Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
  1.    #1  
    Well i went to 3 different Walmarts this morning, and called 3 others in my area (yes we have that a crap load of Walmarts in the Chicago NW suburbs). And guess what All touch pads where sold out by 7am according to the workers in the electronics department. As a Webos user (we have 3 pixis in our household) and a diehard Webos fan, I am kind of mad about this. Even if touchpad was not discontinued and remained at the original price I would have bought one when I am able to afford it.

I never knew there where so many people who liked the touchpad and webos for it to be sold out everywhere so fast. But I may be wrong, and most of those who bought it did just for the deal and have no idea what webos is, and probably never heard of the touchpad until yesterday.

So get ready Precentral forums for an influx of new members. I have a feeling we are gonna get some really wacky questions soon. so here is a list of what we may see.

What is Webos?
    What is a card?
    What is a Profile?
    What is synergy?
    how do you multitask?
    Does this have retina display?
    Can i put IOS on my touchpad?
    Can i put android on my touchpad?
    how do you put widgets on this thing?
    where are all the apps? Where are the fart apps?
    What is palm?
    What is a pre and or Pixi?
    What is a preware?
    what is homebrew, and how much does this coffee cost?

I know i sound a little like a sore looser i couldn't get one, but it irks me that so many people who probably never even heard of webos, are extremely excited by getting this deal at the expense of the end of our beloved Webos.
    kyleoXD, bhughes719 and giggles like this.
    I'm in the same boat, so I'll be a sore loser with you. I've loved WebOS since January 2009, first in line at a Best Buy to get a sprint pre-, held out until a month ago waiting for the next Sprint phone that never came (frankenpre+ died).

Couldn't afford the touchpad, but was justifying the price come payday at the end of the month. Then Thursday happened, and I was resigned to not getting one ever.

Then the firesale was announced and I was happy, and have a ton of BB gift cards. Figure "I'll wait until morning".

By the time I saw the news that Best Buy isn't doing it, everywhere else was sold out.

No touchpad for me, it seems.
    I have a feeling eBay will be active with these for the next 6 months or so - some people probably picked up many on the hopes of a market occurring over the next few weeks. Also, HP will probably start selling refurb'ed units that were returned from the Staples sale (mine included). Plus HP may add more inventory when best buy (and any other retailer) returns the 250,000 units they supposedly have.

I woke up this morning sad to see that the firesale began last night while I was sleeping and I missed out, but luckily my local Walmart (Asheville, NC) had several and had updated their prices.

I have been missing my Touchpad since Thursday night. Glad to have one coming home again.
    I'm here! First post, but I know what all this is (lurker). Thought I'd register since I own a TouchPad and still plan on keeping it. Just found out about the fire sales going on, but seems I'm too late. Thought I'd get a couple for the kids!
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Well i went to 3 different Walmarts this morning, and called 3 others in my area (yes we have that a crap load of Walmarts in the Chicago NW suburbs). And guess what All touch pads where sold out by 7am according to the workers in the electronics department. As a Webos user (we have 3 pixis in our household) and a diehard Webos fan, I am kind of mad about this. Even if touchpad was not discontinued and remained at the original price I would have bought one when I am able to afford it.

I never knew there where so many people who liked the touchpad and webos for it to be sold out everywhere so fast. But I may be wrong, and most of those who bought it did just for the deal and have no idea what webos is, and probably never heard of the touchpad until yesterday.

So get ready Precentral forums for an influx of new members. I have a feeling we are gonna get some really wacky questions soon. so here is a list of what we may see.

What is Webos?
    What is a card?
    What is a Profile?
    What is synergy?
    how do you multitask?
    Does this have retina display?
    Can i put IOS on my touchpad?
    Can i put android on my touchpad?
    how do you put widgets on this thing?
    where are all the apps? Where are the fart apps?
    What is palm?
    What is a pre and or Pixi?
    What is a preware?
    what is homebrew, and how much does this coffee cost?

I know i sound a little like a sore looser i couldn't get one, but it irks me that so many people who probably never even heard of webos, are extremely excited by getting this deal at the expense of the end of our beloved Webos.
    Yep, I am the first of them new members

I bought the TP for WebOS since I liked it better than everything else when I demoed one at BB two weeks ago but couldn't afford it at its original price

I only got two questions so far:

Where can I download Preware?

Where can I download Kindle? It doesn't show in the App store (US).
    Yep. The guys who got it at Office Depot didn't even know what it was called. Me and the other guy waiting in back of them got shut out and were original Pre owners.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Macflyer View Post
    Yep, I am the first of them new members

I bought the TP for WebOS since I liked it better than everything else when I demoed one at BB two weeks ago but couldn't afford it at its original price

I only got two questions so far:

Where can I download Preware?

Where can I download Kindle? It doesn't show in the App store (US).
    Precentral has a really good step by step article for installing webos quickinstall and preware, search for it in the search box. I used it for my phone not exactly sure if it will work for touchpad though haven't tried it since i don't have one.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Yep. The guys who got it at Office Depot didn't even know what it was called. Me and the other guy waiting in back of them got shut out and were original Pre owners.
    I saw some other people at the stores i went to, and they where calling other stores to check their stock on their iPhone and androids.

Hp should have emailed everyone with an existing palm profile, so basically anyone with a webos phone, and offered it to them for that price, before selling it to everyone else. But i guess they just don't care.
    Precentral has a really good step by step article for installing webos quickinstall and preware, search for it in the search box. I used it for my phone not exactly sure if it will work for touchpad though haven't tried it since i don't have one.
    will do after work.....thanx
    I saw some other people at the stores i went to, and they where calling other stores to check their stock on their iPhone and androids.

Hp should have emailed everyone with an existing palm profile, so basically anyone with a webos phone, and offered it to them for that price, before selling it to everyone else. But i guess they just don't care.
    They should at least have limited to 1 or max. 2 per customer.

I can only imagine how many resellers bought truckloads online. There will be people buying it from ebay once the official channels are emptied. If I can't get another one or two for $99, I might buy myself for max $149 on ebay as well. That's still a fat margin for the reseller.
    why would it irk you?

this is awesome. we now have a significantly larger community
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I went to six stores within a mile radius before I got the last 32G at HH Gregg (a display, but I know enough to reset and get rid of display software). PO'd 8 others waiting to talk to a sales rep. Crazy!
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    why would it irk you?

this is awesome. we now have a significantly larger community
    And probably a significantly dumber community...haha jk. the webos community especially here on precentral is more than amazing, probably the best tech based community on the internet, escpecially when you add in the work of webos internals, and all the others in the homebrew community.

but what is the point of having an awesome community, when there will be no new hardware. I know the community is more important now than ever because of the lack of any innovation coming out of HP. But the majority of users are still sporting Pre minuses that are barely moving along. you can only go so far with such old hardware.

The majority of the new community will be new touchpad owners who could probably care less about webos, and just got one due to the extremely low price. most probably will have no interest in the survival of webos or continued development. To many this is a discontinued model, and will be just happy with the touchpad functionality as it stands today.
    We were all new to webOS at one point. Soon enough they will care about webOS just like the rest of us. Each and every person who owns a TouchPad is as equally important to webOS, the webOS community, and this site as everyone else.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I'm waiting for the moment when all of these iOS and android people picking up a "cheapo" tablet, take it home, start flicking through some cards, and then log in to tell us all how amazing WebOS is ( and it is) and how they wish it was available on smart phones.

It will happen. You watch.
  16.    #16  
    We were all new to webOS at one point. Soon enough they will care about webOS just like the rest of us. Each and every person who owns a TouchPad is as equally important to webOS, the webOS community, and this site as everyone else.
    I wasn't really trying to imply otherwise. I was just a little upset that many of the webos faithful like myslef couldn't get their hands on the touchpad, as it is sold out in so many places, even though we have been waiting for new hardware for years. I just hate to see so much joy over the death of our beloved Webos.
    The "webOS faithful" had their chances to get their hands on a TouchPad the entire month of July, and August also for that matter.

FenrirWolf likes this.
    I've heard from a few friends out and about that Best Buy is sending all theirs back instead of selling them, so they'll be available online soon I'm sure. Office Max wouldnt sell theirs either, Staples had 6 in stock by me, Meijer had some too but last I checked they were full price still.
    And probably a significantly dumber community...haha jk. the webos community especially here on precentral is more than amazing, probably the best tech based community on the internet, escpecially when you add in the work of webos internals, and all the others in the homebrew community.

but what is the point of having an awesome community, when there will be no new hardware. I know the community is more important now than ever because of the lack of any innovation coming out of HP. But the majority of users are still sporting Pre minuses that are barely moving along. you can only go so far with such old hardware.

The majority of the new community will be new touchpad owners who could probably care less about webos, and just got one due to the extremely low price. most probably will have no interest in the survival of webos or continued development. To many this is a discontinued model, and will be just happy with the touchpad functionality as it stands today.
    Why make such assumptions. I would hope that anyone who has been out there last night and today is looking for the best mobile OS that happens to be on deeply discounted hardware.

Welcome to all the new members. You've come to the right place to learn more about your new TouchPad. Please ask questions. That's one reason we are here.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 08/20/2011 at 11:55 AM.
    mysterfix and fxspec06 like this.
  20.    #20  
    The "webOS faithful" had their chances to get their hands on a TouchPad the entire month of July, and August also for that matter.
    Well i can't speak for anyone else, but i could not afford it at the time, i have just graduated college and currently unemployed and looking for a job. The touchpad was first on my list of things to buy once I got a job and my first paycheck, even at the full launch day price. If a pre3 came out i would have bought that too. I am pretty sure that the majority of those who bought a touchpad today would not have bought it at any price point above $150 or so.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast