Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    So the general consensus is that HP is completely done with WebOS, at least from a hardware standpoint. But they keep saying they'll continue to invest in it and attempt to license it or whatever.

So do you think the Touchpad will see OS updates beyond 3.0.2? Whether via HP or through Homebrew?
    I really doubt it. There's just no incentive for HP to have anything more than a skeleton crew to maintain webOS.
    That's spin. They aren't going to spend any more on it then they absolutely have to.

The homebrew community is your best hope. It's amazing what they come up with sometimes.
    they are claiming continued effort on the webOS side, so it's fair to expect them to keep working on it while they figure out how to recover from this nightmare.
    on monday hp is gonna announce plans to lay off the whole R&D group for webos.
    I feel that they will continue to develop webOS in order to make it attractive to potential companies that want to license the software for their mobile devices especially with all of the uncertainty with Android with google buying Motorola and all of the lawsuits pending against Android.
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaKitty View Post
    on monday hp is gonna announce plans to lay off the whole R&D group for webos.
    you don't know that to be true.

trolling is decidedly uncool
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    you don't know that to be true.

trolling is decidedly uncool
    it was more sarcastic than anything.
    they are claiming continued effort on the webOS side, so it's fair to expect them to keep working on it while they figure out how to recover from this nightmare.
    Since TouchPad launch there is no unified webOS. Now there are phone branch and tablet branch. Do you sincerely think HP will maintain support for webOS2.1 and 3.X pushing new versions and OTA updates.
    They lowered TP price and will give money back to early adopters that way washing hands from any further obligations to TP users. Maybe they release update for Veer and that unlucky Pre2 and that's it.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they get an update out soon just to help in their look for someone to licence it but I doubt much will happen after that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if they get an update out soon just to help in their look for someone to licence it but I doubt much will happen after that.
    Yeah, especially since they probably had at least some fixes already done before the announcement.

I'm still hoping for a Veer update for SMS and Touch-To-Share, but I'm not holding my breath on anything getting better than it is right now.

You also have to take into account company morale. The employees who stick around are probably not going to be very motivated when so many people they know get laid off. And they've basically been told that they're a failure. I don't know about you, but that wouldn't make me want to put in any more effort for my bosses. I'd be spending most of my time looking for a new job.
    I don't doubt they will continue working on WebOS software.

But I seriously doubt they will continue to work on the consumer versions of the software for phone and tablets. Absolutely no practical justification for doing so.
    its fine them saying they will make no further hardware for webOS but will continue to support the software side, but developers/software people need hardware, ironically thats called "Synergy" something webOS should excel at
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    You also have to take into account company morale. The employees who stick around are probably not going to be very motivated when so many people they know get laid off.
    From Monday, most of R&D guys will write their resumes, and that will be only writing they be willing to do.
    You should not expect any updates to the underlying WebOS. At most, HP may keep working on Enyo, but that is different than WebOS.
    They could try to improve webkit and general performance of whole OS if they are planning to sell it at all. Now they have all time on the world.
    Last edited by chalx; 08/20/2011 at 06:07 PM.
    "We will continue to support, innovate and develop the *webOS App Catalog.* Our intent is to enhance our merchandising and presentation of your great products and to continue to build our webOS app ecosystem."

This is cut from the letter they sent to devs.. I hope they continue to work on the OS as a whole and not put focus just on the catalog.
    Actually, I don't think "fair" is the word to use here. A reasonable person will look at how HP has communicated over the last few weeks and have very good reason to doubt their word. One can choose to believe them, sure, but as I tell my kids: "fair" means getting what one deserves. And I don't think HP deserves anyone's continued trust.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    You might see some bug fixes,but I doubt any major fixes/features
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    HP leadership has lost all credibility with me. (newsflash, huh) While some of those who face the public may be telling the truth with words of assurance and saying there will be further development. There's no telling if the direction coming from senior execs is accurate or if they may even change their minds down the road.

I sincerely hope there's a good future for webOS. However, I've accepted the fact I may need to be ready to get used to something different next year.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast