Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    I picked up the 16GB version this morning for $99.00! As a former frequent VisorCentral and TreoCentral member I'm psyched to be back with the community.

I did a quick search but I didn't find a good beginners guide to webOS for the TouchPad. Can anyone reply with links?

Also, a link to the most up to date aggregated top apps lists would be helpful as well.

Thanks!
    Titan078 and sooby77 like this.
    Another new owner here and I'd like some help too.
    Things I'd like to do on TouchPad are:
    Tweeting: is Spaz HD really the only free TouchPad optimized twitter app? Why is it so sluggish? (like the rest of the TouchPad I guess..) is Carbon really that better to pay for?

Streaming videos transcoded on the fly: like AirVideo and or StreamToMe on iOS if you guys know those apps. Streaming videos without having to convert first

Basic unzip/unrar support: come on, at least iPad can unzip. Tried to unzip/unrar some files I had and some files I downloaded from internet and it gave me an error along the line of "MIME type not supported" I know what that means but that's a terrible error message to send to most end users. Even "File type not supported" would've been better.

And I don't expect one but if there is, a comic reader would be nice. One that supports zip/rar would be fantastic.

I'm comfortable in jumping into homebrew/system tweaks department so if there are must have tweaks, please let us know too!
    Macflyer likes this.
    give your touchpad a day or so before you say its slow, its synergizing.

Also, Spaz HD is the only Twitter App optimized for the TouchPad.

PlayOn is a good way to stream media to your touchpad but there is no dedicated app, its a webviewer using Flash.

There is ComicShelf HD for comics http://developer.palm.com/appredirec...g.comicshelfhd

I remember that Internalz Pro had mentioned eventually adding support of .zip/.rar but I dont think it has as of yet.
    Last edited by mikevember; 08/20/2011 at 02:50 PM.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Soorma likes this.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    First thing to do is run the update to 3.02. Makes a huge difference. Then Preware can fix anything else from there. Welcome!
    Is there a Preware/ Doctor FAQ for the Touchpad?

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html
    Last edited by barrysanders20; 08/20/2011 at 04:33 PM.
    Also, I dont know if the Box.net app is still available but try and get the 50GB free if you can by downloading the app and logging in or registering in it.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    Quote Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
    Is there a Preware/ Doctor FAQ for the Touchpad?
    Please download "Preware Homebrew Documentation" from the App Catalog. this will give you all the information you need regarding Preware and Homebrew.

You cal also just use the Search function on this site. All the information you seek is here.

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    369 Global Posts
    i have a feeling the servers are going to be bogged down today with all the new activations. i'm going to wait a bit with mine. i'm hoping to be in this for the long haul so i got time.

plus, i had a week hands-on with one from july, so i already know i will like it.
    You'll have to do a little work to get it perfect, but here's my suggestions (from a whole morning messing with my new 32gig touchpad).

1: Update the device fully. This means update once to 3.0, reboot, update again to 3.0.2.

2: Get preware installed. Search the forum for a few easy guides on how to do this.

3: Perform the various speed-up tricks listed here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3027858

I especially recommend the improved touch responsiveness patch listed there, as it really does make a WORLD of difference on quality of use.

4: Install uberkernel and govna from preware, then set it up to utilize the 1.5ghz speed inside govna.

5: Enjoy your super fast updated touchpad.

The list may change as I discover new things to fiddle with. Also, I'll probably be messing around with skins for superNES as well, to make one better suited for the large format on the touchpad.
    Droosh#WN likes this.
    ^-- great advice. Preware seems to be a must to get decent performance out of this. I installed the muffle system logging, remove dropped packet logging, quiet powerd messages, and eom overlord monitoring patches and it's running much better than it did with a stock 3.0.2 build.
    Welcome! We can negative at times, but in general you will find a lot of smart commentary here, as well as a ton of fanaticism.
    Thanks for all the suggestions already, and by Synergizing, I guess you mean the cloud syncing service webOS has? *edit anyway I can find out if "Synergizing" is done? It seems a bit faster now but I'm not sure what changed.

I did find out yesterday that the update improved it to a usable state but after being used to my sister's iPad 2 it still feels slow in many places. Can't complain for the $99 price point though.

When I checked PlayON, they talked about subscription plan, do I have to pay for the service? I'm not even sure if the service is still alive but I used to use Orb web streaming service back in 2008 on my iPod, might have to check that out again too.

Once again, thank you guys so much for the quick and helpful responses, this community is looking great so far!
    the best thing you can all do is learn cross platform programming and hope you can keep the touchpad alive making some apps that run on the ipad/android and as a lucky bonus also the touchpad indirectly.
  14.    #15  
    Gotta say I'm loving this device already. The UI is so clean and simple I'm sure my wife and kids will have no problems.
    I did install the OS update first thing. I then messed around with it a bit and checked out the app store. Only disappointment so far are the relative dearth of native apps that I use regularly on my Android phone. However, this was to be expected and I can cover most of these bases through the browser. I was pleased to see that Flash is supported.

I also find it a bit sluggish when I want it instantly respond to my touch on the screen. I understand that this may clear up over time or with overclocking/tweaking.
    @ncinerate I will do all of your performance tweaks. I'm comfortable installing custom ROMs, kernels, etc. so I should have no problems. Is there any link you guys recommend for any already tweaked ROMs? Has anyone hacked or created a sideloadable Netflix app like they did for unsupported Android devices?

Thanks again! It's great to see that this community is still about the most sincerely helpful and knowledgeable around.
    I'm not sure what exactly happened but the thing is already better then it used to be. I'm more than happy about the $99 purchase I made!
    Will be doing all the tweaks as suggested by @ncinerate and see how far I can crank this baby upto!
    I really wish Graphite had come out for Twitter before this announcement. I've been using Spaz HD, but I really just don't like it. I know it's open-source and anyone can make it better, but it's not really anything specific it does wrong, it's just slow and I just don't like the design of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo-filter View Post
    Deleted folders continue to show up in the picture browser.
    How about try updating to the latest software before complaining?

Believe me, I'm fully aware that the OS needs a ton of work. But I can clearly see by this comment that you haven't updated, because there's a clear way to delete folders after the update.
    Absolutely, updating is a critical first step.

Unfortunately, many new buyers won't be doing this first step, so there's going to be a few hundred thousand annoyed people at various OS quirks until the touchpad decides to update itself .

Much like the palm pre, the touchpad really does shine once it's been tweaked to all hell, but much like the palm pre, the touchpad NEEDS to be tweaked to best enjoy it...

Hopefully it won't be much like the palm pre in it's reliability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Droosh View Post
    Gotta say I'm loving this device already. The UI is so clean and simple I'm sure my wife and kids will have no problems.
    I did install the OS update first thing. I then messed around with it a bit and checked out the app store. Only disappointment so far are the relative dearth of native apps that I use regularly on my Android phone. However, this was to be expected and I can cover most of these bases through the browser. I was pleased to see that Flash is supported.

I also find it a bit sluggish when I want it instantly respond to my touch on the screen. I understand that this may clear up over time or with overclocking/tweaking.
    @ncinerate I will do all of your performance tweaks. I'm comfortable installing custom ROMs, kernels, etc. so I should have no problems. Is there any link you guys recommend for any already tweaked ROMs? Has anyone hacked or created a sideloadable Netflix app like they did for unsupported Android devices?

Thanks again! It's great to see that this community is still about the most sincerely helpful and knowledgeable around.
    Please look into downloading "Preware Homebre Documentation" form the App Catalog. This explains in detail, all you need to know about WOSQI, Preware, Homebrew and test Kernels and Feeds. you will find the process mush easier than Android and much more safe.

Also type in "touchpad" in the search bar of the app catalog. All current optimized apps for the touchpad will populate.

Enjoy!
    Titan078 likes this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast