Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Absolutely, updating is a critical first step.

Unfortunately, many new buyers won't be doing this first step, so there's going to be a few hundred thousand annoyed people at various OS quirks until the touchpad decides to update itself .

Much like the palm pre, the touchpad really does shine once it's been tweaked to all hell, but much like the palm pre, the touchpad NEEDS to be tweaked to best enjoy it...

Hopefully it won't be much like the palm pre in it's reliability.
    Ya when my pre resets and it loses the OC its super frustrating until I realize.
    Quote Originally Posted by mojo-filter View Post
    I imagine there are going to be a lot of posts like this in the future.

The Touchpad does not work that well out of the box. It's buggy as hell in fact. I've owned one for a couple of hours and am already annoyed. Deleted folders continue to show up in the picture browser. Files in the proper format aren't found by the music and video players, even when I added them with HP Play. When I try to reboot, changes I made to how the TP is configured are lost.

How did HP think they could compete with the iPad with a product in this state? Apple's stuff is generally pretty reliable, the iPad has a massive app store, and they are well established as the leader in the market. The incompetence from upper management at HP is just unbelievable.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    How about try updating to the latest software before complaining?

Believe me, I'm fully aware that the OS needs a ton of work. But I can clearly see by this comment that you haven't updated, because there's a clear way to delete folders after the update.
    I do agree that the OS update (is it 3.0.2 or something?) fixed a LOT of the bugs but it's still pretty far behind in terms of responsiveness and "NOT-bugginess" of the iPad.
    It got better then it used to be suddenly for some reason. (Maybe it finished "Synergizing" as someone mentioned to me) and I'm currently in the process of doing the various Preware tweaks and see how that helps so I have high hopes for this device!

Also gotta mention that the community seems so very awesome so far!
    Quote Originally Posted by dong1225 View Post
    I do agree that the OS update (is it 3.0.2 or something?) fixed a LOT of the bugs but it's still pretty far behind in terms of responsiveness and "NOT-bugginess" of the iPad.
    Yeah, like I said, I'm definitely very aware that there are still bugs in 3.0.2, but judging based on 3.0.0 is a mistake.

3.0.2 takes it from borderline unusable to pretty decent.
    I imagine there are going to be a lot of posts like this in the future.

The Touchpad does not work that well out of the box. It's buggy as hell in fact. I've owned one for a couple of hours and am already annoyed. Deleted folders continue to show up in the picture browser. Files in the proper format aren't found by the music and video players, even when I added them with HP Play. When I try to reboot, changes I made to how the TP is configured are lost.

How did HP think they could compete with the iPad with a product in this state? Apple's stuff is generally pretty reliable, the iPad has a massive app store, and they are well established as the leader in the market. The incompetence from upper management at HP is just unbelievable.
    Please read the instructions thoroughly before messing around with the tablet. If you connect to the Synergy accounts listed in "accounts" you will need to let the tablet connect to the cloud as all the information takes a little time to synch to your Touchpad.

And as another poster mentioned, update your software to 3.0.2. This makes a major difference in overall performance.
    I'll take your word for it that the update and a lot of tweaking fixes things, but the fact that it was launched in such a state is unacceptable. It should not be borderline unusable with the OS it came with out of the box.

BTW, when I tried to update, I was told it would download the update over the next couple of days, so I wait. Not good.
    Nah, just click the update button once you're in there - it is set to download it by default over time, but you can force the update right now.

I just updated one 15 minutes ago.
    I'll take your word for it that the update and a lot of tweaking fixes things, but the fact that it was launched in such a state is unacceptable. It should not be borderline unusable with the OS it came with out of the box.

BTW, when I tried to update, I was told it would download the update over the next couple of days, so I wait. Not good.
    There should be a button to initiate the download immediately.

I didn't find that the 3.0.2 update helped that much with responsiveness. The patches I mentioned earlier help but I'm still seeing stuff like webOS not responding to taps and random stutters.

Goto Software Manager where you should be able to download it immediately. If this message still appears, it might be due to the major influx of users doing an OTA.

Give it little time. this platform is much different from others. While not perfect, it still has many features that others can't touch. the "Synergy" concept being my favorite of all.

If yo need additional help please don't hesitate to ask. There is also a HEP feature in the Settings Tab, or use "Just Type"

Enjoy.

Enjoy
    I do like the UI and a lot of the features. The synergy thing and the cards. I can see where they were going with it. It's just too bad HP handled the release the way they did.
    I like how I can't even log in to the PreCentral forums on the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I like how I can't even log in to the PreCentral forums on the TouchPad.
    The forums should work, just the front-page that doesn't.

I've been browsing the PreCentral forums from my Touchpad alone for the past two weeks.
    The forums should work, just the front-page that doesn't.

I've been browsing the PreCentral forums from my Touchpad alone for the past two weeks.
    Really? I keep trying to log in, it takes me to the "logged in successfully, redirecting you now" page, then dumps me back on the front page, logged out as if nothing happened.
    Really? I keep trying to log in, it takes me to the "logged in successfully, redirecting you now" page, then dumps me back on the front page, logged out as if nothing happened.
    Strange, it's worked for me, sorry. I mean it has been a few days since I've had to log in, since I have it set to remember me, but I wouldn't think that'd make a difference.
    Strange, it's worked for me, sorry. I mean it has been a few days since I've had to log in, since I have it set to remember me, but I wouldn't think that'd make a difference.
    Yeah, I can't figure it out. I cleared the cache, cleared the cookies, killed the browser process, etc and I still can't log in. I'll just chalk it up to one of those weird glitches, I guess.

I'd ask you to try logging out and back in again but I'm not sure if you'd ever forgive me if you ended up being unable to log in again.
    I'd ask you to try logging out and back in again but I'm not sure if you'd ever forgive me if you ended up being unable to log in again.
    Yeah, not going to be able to do that until I get my laptop back from being repaired.
    It doesn't appear to log you in, but if you click to reply or post it works. I just did it and I'm posting from my touchpad now.

edit - now that I've posted everything is working and I'm showing myself logged in.
    It doesn't appear to log you in, but if you click to reply or post it works. I just did it and I'm posting from my touchpad now.

edit - now that I've posted everything is working and I'm showing myself logged in.
    Oh wow, you're right - thanks!

jhoff80, is it just my imagination or does the web browser cache very aggressively now? I'm having to manually reload pages a lot more frequently than I remember having to do on 1.4.5.
    I noticed this as well nappy. I'm looking forward to a -always reload page- patch - assuming there isn't already one available or a workaround. I'll fiddle with things and see what I can come up with.

After I posted that response I went back to browse the forum a tiny bit more and noticed nothing had changed. A quick reload fixed the problem but it's annoying to have to constantly reload when I'd rather the system load a proper updated page by default..
    I noticed this as well nappy. I'm looking forward to a -always reload page- patch - assuming there isn't already one available or a workaround. I'll fiddle with things and see what I can come up with.

After I posted that response I went back to browse the forum a tiny bit more and noticed nothing had changed. A quick reload fixed the problem but it's annoying to have to constantly reload when I'd rather the system load a proper updated page by default..
    I wonder if there's a way to just disable caching entirely. Browsing forums is a bit of a chore because of all the manual reloading. I mean, I just had to reload the forum to see that you replied to my previous post. Then when I clicked this thread, the browser loaded it from its cache and I had to reload again just to see your response.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast