Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by reid-o View Post
    I guess if they won't allow us to sign in or create a profile, our next bet is metadoctor?
    The serial number would have to be faked, I don't think this is legal. Best bet is to hope for HP removing the sn from the demo units database, as someone said above.
    Since most retailers that sell demo units as-is with zero return/refund policies, I would think HP would "unlock" these units as mystik suggested above.

Otherwise, I would like to believe that HP would replace the demo unit with a regular unit.
    I see pandas.
    HP told me to take my demo unit back to the store I got it from. Luckly I was able to snag another from bestbuy.com this morning before they sold out.
    I don't want to ignore the device on this forum, and for the record, I wouldn't have purchased this had I known about the issue. The HP chat service said this:

9:18 AM Vicky:
    I am afraid to say that you will not be able to login to palm profile on your demo version.
    9:18 AM Reid:
    Is that a hardware issue?
    9:19 AM Vicky:
    You will have to get in touch of the point of purchase to skip the HPweb os account.
    9:19 AM Vicky:
    Yes, its a hardware limitation

I'm going to wait a bit till the retail division opens, since the Radio Shack is literally 2 houses down from me. I appreciate everyone's help. It's not definitive evidence however, but it claims that there is a hardware issue, which goes beyond just a serial number. Like I said, I'm just reporting and this has not been confirmed. This is just their Tier 1 support, which i must say is much better than Dell's (speaking to someone halfway around the world).
    well i work at radioshack and bought a demo unit from another store that still had it sealed in the box. We were issued memo from corporate we could sell the demo. Now today another memo posted that the demo was not sellable as it had problems being used normally. Im still waiting for HP to open tomorrow because as far as i can tell its not a hardware issue. I was signed in to my wifi and facebook before i did the webOS doctor fix to get rid of the demo OS. Now im stuck in the create a profile portion. Its definitely a block on the s/n.

*By the way we have a 30 day price match so if you bought it from RS in the last month go get your money.
    I'll do the same as well, but I may have trouble contacting HP in time. If you have success, please update.
    So, perhaps I am just being optimistic since I got a demo model yesterday, but I call shennanigans on there being a hardware issue keeping the demo models from working normally. Why would they bother putting 32 gb hard drives in demo models if they were going to create different hw specifically for demos? Anyway, I'm pretty sure I can't even justify returning mine for the price I paid, so if HP decides to not allow demo serial numbers to register, then I'll happily wait for touchdroid!
    Same trouble here. Hopefully HP will activate the demo units. I chatted with support for over an hour today and in the end, the guy said to call back in a few days. He had no idea what to do with the demo unit.
    I imagine bypassing the palm profile wouldn't be too bad, though all the synergy related features would be busted. It's possible on a phone so I'm sure it's possible on a tablet too. We just need one of those clever WebOS Internals fellas to show us how to do it with the metadoctor.
  10. 44
    I, like others, panicked and picked up a demo unit. I got mine at an Office Max. The store manager made it pretty clear that all sales were final and returns would not be accepted, he even wrote it on the receipt. So far I have browsed the web and setup a Gmail email account. Assuming some of us get stuck with the demo units, I have a couple of questions.
    1) If Android does get ported to this HP Touchpad, the fact that these are demo units would be of no concern. Is this correct or incorrect.
    2) If there is no way to make a WebOS account on these tablets, what functionality is being lost?
    3) Is there some way to workaround whatever the lost functionality is?

I will also try calling HP early this week to see about unlocking or swapping my unit. I will post back any useful info. If someone find a better discussion thread than this one please put a link to it.

Thanks
    i didnt exactly panic. i just saw the price and tested the demo we had and made sure everything worked. signed in to facebook, gmail, and tested all the settings and it worked. Now were dealing with the serial number bs. Im pretty sure its not a hardware issue. If it was it wouldnt have worked. signing in to a webOS account is a program. I plan on keeping mine and if HP wont work with me i'll have to abandon the webOS, which i wanted to try again since i did have the original PRE on sprint. Im pretty sure with a few tweaks i can get Android on here, id just really really prefer the webOS. Ill keep ya updated as im trying to use our corporate to get in touch with HP as we sold all but one of our demos.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    Im in the same boat,got a demo from radioshack. I think i may have scored a retail unit from BB so i may just take the demo back or keep it for an android hack. Ill be watching this thread closely
    I think it was mighty white of HP to "pre brick" these demos for us. I bought one thinking a simple wipe would take care of it. Silly me. I'll be watching this thread also.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh0mpu5 View Post
    Thats because the Serial Numbers are Tied to Demo units , hence no accounts can be created on them.
    Seriously, HP is such a weird company. I've only seen one TouchPad demo unit here in Germany, but that one did have a profile account, registered to an email address of the Media Markt store I found it in.
    So the demo units in America and the ones in Germany work differently. Why? Unstreamlined stuff like this just always kills me because it tells a story of multiple people doing the same job at the same time albeit in different places. It's just so terribly inefficient. Too many cooks spoil the broth.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Seriously, HP is such a weird company. I've only seen one TouchPad demo unit here in Germany, but that one did have a profile account, registered to an email address of the Media Markt store I found it in.
    So the demo units in America and the ones in Germany work differently. Why? Unstreamlined stuff like this just always kills me because it tells a story of multiple people doing the same job at the same time albeit in different places. It's just so terribly inefficient. Too many cooks spoil the broth.
    well i bought a sealed demo unit that was never put on display. when turned on and charged it had a webOS account already loaded on it and you could access the market. When i used webOS doctor to get rid of demo portion thats when i got stuck. Its definitely not a hardware issue if everything was working before... i cant wait to hear what bs HP gives me tomorrow when i call. Maybe theyll unlock the demo serials since they discontinued the hardware, why would they want them. Or let us send it in for another unit. I really dont want to return as all radioshacks are sold out everywhere in tx, a few still have the demos.
    just spoke with a hp support guy that said the account server is beig beat to hell and constantly crashing. He said he had not heard anything about the demo s/n being locked and i should keep trying. Dont know if he was BSing or what but thats what i just got. Has ANYONE with a demo got theirs operational once the webOS doctor was run. or has anyone with a non demo tablet not been able to create a profile?
    Last edited by arrocha87; 08/21/2011 at 08:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by arrocha87 View Post
    just spoke with a hp support guy that said the account server is beig beat to hell and constantly crashing. He said he had not heard anything about the demo s/n being locked and i should keep trying. Dont know if he was BSing or what but thats what i just got. Has ANYONE with a demo got theirs operational once the webOS doctor was run.
    guys i figured out a fix...here is my post about it. Touchpad demo mode | Page 5 | webOSroundup

i just need to upload the updated devicetool.jar i created and you guys with demos can use it just wont be able to download from the app store.
    to support what the support guy told me...

Server problem: When the server cannot create an HP webOS Account due to an outage or other interruption, a link to hpwebos.com/support and an error message appear. After the wireless network connection is restored, wait a few minutes, select Back, and try again.
    Quote Originally Posted by arrocha87 View Post
    to support what the support guy told me...

Server problem: When the server cannot create an HP webOS Account due to an outage or other interruption, a link to hpwebos.com/support and an error message appear. After the wireless network connection is restored, wait a few minutes, select Back, and try again.
    The whole irony of this for me is that the HP tier 1 support member belittled the Radio Shack employee as being misinformed.
    Last edited by reid-o; 08/21/2011 at 08:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chekz View Post
    guys i figured out a fix...here is my post about it. Touchpad demo mode | Page 5 | webOSroundup

i just need to upload the updated devicetool.jar i created and you guys with demos can use it just wont be able to download from the app store.
    I tried that last night and had an error from a missing image file.
    Please upload.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast