Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 12345678 13 53 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes
    bit of a punt i know, but i've bought one from one of the market place sellers on amazon.com - 32gb for $149 (16gb had gone).
    I've bought a shipitto box to get it delivered to (as they don't send out of the US).

Even adding on this plus postage from shipitto, i think i'm going to be getting it for less than they discount to in the UK.

Never used shipitto before but may in future if it works out, will let you know how i get on.
    Quote Originally Posted by ukdoc View Post
    bit of a punt i know, but i've bought one from one of the market place sellers on amazon.com - 32gb for $149 (16gb had gone).
    I've bought a shipitto box to get it delivered to (as they don't send out of the US).

Even adding on this plus postage from shipitto, i think i'm going to be getting it for less than they discount to in the UK.

Never used shipitto before but may in future if it works out, will let you know how i get on.
    I think that you also have to pay the import taxes right?
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    I think that you also have to pay the import taxes right?
    Yeah, HMRC are going to screw you on that one.
    There is no import duty on tablet PCs, you do have to pay 20% VAT though.
    Plus Vat its still 129 (plus shipping), so i reckon still cheaper than i'll get a 32GB for in the uk

(i could be wrong and HP may slash the UK price, but thus far they've continued to screw the UK customer base on a repeated basis (no $50 for Pre minus owners, high prices etc).
    after the USA firesale I went ahead and reserved a couple from argos and whatnot.

The main reason I get the feeling we won't see such a firesale here in the UK, and if we do it'll come from the carphone warehouse, is that most places I've checked listed only a few items in stock. (amazon, for instance, lists only 2 32gb versions in stock)
  6. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,496 Global Posts
    is that most places I've checked listed only a few items in stock.
    It's impossible to work out the stock levels - as soon as someone reserves an item, it disappears from the stock checker for people like argos - so you have no idea how many have already been reserved.

Having said that, since sales were so poor to start with in the UK (100 were sold across the UK in the first week of august), I doubt there is more than 10,000 units floating around.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's impossible to work out the stock levels - as soon as someone reserves an item, it disappears from the stock checker for people like argos - so you have no idea how many have already been reserved.

Having said that, since sales were so poor to start with in the UK (100 were sold across the UK in the first week of august), I doubt there is more than 10,000 units floating around.
    even so I acted quickly after the firesale began in the states, 3 argos' near me listed 2 in stock at each place.

Of course you're right in that they may not be a reliable indicator, but it's just the gut feeling that I get.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,496 Global Posts
    I actually agree with your gut - I doubt individual argos have more than two in stock at any one time, the big variable for me is how many HP themselves have available.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    I actually agree with your gut - I doubt individual argos have more than two in stock at any one time, the big variable for me is how many HP themselves have available.
    currently thats zero, as the 2 TPad types have been pulled from the store ad dont show up in a search anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    currently thats zero, as the 2 TPad types have been pulled from the store ad dont show up in a search anymore.
    That doesn't mean that they don't have any in stock. The US HP website went beserk during the firesale, they could just have decided its not worth maintaining the online store during a firesale or need to make it a little more stable first.

Hard to say really, all just conjecture at this point. We'll see it by wednesday if we see it at all would be my guess.
    Come on HP please. If HP doesn't get a firesale in Uk I'm going for an iPad or wait for e-bay stores to drop the price
    Everyone appears to be out of stock around here too. Carphone warehouse said they had 2 16gb models in stock yesterday and just over 100 that they could order in from the warehouse next day delivery... Doesn't even look like carphone warehouse are holding that much stock!
    I'm coming around to the view that there will be no firesale in the UK: theres just not the kind of stock levels to justify it.

I suspect we will see much more modest discounts, individually set by the dealers as they find the decreased demand.
    I noticed overnight that Australian retailers are having nothing to do with it and just sending stock back. I expect that's what'll happen in the UK.

I want a cheap touchpad dammit!
    Places like Argos will only hold a few of each item in the actual stores, replacements will be brought in from the central warehouse after each purchase so it would be very hard to tell how many are actually in stock anywhere in the Country.

Lets hope that something happens for us poor UK souls
    I noticed overnight that Australian retailers are having nothing to do with it and just sending stock back. I expect that's what'll happen in the UK.

I want a cheap touchpad dammit!
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,496 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
    I'm coming around to the view that there will be no firesale in the UK: theres just not the kind of stock levels to justify it.

I suspect we will see much more modest discounts, individually set by the dealers as they find the decreased demand.
    Thing is, they will take up space and warehousing, so even with the limited stock, I would expect all of the retail groups to be onto HP to ask if they are taking them back or are they going to sub a quick firesale to get rid of the limited stock they have.

HP clearly wants this to go away as quickly as possible, so it will be interesting to see what they authorise.
    For both HPStore and bestbuy.co.uk the TouchPad is no longer availiable to buy. The product pages are still there with full price listed.
    [RUMOR]

HP Touchpad Firesale Starts; HP TouchPad 9.7 inch Tablet PC (16GB, Glossy Black) - UK Version 275 @ N-Genius Limited / Amazon - Page #7 - HotUKDeals

jamesr74 - Aug 22, 2011 10:25
    Just confirmed that the UK price for the Touchpad will be 89 for 16GB and 115 for 32GB. Prices will be communicated to resellers this morning and updated on websites by this afternoon.
    [RUMOR]

HP Touchpad Firesale Starts; HP TouchPad 9.7 inch Tablet PC (16GB, Glossy Black) - UK Version 275 @ N-Genius Limited / Amazon - Page #7 - HotUKDeals

jamesr74 - Aug 22, 2011 10:25
    Just confirmed that the UK price for the Touchpad will be 89 for 16GB and 115 for 32GB. Prices will be communicated to resellers this morning and updated on websites by this afternoon.