1.    #1  
    I have been noticing this on my touchpad. After browsing multiple tabs on advanced browser, tweeting with spas hd, facebook with the app and other stuff, I notice a significant sluggishness on the device.

with continuous use even some simple tasks like opening a page or link or email seems like an eternity.

I have to do a Luna reboot on my touchpad to fix the sluggishness. I also notice thAt when this issue is starting about to start, the bookmarks on the advanced launcher do not have the screenshot anymore but something like "hash has expired" or something...

I have tried this stock or overclocking with uberkernel or the other experimental kernels....

any ideas what this is? Or any solutions?
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    heavy browsing, multiple cards with flash will do this.

i installed jstop from preware and set it to auto garbage collect.

Keeping cards open below 9 at a time especially with flash or browser helped me.
  3.    #3  
    thanks! I'm trying it out now.
    Hi,

Did you find jStop helped here?

I'm finding I have to do regular reboots to clear the memory (or perhaps it's just memory fragmentation?)

I've got jStop running, however, it doesn't seem to make a difference - I've ended up turning the auto-garbage collect off, as it didn't seem to make programs work better - in fact, it appears to make them work slower, because it regularly performs a GC, in which case the machine comes to a grinding halt while it does it... :-(

Has anyone else got any suggestions?

Thanks

Carl.

(Uberkernel, 1.5Ghz, with tweaks)
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    There have been a number of threads on here - one developer (sorry I forget your name!) has systematically been tracking memory usage for a while and it seems that the problem is that while you think that throwing away cards closes the program that doesn't actually happen and they remain in memory - nobody is quite sure if it is a problem with Luna or something more fundamental underneath it.
    According to Hardbeatz (our resident HP person), throwing a system app's card away does not close it - you have to slingshot those to close them. The example he gave was the Calendar, after a reboot, opening the calendar takes a few seconds, toss the card, then open the calendar again and it comes up instantly. Now, slingshot the card away, then open the calendar and it will take a few seconds again.

What this means is that what you see as a memory leak may in fact be normal behavior for system apps - to clear memory they have to be closed correctly.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I may be off on this comment, but will throw in my two cents anyway.

Is it not so that in general Linux only frees up memory when it is needed? (e.g. TP will use up to the 1GB before releasing memory previously allocated to closed programs)
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post
    According to Hardbeatz (our resident HP person), throwing a system app's card away does not close it - you have to slingshot those to close them. The example he gave was the Calendar, after a reboot, opening the calendar takes a few seconds, toss the card, then open the calendar again and it comes up instantly. Now, slingshot the card away, then open the calendar and it will take a few seconds again.

What this means is that what you see as a memory leak may in fact be normal behavior for system apps - to clear memory they have to be closed correctly.
    Interesting I had not heard this before. Thanks.
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
  9.    #9  
    just to update my findings after using the auto garbage collection of the jstop app...

I have ran into this problem slow loading of hi res images in the photo app.

since then I have uninstalled it. And doing a Luna restart every now and then.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MobileBill23 View Post

Clarification, please:

1) Define slingshot: swiping/pulling DOWN with a card and letting go so it shoots up and away?

2) What falls under the category of "system apps"? Is there such a thing as a "non-system app" that closes when you swipe a card up and away?

Thanks,

-Victor
    1) Yes.

2) Apps that come pre-installed such as email, calendar, messages, music, photos etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gusset View Post
    Clarification, please:

1) Define slingshot: swiping/pulling DOWN with a card and letting go so it shoots up and away?

2) What falls under the category of "system apps"? Is there such a thing as a "non-system app" that closes when you swipe a card up and away?

Thanks,

-Victor
    Sledge answered you, but I wanted to add that with the slingshot you also get the added bonus of hearing the angry birds sound effect if you hold your TouchPad in landscape with the home button to your left.
  13.    #13  
    does this affect system apps only? How about 3rd party apps? Do you have to slingshot it for it to really close?