Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree130Likes
    I had considered the Beats Audio dealbefore all of this began. Seemed really ironic that HP would let their beats go so easily. I wonder if the HTC investment was a good faith display. It was one of HP's big differentiating points. Here's to hoping!
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    I had considered the Beats Audio dealbefore all of this began. Seemed really ironic that HP would let their beats go so easily. I wonder if the HTC investment was a good faith display. It was one of HP's big differentiating points. Here's to hoping!
    I think it's MUCH more likely that HP let Beats go because... well... you know... they're GETTING OUT OF THE HARDWARE BUSINESS.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    NoICon likes this.
    No one will pick it up. It's own parent company doesn't want it that doesn't look well to any potential buyer. Android for the most part is free, windows is dumping tons of money to keep their OS alive. Htc and Samsung both appear to be happy with android and both can fall back on Windows phone. But as a past Hawkeye myself, good to see another one around!
    whilst I would love this to be true, I seriously cannot believe anyone talking about webOS right now,especially when associated with HP.

Still, like everyone else, get excited hearing about anything about webOS. Saw a teaser trailer for Samsung phone coming out which they don't show you device or mention what OS...just wishful thinking and just another Droid?
    If this were really widely enough known for it to be discussed at a BB training, one of the disgruntled hardware coders who are about to be fired would have leaked it.
    Well, HP announced they wanted to get into the servives business. It helps to have an ecosystem to go along with those services.

Here is how I've come to terms with it: HP has decided it doesn't want to compete with Apple and Blackberry and has instead decided to compete with Microsoft and Google.
    Here's my take:

HP's biggest decision in last few days was NOT to stop making webOs hardware. They were most likely mostly concentrating on their decision NOT to make ANY hardware.

Once they felt comfortable with that part, they had to consider what to do with touchpad developement. It's obviously hardware, so do they just keep that piece or rid themselves of it all? We know what they chose.

But I'm guessing the webOs issue wasn't thought all the way through until they were sure they were splitting off of their pc hardware business which was probably somewhat of a secret.

As far as the pc side first, I can't say I dispute their decision. I have a desktop I haven't turned on in 6 months. I have 2 laptops and was going to get a tablet in a yr or so once it could reasonably replace my laptop for MOST things. How many of you are dying to by another HP desktop? It's all about the cloud and more mobility. HP feels that way.

They chose therefore to dump even the small webOs hardware piece too without putting together the next pieces since they had just gotten through the whole decision making process on each part. Now, for a up and coming OS that was a distant 3rd, it could spell death. I think we all agree. All they would have had to do was figure out the replacement (HTC... Samsung) BEFORE they let it go and it be change, but not NEARLY AS BIG A DEAL in my opinion. It would have shown a future.

Now this may still be the case, but its the HOW it was handled that may cause webOs to die off. What a shame. I'm an optimist,though. Maybe it will be only a couple of wekleks and webOs will have a new license future and devs (those left) may breath a sigh of relief and move forward.

Up side is there will be a LOT of webOs users that will be out there in the short term. Can that spurt of interest (advertising as HP is calling it) carry it through until there is a new product? Probably not, but you never know. These guys have android tablets now. How hard could it be to slap webOs on it and get SOMETHING OUT to keep the ball moving forward? Time will tell. That's my opinion, geoworks.
    Last edited by Spitfire11; 08/20/2011 at 09:28 PM.
    cobrakon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Seriously?

You ever own a Pre? Pretty sure I know the answer to that one.

And the Touchpad came out after the iPad 2. It's "thick," "heavy," one camera, no video out, smudge-prone, etc.

P.S. You have a point. Hardware's not the *only* thing holding it back, but to say that it's *not* holding it back is silly.

P.P.S. REALLY hope this rumor is true! Especially considering how fast Samsung can whip out bomb hardware!
    I've had a Pre Plus, and currently have a Pre 2. About the only thing I've found lacking was the camera.

I've also had a original iPhone, and my wife has a 3GS. I have an original iPad, which was given to my kids after I bought my TouchPad. I've handled and used a iPad 2.

I'm not making these comments from a position of not knowing (or ignoring) what else there is in the market.

You really don't want Samsung as a hardware manufacturer. A large amount of their Android phones are terrible and do not receive much support. Ask Moment or original Galaxy owners about Samsung. While there was a good amount of carrier pushed apps on those phones, stupendous decisions like a proprietary file system that caused hangs are the tip of the iceberg. Don't think for a minute that Samsung wouldn't try it with a webOS phone.
    ArloBigwater likes this.
    @ iowahawk19

really does make sense to me...why spends billions on paying celebrities for 30 seconds of TV time telling people how great WebOS is when you can save people money & let them try for themselves & decide!
    HP has the broad shoulders financially to make this decision thankfully
    what's very odd after thinking about it... Why would HP blow out this soon? Really, 24 hrs? I don't think anyone would do that.

Quote Originally Posted by icstars989 View Post
    No one will pick it up. It's own parent company doesn't want it that doesn't look well to any potential buyer. Android for the most part is free, windows is dumping tons of money to keep their OS alive. Htc and Samsung both appear to be happy with android and both can fall back on Windows phone. But as a past Hawkeye myself, good to see another one around!

Ah you are very wrong on this point, in fact MS is making more off android handset royalties than WP7 itself.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    Quote Originally Posted by narcoleptic View Post
    I've had a Pre Plus, and currently have a Pre 2. About the only thing I've found lacking was the camera.

I've also had a original iPhone, and my wife has a 3GS. I have an original iPad, which was given to my kids after I bought my TouchPad. I've handled and used a iPad 2.

I'm not making these comments from a position of not knowing (or ignoring) what else there is in the market.

You really don't want Samsung as a hardware manufacturer. A large amount of their Android phones are terrible and do not receive much support. Ask Moment or original Galaxy owners about Samsung. While there was a good amount of carrier pushed apps on those phones, stupendous decisions like a proprietary file system that caused hangs are the tip of the iceberg. Don't think for a minute that Samsung wouldn't try it with a webOS phone.

You do over the past week that Gingerbread the latest UI has been leaked for all the galaxy s phones. Also it isn't Samsung fault that thier phones are hard to upadte its carriers. The Galaxy S was a great phone but every carrier asked for a different varient of it instead of just keeping the original

The Galaxy S 2 and the Tab 10 blow any of the hardware that Webos was running on.
    I think I got this.
    - Everyone from the VP's down had no idea what was going on.
    - But one rep knows the plan to have Samsung and HTC make their phones.
    - It is so complicated that it takes 6 hours to explain.
    - Best Buy schedules 6 hour staff training sessions on Saturday mornings.
    - Even though Best Buy discontinued all HP mobile devices the rep still came.

You know, I can Think Beyond. I am a Cub fan and a Bear fan. I want to believe.

I believe.
    Last edited by milominderbinder; 08/20/2011 at 09:36 PM.
    Global Posts
    234 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by iowahawk19 View Post
    The HP rep said the 'fire sale' was not the original plan but that losses are being considered advertising expenses. "Once you use webOS we believe you won't want to use anything else." Estimated 2 million TP would sell in the 'fire sale.'
    Then why didn't most Best Buy's participate in the Fire Sale and instead choose to ship them back to HP, especially if they were privileged to this 6 hour insider meeting?
    Well they just now started the firesale. The delay was b/c of the meeting? hahaha OK now I'm just grasping at strawls.... What else is a webOS fan to do but dream.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Well, HP announced they wanted to get into the servives business. It helps to have an ecosystem to go along with those services.

Here is how I've come to terms with it: HP has decided it doesn't want to compete with Apple and Blackberry and has instead decided to compete with Microsoft and Google.
    HP is getting into the enterprise services business. That has nothing to do with "ecosystems" as we're thinking of them with smartphone platforms.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  17. AZ8
    Why would they take a risk and purchase an OS that looks like this?

Editorial: Google, Microsoft and the incredible shifting mobile landscape - Engadget
    HTC 4.3 slab FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by icstars989 View Post
    Except that Apple is suing the hell out of Samsung for patent infringements. If Samsung were to go webOS, Apple probably couldn't touch them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Except that Apple is suing the hell out of Samsung for patent infringements. If Samsung were to go webOS, Apple probably couldn't touch them.
    Freaking Apple. First they sued MS for a concept that they stole themselves. Now they are going after other tablet makers like they came up with the concept of a flat device with a touchscreen that runs programs and stuff.

Really starting to hate those guys.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast