of Android directly. Not fun.

    From the many forum threads, it's pretty clear that a lot of people don't realize just how bad the legal position is for Android, and how bad the Google/Moto deal looks to the other vendors. Yes, it is THAT bad. It really is. Quite frankly, I have a feeling that this whole mess is some panic move by Leo to set HP up to license to these vendors and to make sure they don't have any product out there to compete against. It seems they want to do what Android has been doing.
    Who would do the TV/Movie/Music Deals? HP? They seem to want out of the consumer business. You need all that besides an appstore to be viable. With Google, HTC and Samsung don't have to worry about that end. It's not just licensing the OS, you need all the other parts
    nappy likes this.
  12. #112  
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    I'm one of those weird people who think what you just said sounds wrong...
    I changed it to just say "guy". I still stand by the fact that he looks delusional holding that Superman lunch box telling how cool he was.
  13. sj4231#AC's Avatar
    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #113  
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Here is what we have so far if you think of all this in a logical and money making way.

    HP is getting out of hardware except printers. Hardware is loosing money.
    HP is holding onto WebOS for a reason. Another hardware maker?
    HP took a hit of 20% stock lose. See future gains? Where? Printers can't talk to printers. Enterprise will only go so far. They need to control the cloud. Back to hardware that needs that cloud. Another hardware manufacture?
    We know webOS could be used to run on many different products. IE appliances, smart TVs vehicles, home automation. Something big seems to be going on here.
    Samsung has been in talks with HP. They make most of the products we use today. Imagine if they could get everything they make to talk to each other and have access to all your information in the cloud. They will have realtime feedback.

    As I said it all comes down to money. If we start thinking in this manor we have something. There is no way HP, Samsung or any other wants to die off in this competitive market. Everyone is looking for that one thing that will make customers want only their product.
    You pose a very important question (and answer it very nicely): why is HP holding on to Webos? I agree that they are trying to license it (they think of themselves now as software company) and either they are in talks with a prospect or they have handled the solicitation of it very poorly.
    Last edited by sj4231; 08/22/2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: to modify my ability for pointing out the obvious
    I used to believe in HP
  14. Dazo's Avatar
    Posts
    125 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts
    #114  
    Not denying what you're saying, you're right. But at the same time, this was before El Goog's acquisition of Motorola. El Goog may be doing less biz w HTC/Samsung, and/or they may be putting more stringent rules for using Android.
    But idk, simply throwing in my 2 cents.
    Of course, like most people who read these forums, I would like the original post to be true. But I'm not holding my breath.
  15. #115  
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I changed it to just say "guy". I still stand by the fact that he looks delusional holding that Superman lunch box telling how cool he was.
    Thank you.

    You say he looked delusional in a picture where Precentral photoshopped a lunchbox into his hands because the frontpage article was about HP wanting to sit "at the cool kids' table"? OK.

    And yeah, I do think it was sort of delusional to say that HP was trying to become 'cool'. But what should he have said? "We will try to remain nondescript, square and boring in order to deter as many customers as possible"?

    I think what's really asking for ridicule is the fact that HP is doing their damndest to get out of the consumer space only half a year after HP wanted to become "cool" in the consumer space. Kinda shows how far ahead HP is thinking. Unless they have a few things up their sleeve that we don't know about. Of which there is no evidence, by definition, because "we don't know about" it.
  16. #116  
    If ever again we see a guy coming at us with that look and holding a Superman lunchbox, run.

    Hindsight is 20/20 but we should have figured that out from the quotes that went with the lunchbox. People could not believe the ship was sinking and so left empty spots on the lifeboats. Even when it was listing hard, they said, the Titanic can't be sinking. The band is still playing.
    sinsin07 likes this.
  17. #117  
    There are two factors that do not seem to be discussed.

    1. Manufacturing product. Though a lot of Asian manufacturers are end to end of production, many are not. HP made all those TP somewhere, which could be available, even in an interim, under arrangement, to just keep manufacuring them with some other Log, maybe even "p4lm" if it could be bought. So getting started, or even continuing, could be pretty quick.

    2. As with the fundraising for internals, and the fantastic support of many other developers, the webOS community, with far less aps, has a better catalog in this phase of development. I heard suggested that HP should just buy Internals [ Rob would love that] but some with the right marketing sense, and a real appreciation of what webOS can offer, could assemble these creative and dynamic and really nice people and blast all the other catalogs out of the water. The flexibility of webOS, the individuals that support it, give it a long term advantage.

    So how about adding that to the discussion.

    I for one, hated Apple after I realized how locked down it was in the 80s and moved on to the freedom of PC. Unfortunately I met the biggest control freak there and due to work and personal issues, never fell in love, but kept experimenting with a computers potential with hardware and software as a novice. Until Palm and all its predecessors and ancestors. I dabble in Linux but found that the "spirit" of that became webOS really drew me and even as a neophite, I could probe and experiment and revel at real people doing great work and being generous about it.

    I would sincerely like to have that spirit and all the great developers find a home that appreciates them. It really is not too late. It is still early in this game and there is a lot that we do not know yet. Too many unanswered questions.
    PalmV - Kyo 6035 - 7135 - 650 - 700wx - pre+clocked - pre+2.1 mod - and no Pre3 time to get a Pre2?

    June 19 - 8:45am - early order Touchpad. Love it! Used fire sale refund to get another. Rest paid for all accessories. Trying to teach the wife to love it.

    support WebOs internals!
  18. #118  
    Does Apple Make its primary money on hardware, or on the iOS ecosystem?

    The answer to that question may help you all understand HP's decision process better.
  19. fwinst's Avatar
    Posts
    715 Posts
    Global Posts
    891 Global Posts
    #119  
    Quote Originally Posted by narcoleptic View Post
    How exactly is the hardware holding back webOS? They're falling into the trap that every Android tablet manufacturer is in now: 'Just add cores, it'll be better! The next tablet around the corner will solve all your problems!'

    Seems like it is a cop out, make what you have work. Throwing more hardware at it isn't a solution.
    They might not be talking about the processor as much as the thickness/plasticky thing many complained about.
  20. #120  
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Seriously?

    You ever own a Pre? Pretty sure I know the answer to that one.

    And the Touchpad came out after the iPad 2. It's "thick," "heavy," one camera, no video out, smudge-prone, etc.

    P.S. You have a point. Hardware's not the *only* thing holding it back, but to say that it's *not* holding it back is silly.

    P.P.S. REALLY hope this rumor is true! Especially considering how fast Samsung can whip out bomb hardware!
    I had a first Sprint pre. Now I have a gsm pre2. I don't find anything wrong with this phone. Honestly, I don't find anything wrong with the TP hardware. It is thinner than my Nook Colour... Anyway, Samsung was able to get their second tablet out VERY fast. It would be very great to have Samsung produce TP2.

    the TP software is burdened with excessive 'calling home'. Logging. Turning this off via prepare speeds up the device much more than the overclock. My view so far.

    HP was sick of delays and rejections of palm hardware division products. There were two slab phones almost ready then dropped due to delays. [ this from a discussion on reddit ]
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions