Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Maestro1 View Post
    Well i can't speak for anyone else, but i could not afford it at the time, i have just graduated college and currently unemployed and looking for a job. The touchpad was first on my list of things to buy once I got a job and my first paycheck, even at the full launch day price. If a pre3 came out i would have bought that too. I am pretty sure that the majority of those who bought a touchpad today would not have bought it at any price point above $150 or so.
    That's probably a safe assumption, but even at $150 you most likely are not going to buy one on a whim. They sold out everywhere for the most part within an hour of stores opening. I'd say its also pretty safe to assume that those people had a motive and knew what they were buying. There may be some webOS newbies but there will be some webOS faithful in the pack. Its good for webOS to get into as many hands as possible. It has a bleak future but this just may save it. I wouldnt doubt 50% of what was sold today winds up on ebay and craigslist either. So you do have options still.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    in reality 95% of the new arrivals will probably all ask "how do i install android" as were starting to see on other websites.

but u never know.
    Maestro1 likes this.
    Well i can't speak for anyone else, but i could not afford it at the time, i have just graduated college and currently unemployed and looking for a job. The touchpad was first on my list of things to buy once I got a job and my first paycheck, even at the full launch day price. If a pre3 came out i would have bought that too. I am pretty sure that the majority of those who bought a touchpad today would not have bought it at any price point above $150 or so.
    Again, on what do you base this assumption?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Why make such assumptions. I would hope that anyone who has been out there last night and today is looking for the best mobile OS that happens to be on deeply discounted hardware.

Welcome to all the new members. You've come to the right place to learn more about your new TouchPad. Please ask questions. That's what one reason we are here.
    I hope the same as well, that everyone who got a touchpad at a fire-deal where those who already knew of the awesomeness of WebOS. But the matter of fact is the mass consumer market does not. However most techies do know of how awesome webos is, and it is the only OS that I see stands in high regards across the tech-oriented world, even those in the Android camp or IOS camp hold high regards for webos. They owe it Webos for all the new development android and IOS have gotten, in regards to multitasking, notifications, synergy, universal search.

I am not upset with anyone, except HP they raised our hopes sooo high up, only to crush them. It is just hard to see precentral go from an enviroment of death and despair on Thursday to joy and jubilation on friday.
  5.    #25  
    Again, on what do you base this assumption?
    This was my response to the other poster who said that webos faithful had all of july and august to purchase a webos device, which i would have given that i was able to afford it.

My assumption comes from the fact, that a tablet that could not sell at all to save its life (literally), and were the extreme majority of the purchases most likely came from die hard webos users; sells out in less than one day, after an astonishing price cut (that makes it cheaper than those weird off-brand android tablets)
    And probably a significantly dumber community...haha jk. the webos community especially here on precentral is more than amazing, probably the best tech based community on the internet, escpecially when you add in the work of webos internals, and all the others in the homebrew community.

but what is the point of having an awesome community, when there will be no new hardware. I know the community is more important now than ever because of the lack of any innovation coming out of HP. But the majority of users are still sporting Pre minuses that are barely moving along. you can only go so far with such old hardware.

The majority of the new community will be new touchpad owners who could probably care less about webos, and just got one due to the extremely low price. most probably will have no interest in the survival of webos or continued development. To many this is a discontinued model, and will be just happy with the touchpad functionality as it stands today.
    New member here and I consider myself (and hopefully am really) not the kind of ignorant person just jumping the gun because of the price.

I'm pretty young and haven't had a chance to use some of the classic Palm devices (Treo, Centro, etc) but I was swept away by the debut of iPhone and have been using an iPod touch since 2008.

I've always had a great interest in webOS and Palm devices, with the card/stack based multitasking and web centric app environment and refined UI that truly outdid iOS (previously iPhone OS) in many regards.

I'm frankly "annoyed" by Android's lack of attention to a well-made UI/UX and the community touting the widgets and notification bar as THE INNOVATION of the century. And was hoping to get a chance to actually own a webOS device someday or later.

I was starting to consider getting one when the price started dropping to $399 but when it $99 I had no more excuse.

And well, you know what? I'm quite disappointed. I don't know what exactly went wrong with webOS's transition to Tablet but with that thing packing a 1.2GHz Dual Core processor and 1GB RAM, I see no acceptable reason for the below-par FPS animation and stutters and freezes and more importantly the bugs I encounter everywhere.

One of the most annoying thing was that while the demo unit seemed usable enough, when I actually started using it and tried to customize to my needs by syncing and finding apps, I realized that HP's syncing software HP Play is in beta and DOES NOT work properly on my Mac. (It's a beta software used to sync discontinued product, how ironic.)

If this was the first touch-screen centric tablet, then it's a huge leap beyond the crappy 'tack-on-a-touchscreen-on-windows-PC' but after using my sister's iPad and deciding that I wanted to venture out from the iOS ecosystem, overall usability has been a big letdown for me.

Being able to use flash is good but not necessarily and advantage as videos that does work on iPad runs much smoother and controls respond much quicker on the iPad and it seems like TouchPad's HTML5 support is pretty crippled in regards to media playback so that's a bummer.

I'm seriously hoping that webOS goes open-source and leads to the great homebrew community here to drastically improve upon it but until that happens, I'll try venturing out to installing Preware and using some existing fixes. I heard there are fixes for general card responsiveness and whatnot.

So, my main point: I was expecting a polished product, TouchPad is unfinished, and I'm sad that I would have to resort to homebrew solution to make it bearable like you have to do for majority of Android products.

