Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes
    I see everything HP management is saying today as a rather transparent attempt to convince some other company to license or buy webOS. That's it. Otherwise, they'd have to admit to their shareholders that they have COMPLETELY wasted the $2 billion + they've spend on the whole fiasco. Personally, I think they're just splitting up the pain, and will wait a quarter or two before announcing that they're completely shutting down the webOS GBU.

Because, of course, I don't believe for a second that any other company has any interest in anything except Palm's patents.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I don't believe there is interested companies in licensing now. HP blew that opportunity. Maybe only Google and Apple for webOS buyout, and even this looks far stretched.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
    "We will continue to support, innovate and develop the *webOS App Catalog.* Our intent is to enhance our merchandising and presentation of your great products and to continue to build our webOS app ecosystem."

This is cut from the letter they sent to devs.. I hope they continue to work on the OS as a whole and not put focus just on the catalog.
    This basically translates to "we will continue to recieve our share from devs app sales until the well dies up".
    Yes, HP are still actively engaging developers to produce software. Many of the apps that were turbo'd into use for the Touchpad were paid for by HP who have signed contracts for those apps to continue being updated.

I do find all the doom sayers entertaining when HP really have been quite clear about their continued work on webOS.
    I can't believe someone just used the term "doomsayers" at this point.
    DrewT3 likes this.
    put me in the boat that we will see at least some updates. As someone already said here, HP needs to keep WebOS up to date in order to attract further buyers (or companies that want to license it).
    It is also possible that webOS is remarkably well positioned as the OS of choice in future cloud based computing environments. HP probably sees no future in traditional PC and laptop markets as applications and data are migrated to the cloud, and concentrating on phones (and tablets) at this time is a major distraction. With Google working on ChromeOS, and others (including Microsoft and Apple) completely missing the boat on that one, HP appears to have it all worked out. HP's server and storage products will be engineered as cloud platforms with webOS on the delivery side of the whole mess.
    Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    put me in the boat that we will see at least some updates. As someone already said here, HP needs to keep WebOS up to date in order to attract further buyers (or companies that want to license it).
    no unfortunatly they dont, as the webOS would be rebuilt anew on different hardware meaning a rewrite anyways, it would just mean more work continueing in potentially 2 directions.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I'm going to guess that there will be an announcement soon about an agreement with one of the major hardware manufacturers going to WebOS devices, and that that agreement was a driving factor behind HP's decision to stop manufacturing/selling hardware so suddenly. They still have those developer conferences on the books etc...
    Casio BOSS->Palm Pilot Professional->Palm M500->Treo 600-> Treo 680->Treo Pro (TP) ->HP Veer<->HP TP<->Pre3<>HP TP 4G
    Conn 6H-> Bach 36->Bach 16L (high Bb plays really flat?(fixed thanks to **** Akright))-> New York Bach 6viii
    Scalpel->Scope->Aesop->Hermes->Sidne->Davinci S>Davinci Si
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I can't believe someone just used the term "doomsayers" at this point.
    No other name for it? People seem to want webOS to die so that their scare mongering prophecies over the last year are proven true. Self-flagellation of the webOS kind.

HP announce no more mobile devices and concentrating on software. And the headlines read "webOS dead"... does not compute.

I know first hand that HP are continuing with webOS development and continued investment in the ecosystem and getting more apps completed through their catalogue.

Read the precentral headlines, they have multiple sources/interviews with HP folk STATING they are fully committed to continuing with webOS.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by noxis View Post

Read the precentral headlines, they have multiple sources/interviews with HP folk STATING they are fully committed to continuing with webOS.
    And what is that worth at this stage? Did they promise to "double down"?

The people they are interviewing are completely out of the loop - they found out that HP was killing hardware via a press release, they are just parroting what they are told while the boys in HRM work out who to fire first.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    no unfortunatly they dont, as the webOS would be rebuilt anew on different hardware meaning a rewrite anyways, it would just mean more work continueing in potentially 2 directions.
    Uh, no it wouldn't. Surely the kernel and drivers would need to be developed for any new device but it's quite likely the upper layers would be relatively unaffected.
  13.    #33  
    so... Lets say HP does license it to someone like samsung... Would it be possible to port that version of webOS to our touchpad? Maybe like how we got webOS 2.0 on the pre-?

I love webOS but there are definitely some issues that need to be resolved.. Like hardware accelerations and fixing the crappy web browser so it loads pages correctly and in the background.
    Insiders say there is one company looking at the HP PC line | SemiAccurate

Just fyi.

It's quite possible; not saying for sure, but, it works as a theory in this situation full of totally irrational corporate behavior.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I am fairly confident that webOS will continue to improve. EVEN if HP axes off all support for webOS we'll still have our loving webOS internals group who do SO much for us and help us in so many ways. I can't thank them enough. Make sure you buy their Homebrew Documentation!

-Toaster
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Enyo apps are scalable, right? So when the new apps come out for the printers, like "Papercounter 2013" optimized for a black and white 240x160 screen, it will run on my Touchpad?
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The people they are interviewing are completely out of the loop - they found out that HP was killing hardware via a press release, they are just parroting what they are told while the boys in HRM work out who to fire first.
    Exactly. You have to consider the track record of the company and the positions of those making the claims. Kerris has no idea what is going on. He has been lied to and deceived and asked to shovel BS for Leo and to board. His choice is to quit or go along and hope his job is spared.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12