Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    But I think you are missing one important question: Why would Samsung, HTC, etc choose webOS OVER Windows Phone? .
    Perhaps Nokia's partnership with Microsoft. It's not a crazy idea to think the big Asian companies may be interested in a webOS alliance if HP said they wouldn't compete on hardware.

Google + Moto
    MS + Nokia
    Apple
    RIM
    HP + Samsung/HTC etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by narcoleptic View Post
    How exactly is the hardware holding back webOS?
    Hardware is fine. Dual core CPU @1.2GHz and 1GB of RAM shouldn't be a bottleneck.

It only have sense if they meant that investments in hardware was lowering investments in software thus hardware holding back webOS.
    Last edited by chalx; 08/21/2011 at 01:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finally Pre View Post
    Because WebOS will easily work/adapt to any product, not just phones or pads.
    There's nothing stopping Microsoft from adapting WP7 to other platforms other than Microsoft themselves. webOS is not magical in this respect--I think the difficulties in getting phone webOS apps running on the TouchPad outside of the emulation windows proves this.

The more we get a look underneath the covers at webOS, the more I'm seeing some rot. I don't think webOS was EVER the product that was being sold to us.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    if htc or sammy makes a slab type 4.3" webos phone ill be coming back asap. i wouldn't hold my breath though guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by clay333 View Post
    why doesn't google just go ahead and purchase webOS? I can see it happening. I love my new touchpad even tho I am a true android fan. But could you imagine the functionality of Android combined with the sleekness of webOS? Cards and widgets on the homescreens, the sleek HP style notifications, and then HTC sense on top of it. That would be my dream phone/tab.
    it's rumored google will buy it and incorporate it into android.
    Quote Originally Posted by fixxxer1022 View Post
    it's rumored google will buy it and incorporate it into android.
    That would probably put a big smile on the face of Matias Duarte.
    While not an android guy, this would make me switch in an instant. As long as they leveraged its advantages and didn't just file it in with the rest of the patents I'd be happy. They'd probably get a great deal on it as well.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    But I think you are missing one important question: Why would Samsung, HTC, etc choose webOS OVER Windows Phone? WP has a ton more apps, a larger ecosystem, and a desktop OS that compliments it.

Unless HP is undercutting MS, I don't see how webOS is going to look more appealing than Windows Phone.

I have been looking into this - as far as I can can find out the unit cost of a WP7 license is $15 (part of the cost is an indemnity in-case anyone sues someone making a WP7 phone for patent violation or the like) - at the earnings call, someone pointed out that to break-even that at $5 a license, they would need to sell 60 million licenses.

So it needs to come in at <$15 to be competitive with WP7 (leaving aside other business variables).
    So far Windows Phone 7 has been received in a very lukewarm fashion. It's just not really selling. I've seen WP7 in action, even with Mango, and I can tell it's a love it or hate it UI. When this whole news went down I looked at it extensively, and I just don't see myself using it. The whole Typography and tiles ruling the interface just puts me off. I suspect that goes for a majority of people, otherwise they would sell as they don't have the hardware issues webOS has had. On the webOS side, the UI has been universally acclaimed, and few knock it, just the performance aspect and lack of apps.

I think it will be interesting to see what the development interest is after HP has sold all of their TouchPads, especially if it's in the 2 million range.
    Tikkanen and GodShapedHole like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jjacobs View Post
    And zero chance they would tie their sales staff for six hours, especially after this clusterf###.
    Imagine if everything in the opening post is true:
    * The VP's had no idea what was going on but this one rep does.
    * The plan is so complicated that it takes 6 hours to explain.
    * Best Buy schedules 6 hour staff training sessions on Saturday mornings.
    * Best Buy discontinued all HP mobile devices the rep still came.
    * HP is in talks with both HTC and Samsung to license webOS to them.

Best case they announce now that they will begin developing webOS phones. Even Samsung or HTC phone take 18 months to go from concept to delivery. So that will be February 2013.

Samsung is selling every Galaxy S II they can make (2 million a month). HTC sets one record after another every month with their Android phones. They just got the backing of 25,000 new patents.

Instead they are going to split their efforts between Android and webOS? To release a webOS phone in 2013?
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    whoever buys webos... they know it will be next to impossible to get developers on board.
    This. What hardware manufacturer is going to want to use webOS on their device after this whole mess of the last 2+ years? Granted we just saw hundreds of thousands of TouchPads fly off the shelves, but if they can't garner an interest around the platform, its not so appealing.

But boy do I hope anything happens to keep it alive. Android sucks. Widgets are pointless. And I'm no Steve Jobs kind of guy. WP7 is my only other option at this point.
    According to the front page, downloads are spiking through the roof, and Precentral is apparently getting inundated with people. If HP had done a long sale at $300 per 16GB TP, they would have likely sold a boat load (everyplace that sold them at that price a couple of weeks ago sold out), so maybe there is plenty of interest. We'll see.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    There's nothing stopping Microsoft from adapting WP7 to other platforms other than Microsoft themselves. webOS is not magical in this respect--I think the difficulties in getting phone webOS apps running on the TouchPad outside of the emulation windows proves this.

The more we get a look underneath the covers at webOS, the more I'm seeing some rot. I don't think webOS was EVER the product that was being sold to us.
    Not so sure about the rot mate. Whilst I don't have an interesting application for any tablet..I've found mine to be snappy not buggy. It runs flash fine and multitasks ok....early days though.

I wonder what the experience with Pre3's has been in the early days.
    Quote Originally Posted by pangi View Post
    Not so sure about the rot mate. Whilst I don't have an interesting application for any tablet..I've found mine to be snappy not buggy. It runs flash fine and multitasks ok....early days though.

I wonder what the experience with Pre3's has been in the early days.
    after five days using my Pre3, I am delighted, best phone ever had (this includes several androids, pre2, iphones).

obviously the major drawback currently is the lack of apps(and preware patches) for obvious reasons as webos 2.2.0 is brand new.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dearthoir View Post
    after five days using my Pre3, I am delighted, best phone ever had (this includes several androids, pre2, iphones).

obviously the major drawback currently is the lack of apps(and preware patches) for obvious reasons as webos 2.2.0 is brand new.
    Now they are selling it for @60 - are they giving you a refund of the difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by falconrap View Post
    According to the front page, downloads are spiking through the roof, and Precentral is apparently getting inundated with people. If HP had done a long sale at $300 per 16GB TP, they would have likely sold a boat load (everyplace that sold them at that price a couple of weeks ago sold out), so maybe there is plenty of interest. We'll see.
    The TouchPad failed on one spec: price.

If HP would have done that crazy $299 coupon for one weekend at all retailers they would have sold out at $299.

But in the end Leo thought he was one of the cool kids. He thought that if he had a Spiderman lunchbox he could sit at the full price table.

He just looked like a delusional guy.

Apotheker: HP to ship products within weeks of announcement, wants to sit at the cool kids table

“I hope one day people will say ‘this is as cool as HP,’ not ‘as cool as Apple’.”

“HP will stop making announcements for stuff it doesn’t have. When HP makes announcements, it will be getting ready to ship.”
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/22/2011 at 09:49 PM.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think it's because most people at HP are software and IT guys and they think that people think like them "wow the GUI is great", "multitasking is great" where as a normal person simply says "are you on drugs? I could get an ipad for this price" and so they did.
    What happened to the guys who wanted to port webOS to another phone? Now is the time to try that with version 3.0, since HP took out the gesture area, it should be much easier to port it to a phone with better specs, but on the same chipset. Also, since HP mentioned maybe rewriting webOS for other chipsets, that would allow more opportunities to port to other phones, maybe iPhone? How about it webOS internals? Think it's possible?

And now that webOS tablets have finally made it to the masses, many who have no clue what webOS is, this is when the Homebrew community can really shine. I think we need to have a telethon to support our guys!!!
    I read somewhere that some potential hardware licensees were hesitant because WebOS had been built so far for Qualcomm silicon.

Well, after perusing the list here... Comparison of Android devices - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'd say the more Qualcomm-centric handset makers at least from what I can tell are HTC and... SONY. Only reason I bring it up as I'd see these manufacturers having fewer hurdles to jump over if they wanted to, you know, retool one of their existing handsets to run WebOS
    White Z10, Touchpad 16GB [Retired: Pre 3, Pre 2, Pixi Plus, Pre Plus]
    Back on a BlackBerry after 2 1/2 years with WebOS.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
    Yes, the info about the hardware platform restraining what developers could do has been known:

AppleInsider | HP ran its webOS SDK on iPad 2, hopes to license it as mobile web app tool
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast