Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    You'll soon be sorry after running the doctor -- I believe HP detects a demo unit trying to create a WebOS account and simply refuses to let us have an account. Basically nothing can be done with these devices ;(
    I have an account and demo. It won't let me login.
    Everyone check this thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3080024

You can find the phone number to call HP and beg to have it unlocked. I'm trying first thing in the morning, hope someone is there Sundays.
    Once i heard best buy was selling them agian I ran up there and grabbed one. Looks like I'll be taking the demo back to Staples!
    demo units were made for the very fact that they weren't suppose to be sold.

we were told retailers were never suppose to sell them.. of course this was before the product even launched.

if you bought a demo unit, the only way is if HP unlocks those serial #'s, otherwise its literally a brick.
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    After a number of calls with HP support I got in touch with a guy who understood my situation. He said that I should just return it, the demo units may have more issues than just a blocked serial number. Radio Shack took it back without any problems - the only problem now is that I'm touchpadless!
    Quote Originally Posted by noxis View Post
    Is it the same for developer units? Because they don't have access to the full HP App Catalogue (and possibly other things missing).
    I have already DR mine, and I got stuck in the log in screen I called in to HP only to be told that even if I could somehow log in I still would never have access to the app store!
    But at the moment I am wondering if anyone has had any luck at login in somehow?
    I bought a demo unit, and after secure wipe, it went right back into demo mode with HP looking for updates on it. So I doctored it, and I am in the same boat with everyone else now with no way to register it. I am hoping HP will release the serial numbers. I checked with HP support on 2 channels (chat and phone call) and they said they couldn't do anything about the serial numbers. But maybe when the regular week comes someone with some sense will help us out at HP. Well, just not the ones that decided to ax their entire division..lol..
    http://forums.precentral.net/newrepl...eply&p=3080465

Quote Originally Posted by Koiji412 View Post
    Okay, looking at other threads, I see the problem and it is entirely that it is a demo unit.
    Doctoring will replace the ROM (and get rid of that annoying demo that keeps popping up), but the problem lies in registration because HP's servers won't allow demo units to log in to nor create a new webOS profile (guessing because people sometimes steal demos).

However, one guy said that one can call HP (1-866-477-3824) and request (under these fire sale circumstances) them to "unlock" the demo unit's serial number so it can act as a regular device. I'll be calling Monday morning (as they are closed Sundays) and posting my results back here.
    For those of us who took the DEMO units and ran webOS Doctor to try and wipe the DEMO software off; I made a set of instructions that outline how to do what chekz did to get passed the account registration screen which doesn't let us move forward:

HP TouchPad Demo Unit Solution - Bypass Activation

Many Many thanks to checkz for helping me/us discover this....
    carrlitoz14 likes this.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cawhalen View Post
    I purchased a 32g demo unit from HH Gregg today. The battery had been drained to zero. Once charged, I looked and saw the demo software in the "downloads", but it wasn't running. I performed a secure erase and the product rebooted as if it were new right out of the box. Logged into my HP account and it downloaded everything as it was when I erased and returned my original priced model yesterday. I was surprised to see the demo unit had been uploaded to 3.02. In fact, without having added Preware patches as my previous model, this unit seems snappier. None the less, I am happy and feel fortunate... I went to six stores within a half mile radius and everywhere else was sold out.
    After reading all of the posts, I believe I got really lucky. The "demo" unit was not likely an HP demo unit b/c it had been updated to 3.02 and I had none of the problems anyone else has reported experiencing. When I checked the profile of the unit I had, it inlcuded a profile that appeard to have been created for an HHGregg employee. A secure erase was all I performed and I had a brand new model waiting for me to create my profile (or log into the one I have already created).
    Quote Originally Posted by bluepoint951 View Post
    For those of us who took the DEMO units and ran webOS Doctor to try and wipe the DEMO software off; I made a set of instructions that outline how to do what chekz did to get passed the account registration screen which doesn't let us move forward:

HP TouchPad Demo Unit Solution - Bypass Activation

Many Many thanks to checkz for helping me/us discover this....
    Thanks for the post it was the best ever. Now just in case there is a way...How can I download apps ? I know precentral has some what of an app store but on some apps like foursquare and facebook it just redirects you to the HP site, and some of the apps I have found out there only seem to be for the pre. So second part to the question, does anyone know any sites for .ipk files?
    I just overclocked this, and was working fine. I turned it off after like 15 minutes, and now it doesn't turn on?! I have put the charger in, but there is no difference, ie. no notification of charging etc. or anything.

Any help appreciated.

PS. When I plug it into the laptop it detects it and tries to download drivers for 'QHSUSB_DLOAD'??
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12