Despite all my rant, I really hope I can enjoy using webOS and TouchPad and hope to frequent this place. Thanks!
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    new owner here, too. and yes, i currently own an android phone and tablet, but have always been interested in webOS as i was an old Palm user.

anyway, i'm quite excited with my touchpad. here is a question that the OP did not include, "what is Homebrew?"
    I said along time ago that Palm should have bookmarked Precentral on all webOS products. Or atleast included the homebrew app on them.
    Homebrew refers to apps, patches, and kernels that are not found in the official app catalog. You can access them through PreWare or through WebOS Quick Install.

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ml#post2850874
    I had a TP and returned it to staples yesterday after hearing about the $99 firesale. I was lucky enough to pluck one off HP's website, was hoping to order more for friends and family who know me as the "webOS" guy. I think it is sad to see so many people picking it up just cause or trying to resell later. Even if HP just announced 200/275 they would keep some people away or stop them from hoarding 10+ TP's. I only hope those people will buy a few apps to help support webOS devs.

I feel like the scavengers are picking at what is left of webOS. :-( And those of us that's been here since the Treo days are just left out in the cold(I feel super lucky to get one, I hope you guys will be able to get one). Isn't it fitting that this is the result of our palm loyalty?
    Maestro1 likes this.
    come on guys we've always prided ourselves in being a very welcoming and strong community. I think yeah we all feel like we got alittle screwed but thats no reason to take it out on new members. I say we welcome them with open arms, when i joined i remember how nice it was that everyone was so willing to help out and answer my noob questions. No reason to take out the bitter on them. Hell i've been a pre user for a while now just grabbed one of the firesale touchpads and i'm probably gonna have questions myself, i hope not everyone shares this sour grapes attitude ......we're usually so awesome, lets not let hp and their BS ruin us as a unit.
    you have a point but...but a precentral post before the fire sale from HP would have gone a long way.....just saying

a day notice with a dev link
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by sepherous View Post
    come on guys we've always prided ourselves in being a very welcoming and strong community. I think yeah we all feel like we got alittle screwed but thats no reason to take it out on new members. I say we welcome them with open arms, when i joined i remember how nice it was that everyone was so willing to help out and answer my noob questions. No reason to take out the bitter on them. Hell i've been a pre user for a while now just grabbed one of the firesale touchpads and i'm probably gonna have questions myself, i hope not everyone shares this sour grapes attitude ......we're usually so awesome, lets not let hp and their BS ruin us as a unit.
    That was completely not my intention. my intent was largely satirical and a maybe to be a little funny. im sure many buyers are tech people who never tried webos and this gave them a good opportunity, and yes there could be some who just thought oh wow cheap tablet by a good name brand, im buying it.

I and others where trying to kind of make a joke based on what i believe many would acknowledge, that webos users and the webos community ended being a niche group of techies, geeks, nerds and those who lived for very open hackable software. And never became a mass market consumer success as intended. From my experience the only people who even knew what Webos was techie geeks like my self. So as a result of the fire sale of the touchpad i jokingly insisted that their would be an onslaught of people in the community who did not know the value of webos, and just blindly bought a tablet by a name brand that was cheaper than many of those strange off-brand android tablets you see out there.

and yes I did even admit in my original post, that i was a little sour due to the fact i could not find one and went on a wild goose chase this morning with everything being sold out.
    Last edited by Maestro1; 08/20/2011 at 02:05 PM.
    Can't watch live flash streams and tweet about em at the same time on iOS, can you? The more you use webOS the more you'll grow to love it. I welcome all the newcomers! Gonna be a heckuvaride!
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Homebrew refers to apps, patches, and kernels that are not found in the official app catalog. You can access them through PreWare or through WebOS Quick Install.

Application:Preware - WebOS Internals

http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ml#post2850874
    thanks. so it's like rooting and flashing ROMs on android. lots of reading to do...
    I don't mean to be unwelcoming at all, I hope they enjoy webOS, want it on a phone, and buy apps to support devs.

But let's face it, once the more tech savy of them start home brewing, how many of them are likely to give to webOS internals even with the WEB-A-THON asking for any donation, saying no donation is too small. I'm amazed that our small community has already come up with almost $5k!
  17.    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by werkx View Post
    thanks. so it's like rooting and flashing ROMs on android. lots of reading to do...
    rooting is not really required for webos, u just have to put into developer mode and you can do whatever the hell you want with it and cannot brick it either. all you need to know is the konami code.

and there are themes, not really roms. but once you install preware you can do it all from preware app, even overclock and stuff like that directly from an app.
    This is going to be like when WOOT.com had the viewsonig Gtablet for $270. It was a mad house of new buyers. seemd like 5000 folks joined XDA developers webiste for the Gtablet in a week. but after a month or 2 they all moved on to other things and the site is slow now that Viewsonic stopped supporting the Gtablet.

Same thing will hapopen with the Touchpad. When new useers find out that there are very few apps going forward they will also move on. But $99 is still a good price.
    Quote Originally Posted by Macflyer View Post
    Yep, I am the first of them new members
    Where can I download Preware?
    .Once you get up to speed on Homebrew and Preware docs take a look on how to install WOSQI and Preware using simple step by step instructions... [Click Here]
    ........JC.........

dwightshrute likes this.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    I think this will take webOS where its needs to be mainstream.... Everywhere in my country is sold out. I am a long time webOS fan, I own the original sprint pre bought on launch day. But I didn't bought the touchpad until today I simply knew it would drop price but not this much! Heck I even got one for my wife and she is loving it! This will make people buy apps I already did and hope something positive comes out of this... Now everyone will n
    know webOS and not just webOS fans..
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast