Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    What a crazy week it's been. I am amazed how attached we all get to our devices and software. The biggest shock for me was how much this has affected me. I got my TouchPad two weeks ago and just fell in love with it. When HP pulled the plug, I was distraught... to a much greater extent than I'd have imagined. I immediately took it back as I was in the edge of my return window and spent the next couple days moping around, like my dog had died. I know, it's just a pile of electronics... such deep attachment isn't natural, but it is what it is. I'd become very fond of the comfort and intimacy of curling up with a tablet on the couch.

I went and bought a Toshiba Thrive to take its place. To be honest, it was objectively superior in virtually every way. It was lighter, wide screen, faster, smoother, far more advanced native functionality not to mention a massive app store...and ports for everything. It really was everything my touchpad is and more. But it wasn't my TouchPad. I missed the sturdy, heft of it. I missed webOS. It was "better" but it wasn't what I wanted.

This morning, I returned the Thrive, eating the restock fee, and picked up a new, discounted TP at Wal-Mart. I feel whole again.

I also feel really pathetic. It's bad enough I feel this way but typing it? Posting it?

Hello, my name is Allen and I'm a Palm-oholic. It all started 10 years ago when...
    I know how you feel. I returned mine to costco and the accessories to amazon...and all the discounted tp sold out b4 I could snag one.....

.even this dying Pre2 w sticky buttons won't last long....

gonna look for a new phone. My apps in my sig line will need to be ported to android hopefully w phonegap

Sad day...
    I've been thinking a lot about this phenomenon - I feel like a pet just died, which seems irrational because it's just an appliance, after all.

Most of my sadness has nothing to do with the device though; it's because I've been trying to defend what I saw as a good gizmo all this time. That's a real emotional investment: "The gew-gaws and high performance models are coming soon, just wait".
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Waiting is something we excel at ;-)
    Global Posts
    2,672 Global Posts
    I took mine back right away too, to HHGregg. Then the keyboard and case back to BestBuy. Then I missed it right away. I went home to my iPad 1, and my Asus Transformer. Couldn't bring myself to use them. I finally found a table I would actually use, and I should have just kept it. Now I'm hoping my small city still has 1 somewhere, tucked in a back room. I'm heading out now to investigate.
    Quote Originally Posted by theprawn View Post
    Waiting is something we excel at ;-)
    ya but wft its going to be another 12 months at least... WP7 is looking sexy. Maybe they have gotten calendars right.
    Quote Originally Posted by NickA View Post
    I took mine back right away too, to HHGregg. Then the keyboard and case back to BestBuy. Then I missed it right away. I went home to my iPad 1, and my Asus Transformer. Couldn't bring myself to use them. I finally found a table I would actually use, and I should have just kept it. Now I'm hoping my small city still has 1 somewhere, tucked in a back room. I'm heading out now to investigate.
    Good luck.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    ya but wft its going to be another 12 months at least... WP7 is looking sexy. Maybe they have gotten calendars right.
    That's what I'm using for phone and love it though that's little help in the tablet sector. I just really don't like anything else out there even a little.
    I'm a bit different. After spending 18 months as one of the most enthusiastic webOS supporters, once I discovered how much more I could do with Android I moved on without any qualms. Sure, I've kept up with things in webOS, but mainly as part of my overall tech interests. I've certainly spent as much time keeping up with Android news as I ever did keeping up with webOS.

Now, you'd have to pry my Asus Transformer out of my cold, dead hands. Same with my Motorola Photon. What Android lacks in elegance, it more than makes up for in capabilities. And the Transformer with the keyboard dock is the perfect combination of media consumption tablet and lightweight, 16+ hour battery life, awesome IPS screen netbook. Honestly, even if webOS had all the apps I want and need (and it's not even close), the Transformer by itself would have stopped me from switching back.

Bottom line is, I didn't let my "passion" for webOS overrule my need to be productive and my general desire to have access to the latest and greatest. It's just plain fun to hear about a new app and be able to go to the Market and actually install it--rather than sit there and wish they'd make a webOS version.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I get some of that new app love on my phone, and its definitely nice. I'm glad you found such joy with Android--I never really could. I traded my Android handset for a then Palm handset for a WP7 handset. Honeycomb I just found really disagreeable with my own sensibilities. I generally just use the browser and email client on this thing anyway.
    Wynand! I didn't know you were also on precentral! I remember seeing you unboxing for the Envy 14 Beats Edition before I bought it
    The Original Owner of the AT&T Pre3
    OP,

your title pretty much states the issue.

Unpopular OS due to horrible marketing, the brainwash in general society, and then the failed attempt to deliver quality hardware that is on time for the public attraction. It's quite a shame how it is.

Funny.. Today I saw my box for my original pre, and i thought of how excited i was when i got it, for that long time i looked forward to seeing it in real person and experiencing webOS. It's quite elegant.

Once a user breaks through and see's the potential, it could have taken off hugely.

Just overall bad decision making, timing etc.
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I will have my Pre 2 and Touchpad until there is no life left! (or if a better webOS device magically appears somewhere)

I think that everything about WebOS makes it the drug that it is. The ease of the OS, messing with patches, kernels, reading this forum everyday. The biggest thing is where are you going to find a community like this one? I loved reading what people posted and I have learned so much from so many!

I hope this isn't the end of us. I hope it continues on and there's a light at the end of this dark tunnel!
    jetsetter883 likes this.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    OP,

your title pretty much states the issue.

[...]

Just overall bad decision making, timing etc.
    Yeah, the situation is really sad--especially if you allow yourself to ponder what might have been.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I'm a bit different. After spending 18 months as one of the most enthusiastic webOS supporters, once I discovered how much more I could do with Android I moved on without any qualms. Sure, I've kept up with things in webOS, but mainly as part of my overall tech interests. I've certainly spent as much time keeping up with Android news as I ever did keeping up with webOS.

Now, you'd have to pry my Asus Transformer out of my cold, dead hands. Same with my Motorola Photon. What Android lacks in elegance, it more than makes up for in capabilities. And the Transformer with the keyboard dock is the perfect combination of media consumption tablet and lightweight, 16+ hour battery life, awesome IPS screen netbook. Honestly, even if webOS had all the apps I want and need (and it's not even close), the Transformer by itself would have stopped me from switching back.

Bottom line is, I didn't let my "passion" for webOS overrule my need to be productive and my general desire to have access to the latest and greatest. It's just plain fun to hear about a new app and be able to go to the Market and actually install it--rather than sit there and wish they'd make a webOS version.
    Sounds a lot like me, I just got my photon my android experience switchover happened with the XPRT,I just got the photon this week and i got the dock as well, the web top is nifty, the HDMI is very nice, watching the google movies on the big screen, streamed over 4g that is faster than my overdrive hotspot unit!

That being said, I still have a love for the palm devices, and I will be the owner of 4 touchpads here before long!
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    tbh the hardware will most likely be fine, its the same syndrome u get on all devices/consoles/pc's, once the software is optimised for the hardware all is well, when its not, then all is not well.

The specs arent bad, teh hardwares probably not to fault, the core os probably just lacks optimised code for the platform its sat on, which will also be the case if a new hardware manufacturer was found, same issues, new hardware.
    Just asking, did some of you guys even try using the iPad 2?
    I got the TouchPad because I was interested in webOS and $99 price was impossible to ignore but compared to my sister's iPad 2, it's pretty horrible.
    I don't think Android tablets are any better (if not worse) than TouchPad so I'm curious how exactly you thought the Thrive tablet was better. It was one of the thicker ones from the pack when I tried.
    Quote Originally Posted by dong1225 View Post
    I got the TouchPad because I was interested in webOS and $99 price was impossible to ignore but compared to my sister's iPad 2, it's pretty horrible.
    I don't think Android tablets are any better (if not worse) than TouchPad so I'm curious how exactly you thought the Thrive tablet was better. It was one of the thicker ones from the pack when I tried.
    I tried the ipad2, it was too costly for what it is, I am not in the market for a tablet at their prices. I'd get a laptop.

However I was in the market at $499 or less, and the Androids are there, and they are very good.

Honeycomb 3.2 is very nice, the productivity apps are there, and there is as much or more function than an ipad 2. My tablet could look like a vtech toy for all that matters to me, function is more important.
    Palm Pre- and BB Tour owner/hater
    My girlfriend has the ipad2. It's awesome but not because of the OS. It's awesome because of the apps. I do love the smoothness and snappiness which is something the Touchpad sorely lacks at moments. I just think the cards and the way you can set it up like a desktop and organize your workflow with them is such a unique feature to webOS. It seems like a better thought out platform than iOS but without the finishing touches and of course the apps.
    As I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm loving my Asus Transformer. Works great, has every app I want or need (except Netflix) even if they're not all optimized yet for Honeycomb, the widgets are great, and it performs and feels great. I can't think of a single metrix other than the webOS card multitasking metaphor that makes it "worse" than the TouchPad.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast