Results 1 to 10 of 10
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By wynand32
  • 1 Post By LCGuy
  • 1 Post By nappy
  1.    #1  
    The volume of interest this firesale is getting is absolutely ridiculous, even if half of the slickdeals viewers can get their hands on a touchpad, you would have a formidable user base. The question is how many did hp make?

    http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/57140
  2. #2  
    Okay, folks, this is getting silly. The userbase of a discontinued product line is not valuable to anyone. The only thing this whole fire sale is saying about the TouchPad is that people saw value in it ONLY when it sold at hundreds of dollars below cost. That is NOT a glowing recommendation for the platform.

    There are 100+ million iOS users and 100+ million Android users, and WP7 remains a platform that its manufacturer continues to pour resources into. webOS is an interesting little operating system with one strength (nice multitasking) but that has utterly failed in the market and has a non-existent ecosystem. No other company is going to look at a million or so webOS users in this context, most of whom came from a fire sale, and think it's worth investing in.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    mojo-filter likes this.
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Okay, folks, this is getting silly. The userbase of a discontinued product line is not valuable to anyone. The only thing this whole fire sale is saying about the TouchPad is that people saw value in it ONLY when it sold at hundreds of dollars below cost. That is NOT a glowing recommendation for the platform.

    There are 100+ million iOS users and 100+ million Android users, and WP7 remains a platform that its manufacturer continues to pour resources into. webOS is an interesting little operating system with one strength (nice multitasking) but that has utterly failed in the market and has a non-existent ecosystem. No other company is going to look at a million or so webOS users in this context, most of whom came from a fire sale, and think it's worth investing in.
    I believe that you are wrong, and here is why:

    Those users, once they try WebOS will be hooked, and want another WebOS device.

    The 3million existing/past WebOS users, plus the, say, 1 million new ones I predict from this weekend (they sold 350,000 in less than 24 hours, so, Im just guestimating), will breed more interest in an OS that is, by far, the best Mobile OS out there, and is ripe to grow, in the hands of a company that sees that potential.

    You obviously don't know how AutoCad, a $4k CAD program built thier userbase in the 80's: they knew it was being bootlegged like crazy for years, but never did anything about it. $4k was alot of money for a small frim to spend, but a bootlegged version was great, and many firms built their business around it, and it went from being an elite/special program to common and and industry standard in a matter of 3 years, because of that.

    THEN, they started to go after the illegal users, with fines.

    The point is, your logic is flawed, given the reality of this scenario, alone.

    Get them into users hands, make them owners, and it will grow on its own.

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

    kjb86 likes this.
  4. #4  
    First, I highly doubt there are more than 2 million webOS users total. However, nobody knows, so...

    If someone were to license webOS TODAY, it would take a minimum of 12 months to roll out a new device. That means 12 months without new sales, without new customers, with a dwindling user base as people see the great apps and such available on other platforms and dump webOS. Any company looking at webOS right now will see that as well, along with the fact that two companies over more than two years were unable to make webOS even marginally successful. They'd have the added example of HP needing to blow $100 million to dump the remaining TouchPad stock.

    You're assuming that webOS is so awesome in spite of the lack of a viable ecosystem that all of these new users are going to just love it. The last two years have proven that this isn't true--there are a handful of people who are fine with what's built into the OS and what few apps there are for the platform, but the market has proven that people demand apps and cloud services that webOS has never supported.

    Finally, the other platforms won't be standing still. webOS has one remaining strength--multitasking--but other platforms have pretty much caught up with it everywhere else. And by this time next year when a new webOS device were to be released, we'd be looking at iOS 6 and Android 5, along with who knows what kind of awesome hardware and ecosystems.

    No, I'm sorry, but webOS is dead. Probably, it never really had a chance, but we'll never know.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I believe that you are wrong, and here is why:

    Those users, once they try WebOS will be hooked, and want another WebOS device.

    The 3million existing/past WebOS users, plus the, say, 1 million new ones I predict from this weekend (they sold 350,000 in less than 24 hours, so, Im just guestimating), will breed more interest in an OS that is, by far, the best Mobile OS out there, and is ripe to grow, in the hands of a company that sees that potential.

    You obviously don't know how AutoCad, a $4k CAD program built thier userbase in the 80's: they knew it was being bootlegged like crazy for years, but never did anything about it. $4k was alot of money for a small frim to spend, but a bootlegged version was great, and many firms built their business around it, and it went from being an elite/special program to common and and industry standard in a matter of 3 years, because of that.

    THEN, they started to go after the illegal users, with fines.

    The point is, your logic is flawed, given the reality of this scenario, alone.

    Get them into users hands, make them owners, and it will grow on its own.


    Nope. They were just bargain hunters. A few might actually become fans but the overwhelming majority will end up trying to hawk it on ebay or set i down after a few days and go back to their iPad or Android tablet. They might just gift it to a friend so they look cool. We're looking at the Sega Dreamcast of tablets.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Nope. They were just bargain hunters. A few might actually become fans but the overwhelming majority will end up trying to hawk it on ebay or set i down after a few days and go back to their iPad or Android tablet. They might just gift it to a friend so they look cool. We're looking at the Sega Dreamcast of tablets.
    I have a Dreamcast somewhere in the closet. Might be time to dig it out. I loved that thing.
  7. #7  
    You know, some homebrew developers still make Dreamcast games. Does that mean the Dreamcast isn't actually dead?
    runukraine likes this.
  8. #8  
    Makes you wonder why they didn't adjust the the fire sale pricing to $199 / $249, right??

    Obviously, the "market value" on ebay is around $200. Why not just sell most of them at that price and then have the real $99 fire sale in a couple weeks??

    I mean....

    Why even TALK about plans to kill the device? Why not just auction off your entire inventory on ebay??

    I only scored because of dataviz on ebay. Had HP simply auctioned off 500,000 ebay auctions starting at $0.01, they would have had far better results and wouldn't have had to kill the platform.

    What a bunch of forktards.
  9. #9  
    Here's one post from slickdeals...

    Quote Originally Posted by lopcheung
    The value of these will not drop under 99 on eBay even if they have 500k. These are better than net books and even digital frames cost more than this. I can use this as a high Rez digital frame and it would be worth it for 99
    I would tend to agree.
  10. #10  
    Correction...

    The original Touchpad thread was retired, so the actual stats are closer to...

    20,000 posts and 6.1 million views.

    Quote Originally Posted by stats from original thread
    RETIRED: HP Touchpad 16gb $99, 32gb $149 from 8/20 ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
    Yesterday 04:20 PM
    tibasnatch
    9,001 posts 2,718,332 views
    Last Post: Today 03:10 AM
    SNESimon
    Greatest deal of all time? Or greatest mismanagement of all time?? BOTH!!!

Posting Permissions