webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Demo Touchpad Model?
Demo Touchpad Model?
Like Tree2Likes

Old 08/20/2011, 09:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

I went into a store today and they mentioned the demo Touchpads on display cannot be sold as they don't have the full version of the OS. Does this sound correct, and has anyone ever bought a demo device and gotten it to work (i.e. doctored)?
lynmarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 01:13 PM   #2 (permalink)

a friend of mine bought a demo unit this morning. we're trying to doctor it now.

At the "Connect your device..." step we're not getting the "Next" button to be active. any idea?
Old 08/20/2011, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
a friend of mine bought a demo unit this morning. we're trying to doctor it now.

At the "Connect your device..." step we're not getting the "Next" button to be active. any idea?
Can you boot the device in USB mode. Power off and then, power on while holding the volume up button.
Old 08/20/2011, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

you know i wrotie this and other wrote this in atleast 5 other threads ,

THE DEMO UNITS ARE SPECIAL DEMO UNIT SOFTWARE!!!

do a search please when asking about things , chances are there are other threads talking about the same thing.

The demo units ( that is the special demo units) run special version of WebOs for Demo purposes .

Saying that , it is entirely possible if someone can completely remove the demo software , they can install webos from a recovery from HP , just a guess.
Wh0mpu5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 04:24 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post

Any luck? We jus bought the 32gig display from staples. At first i figured a hard reset would fix things then could d/l the latest consumer software, well that didnt work. I'm new to webos, so is the doctor working to remove the demo software?
yojasonyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 06:45 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, as previously mentioned, it is built into the operating system itself. However, if you do a secure full wipe and then unlock developer mode, you can then delete anything and everything that says "HP" and "Demo" from the launcher. Also delete the HP Demo entry under Software Manager.

I've done this and there is only one drawback I've found: you'll periodically get a "HP Demo looking for updates" in the top right corner. If you press it, it will go away and to my knowledge thus far, it has not updated anything. After several restarts and doing the updates, I've noticed that the demo mode doesn't return short of that little notification.

Small price to pay for a $150 32gb model. I'm sure that eventually, given enough incentive, someone could find a way to remove the demo update popup entirely, but the method I provided does work.
bhefty89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhefty89 View Post
Ok, as previously mentioned, it is built into the operating system itself. However, if you do a secure full wipe and then unlock developer mode, you can then delete anything and everything that says "HP" and "Demo" from the launcher. Also delete the HP Demo entry under Software Manager.

I've done this and there is only one drawback I've found: you'll periodically get a "HP Demo looking for updates" in the top right corner. If you press it, it will go away and to my knowledge thus far, it has not updated anything. After several restarts and doing the updates, I've noticed that the demo mode doesn't return short of that little notification.

Small price to pay for a $150 32gb model. I'm sure that eventually, given enough incentive, someone could find a way to remove the demo update popup entirely, but the method I provided does work.
Have you tried running the webOS Doctor on it?
Old 08/20/2011, 07:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

Why would anyone buy a demo unit when you can get a new one for $99. I understand they sold out already, but HP is getting crap loads of TouchPads back from BestBuy & other retailers. They will probably start selling more by early to mid next week.

Plus they probably have a boatload of 64gb white TouchPad's as well as the 4g ones that I'm sure they will be liquidating as well.
SmartFah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 07:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevember View Post
Have you tried running the webOS Doctor on it?
the doctor works as far as erasing the demo and uploading a new version of webos...now I'm stuck at creating and account as its saying unable to make an account plz try again later or contact HP.

any ideas?
Old 08/20/2011, 07:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Is it the same for developer units? Because they don't have access to the full HP App Catalogue (and possibly other things missing).
noxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 07:31 PM   #11 (permalink)

i'm having the same probleme
mge091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 07:33 PM   #12 (permalink)

Please reread this thread or the link below, I believe its possible by putting the TouchPad in USB mode and then trying to Doctor.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...stock-rom.html
Old 08/20/2011, 07:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojasonyo View Post
the doctor works as far as erasing the demo and uploading a new version of webos...now I'm stuck at creating and account as its saying unable to make an account plz try again later or contact HP.

any ideas?
I bought a demo unit this morning, doctored it, and then tried to log in to my account during setup. Same as you I couldn't get logged in so I called HP and they said it won't activate because the serial number is listed as a demo.

I took and back to Wal-Mart and THANK GOD they gave me my money back!!
runner77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 07:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

I am able to doctor it and comes up normal but you can not create or sign into an existing account even and you cant get any farther. this was a demo model.
AdidasNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 07:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner77 View Post
I bought a demo unit this morning, doctored it, and then tried to log in to my account during setup. Same as you I couldn't get logged in so I called HP and they said it won't activate because the serial number is listed as a demo.

I took and back to Wal-Mart and THANK GOD they gave me my money back!!
I figured it was linked to the serial number...they need to unlock them I'm sure there is a way.
Old 08/20/2011, 07:39 PM   #16 (permalink)

Man I'm in the same boat, I'm unable to get past the log in screen. Are you sure that it's linked to the serial number and not because of the traffic hitting the server? I've been trying for about an hour with no luck.
phossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 07:42 PM   #17 (permalink)

I bought 2, one demo and one not a demo. cant make or log into an account on the demo one only.
AdidasNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 07:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossil View Post
Man I'm in the same boat, I'm unable to get past the log in screen. Are you sure that it's linked to the serial number and not because of the traffic hitting the server? I've been trying for about an hour with no luck.
I was able to setup a new inbox touchpad no problem...only the demo my friend and I have wont allow us to login. So based off the previous poster I assume its based off serial. But I'm new to webos so I am just guessing
Old 08/20/2011, 08:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

I purchased a 32g demo unit from HH Gregg today. The battery had been drained to zero. Once charged, I looked and saw the demo software in the "downloads", but it wasn't running. I performed a secure erase and the product rebooted as if it were new right out of the box. Logged into my HP account and it downloaded everything as it was when I erased and returned my original priced model yesterday. I was surprised to see the demo unit had been uploaded to 3.02. In fact, without having added Preware patches as my previous model, this unit seems snappier. None the less, I am happy and feel fortunate... I went to six stores within a half mile radius and everywhere else was sold out.
cawhalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by mikevember likes this.
Old 08/20/2011, 09:13 PM   #20 (permalink)

I hadn't tried plugging it into a computer and using Doctor. I did all this today at work. I also didn't attempt to download anything through the catalog, as my main concern was just removing the demo mode. So it's possible my solution isn't complete.
bhefty89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0